The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Giroud was only scoring to keep Welbeck out of his position, now that Welbeck's injured there's no competition for Giroud's place and he think he can rest on his laurels
Reply 421
Original post by shawn_o1
Giroud was only scoring to keep Welbeck out of his position, now that Welbeck's injured there's no competition for Giroud's place and he think he can rest on his laurels

Welbeck was a panic buy that 16m could have been better spent but Wenger had no intention of buying a striker it was only when Giroud got injured. I'm not sure if he even wants a striker this summer but hopefully he won't make the same mistake again.
Original post by al_94
Welbeck was a panic buy that 16m could have been better spent but Wenger had no intention of buying a striker it was only when Giroud got injured. I'm not sure if he even wants a striker this summer but hopefully he won't make the same mistake again.

to be fair to wenger, he got welbeck spot on. - wanted to sign him on a season long loan..

Which looking back, would have been pretty perfect, had him as cover, put in a good shift, now send him back to united and buy some one great.

-- unfortunatly it seems the board opted for a full transfer, which at the time most people on here were delighted by, including me, and annoyed at wenger for only wanting a loan.. - we were wrong
If the new homegrown rule is introduced, Welbeck will have been a steal at 16m.
Reply 424
Original post by fallen_acorns
to be fair to wenger, he got welbeck spot on. - wanted to sign him on a season long loan..

Which looking back, would have been pretty perfect, had him as cover, put in a good shift, now send him back to united and buy some one great.

-- unfortunatly it seems the board opted for a full transfer, which at the time most people on here were delighted by, including me, and annoyed at wenger for only wanting a loan.. - we were wrong

Stop being a Wenger fanboy how is that spot on to sign a player as a panic buy because Giroud got injured? Why he can't go for a top striker Welbeck is not going to help us win the title and we don't need him the money should have been put towards a better player he's a hypocrite says he only wants WC players then goes and buys an average striker.
Reply 425
The second Welbeck was announced we were doomed for top 4. 3rd is by no means an improvement from last season because we're yet again at the back of the pecking order in the lines of teams who were actually challenging. Liverpool had an inevitable drop off and UTD finished 7th so apart from not playing a CL qualifier (which isn't something to be proud of) we've made **** all progress this season in terms of the league. 2nd would have meant something at least but we bottled that too.

Matter of fact is we're not going to win the title next season either It's more than likely we'll stay at 3rd or even 4th, especially if Chelsea now sign Griezman, and Depay alone has made me more cautious of UTD, not to forget the 3 or 4 other players they're still yet to sign. We can't spend £150m every summer like UTD but what we could have done is set up the team to challenge in the previous two windows so that we wouldn't have to address the squad deficiencies that we have now. We still need a proficient striker, a partner/replacement for Coquelin in CDM, an efficient winger, a youth LB and arguably a better goal keeper (though Ospina has time on his hands).

That's still 3/4 signings away and I'm more than sure Wenger will sit back this window whilst our rivals strengthen beyond means.
Original post by al_94
Stop being a Wenger fanboy how is that spot on to sign a player as a panic buy because Giroud got injured? Why he can't go for a top striker Welbeck is not going to help us win the title and we don't need him the money should have been put towards a better player he's a hypocrite says he only wants WC players then goes and buys an average striker.

I am not a wenger fanboy - actually the oposite, I am strongly wenger-out.

But I am also not so blind that I cant admit to the times wenger gets things right..

and the key thing here is that there is a fair bit of doubt as to whether wenger actually wanted to sign welbeck. A lot of stories have come out suggesting that he only wanted him on loan and not to buy him..

If these reports are to be believed, and wenger did only want a loan, but the board over-ruled him.. then your point about him being a hypocrite is rubish... and it shows that this time wenger was right, and we should have just gone with a loan..

Shame he was off at a charitable football match, and not around to stop the transfer going ahead
Reply 427
I am not a wenger fanboy - actually the oposite, I am strongly wenger-out.

But I am also not so blind that I cant admit to the times wenger gets things right..

and the key thing here is that there is a fair bit of doubt as to whether wenger actually wanted to sign welbeck. A lot of stories have come out suggesting that he only wanted him on loan and not to buy him..

If these reports are to be believed, and wenger did only want a loan, but the board over-ruled him.. then your point about him being a hypocrite is rubish... and it shows that this time wenger was right, and we should have just gone with a loan..

Shame he was off at a charitable football match, and not around to stop the transfer going ahead

The point he's trying to make is it was Wenger's fault that we were in that situation in the first place. We really shouldn't have been if we signed someone proficient before hand.
Original post by RA95
The point he's trying to make is it was Wenger's fault that we were in that situation in the first place. We really shouldn't have been if we signed someone proficient before hand.

Can't you see the man is building a strong squad, he's doing it in a intelligent and subtle way. I don't care what anybody says Welbeck at £16M was incredibly smart business, he's a great addition to the squad. He'll improve under Wenger.

Not many were ever delighted by the Welbeck signing. Majority opinion was that it was better than nobody, but a complete panic signing and that Welbeck is an average player.

Which was and still is correct.

edit - Except Sev of course, but he'd proclaim Wenger a genius if he signed David Nugent ffs.
Original post by e aí rapaz
edit - Except Sev of course, but he'd proclaim Wenger a genius if he signed David Nugent ffs.

David Nugent would bang 20 a season once Wenger gets to work on his technique...No but in all seriousness I expect the league before Wenger contract is up or else he has to walk. There no excuses to hide behind this time round
Reply 431
Original post by sevchenko
David Nugent would bang 20 a season once Wenger gets to work on his technique...No but in all seriousness I expect the league before Wenger contract is up or else he has to walk. There no excuses to hide behind this time round

You said the exact same thing after we gave up on Cesc. Wenger would finish 4th next year and you'd still believe we're making progress.

I suppose whilst our rivals are nurturing talents like Depay/Griezman and you're happy with waiting for Welbeck to actually become a 1 in 2 striker (if ever) then it's blind faith like this that holds us back. It's not a matter of finances anymore either.
(edited 8 years ago)
Don't think you need that many players, a CDM and a striker is enough. Both of those aren't necessities either, Giroud looks like he has 20 league goals in him when fit, and Coquelin has stepped up (but I wouldn't bank on that for the long term). Your squad is good enough for a title challenge, comes back to Wengeritis affecting your club, in the form of injuries and general underperformance.
Original post by RA95
You said the exact same thing after we gave up on Cesc. Wenger would finish 4th next year and you'd still believe we're making progress.

I suppose whilst our rivals are nurturing talents like Depay/Griezman and you're happy with waiting for Welbeck to actually become a 1 in 2 striker (if ever) then it's blind faith like this that holds us back. It's not a matter of finances anymore either.

The way I want to handle the next two years is that Wenger has my support in everything his does and I'll judge in May 2017 whether he should continue or not. We owe him that much at least. I think we have a good chance of winning the league within the next two seasons tbh

It not really blind faith when players who come to Arsenal have a track record of improvement. Think back to Giroud, Ramsey and Monreal.

Finances still play a factor, we've got money but we can't be stupid with it, our money needs to spent very wisely. Just look at Spurs 100M spent on rubbish in 13/14. Liverpool £100M on rubbish 14/15. I remember there were a few moaners on here complaining about Falcao going to Utd for £20M loan fee and wages just look how that turn out for them. You have to trust Wenger's methods in finding quality additions for our squad.
The way I want to handle the next two years is that Wenger has my support in everything his does and I'll judge in May 2017 whether he should continue or not. We owe him that much at least. I think we have a good chance of winning the league within the next two seasons tbh

It not really blind faith when players who come to Arsenal have a track record of improvement. Think back to Giroud, Ramsey and Monreal.

Finances still play a factor, we've got money but we can't be stupid with it, our money needs to spent very wisely. Just look at Spurs 100M spent on rubbish in 13/14. Liverpool £100M on rubbish 14/15. I remember there were a few moaners on here complaining about Falcao going to Utd for £20M loan fee and wages just look how that turn out for them. You have to trust Wenger's methods in finding quality additions for our squad.

£200m cash reserves. Dying to be spent on a top striker or a top DM, right now, whilst you're still competitive and your top assets haven't been stolen by a better club or fallen away (for whatever reason).
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
£200m cash reserves. Dying to be spent on a top striker or a top DM, right now, whilst you're still competitive and your top assets haven't been stolen by a better club or fallen away (for whatever reason).

Wenger has already shown he isn't afraid to splash the cash. It's about finding the quality players to add to the squad. You have to respect Wenger's judgement in this department. I'm sure if world class players become available he'll pounce.
Can't you see the man is building a strong squad, he's doing it in a intelligent and subtle way. I don't care what anybody says Welbeck at £16M was incredibly smart business, he's a great addition to the squad. He'll improve under Wenger.

I've seen him play more than you have, and I can safely say he won't.

He'll be sold to someone like Everton next year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 437
Welbz will never be good enough
Original post by sr90

Wenger seems to rate him, he often speak very highly of him. I think his versatility, excellent attitude, physical attributes appeals to Wenger more so than the likes of Podolski can offer.

Doubt he'll be sold under Wenger tbh
Reply 439
Original post by sr90

Posted from TSR Mobile

And even then Everton have the young Lukaku who could become twice the striker Welbeck is. So it says enough that he'd struggle to become the main striker for a side in the top 9/10 let alone 4

Latest