The Student Room Group

Edexcel History Unit 2 6H102 20/05/15

Scroll to see replies

I did the women question. For the 40 marker I did the property acts. The exam was ok..but this exam in general just irritates me..
I made 4 a3 mind maps on everything I've learnt this year, spent ages learning everything then only a tiny fragment came up! Not saying I want a longer/more exams but to think of how many hours of lessons and homework we've all done for an 80min exam :/
Original post by lulumaca16
I did the women question. For the 40 marker I did the property acts. The exam was ok..but this exam in general just irritates me..
I made 4 a3 mind maps on everything I've learnt this year, spent ages learning everything then only a tiny fragment came up! Not saying I want a longer/more exams but to think of how many hours of lessons and homework we've all done for an 80min exam :/

What points did you raise and own knowledge? I don't know if i did enough and now I feel like I'm ruined.
Original post by sophiamed
I did 2bi. On the women's paper. I just finished on time and didn't manage to read over it. I'm not sure whether I added the right/ enough own knowledge. now I'm sad and scared.

I did that question too, some things I included/how I wrote it:

Introduction paragraph stating my overall argument and set out the sources in relation to it: my general answer was that the acts, especially the 1882 act were important and some of the most significant for the legal status of women in the 19th century but as a whole, in the broader picture, they really had limited impact on the rights of women.

then I argued points that agreed with the statement that they had little impact - used own knowledge and sources e.g. explained that the 1870 act consisted of inheriting of money up to £200, rented property etc....and this had little impact because previous finances were kept by the husband, only new earnings could be kept by the wife etc also the 1882 act allowed women to inherit unlimited property and have complete control over the finances, but still had no affect on unmarried women and also the finance side had limited impact as most married women didn't work/received low wages anyway.

then some paragraphs to counter this that would disagree with the statement - i.e. the 1882 act gave women complete independance in their marriage + blurred the distinction of seperate spheres, so was an important act, and explained the rights they had prior to 1870 eg husband had complete control + the case of caroline norton in 1869 led people to believe women needed greater legal rights and this was achieved.....

then conclusion etc.....can't remember everything I said :P
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MouseyBrown
I brought in Beveridge, appeasement, interwar unemployment, Let us Face the Future/New Jerusalem etc., and quite a bit about what the Labour politicians did during the war.

Basically little details of the campaign vs fundamental changes that meant Labour would win whatever.

I mentioned "Let us face the Future" and talked about the progressive zeitgeist too :smile:)
In question b (India, effectiveness of Gandhi's campaigns) I talked about how the sources supported my own knowledge instead of using my own knowledge to support the sources. I didn't really give wether they agree or disagree with the statement and instead used them to supplement my own view on Gandhi's effectiveness. Would I lose marks for this???? :s
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AJC1997
I did that question too, some things I included/how I wrote it:

Introduction paragraph stating my overall argument and set out the sources in relation to it: my general answer was that the acts, especially the 1882 act were important and some of the most significant for the legal status of women in the 19th century but as a whole, in the broader picture, they really had limited impact on the rights of women.

then I argued points that agreed with the statement that they had little impact - used own knowledge and sources e.g. explained that the 1870 act consisted of inheriting of money up to £200, rented property etc....and this had little impact because previous finances were kept by the husband, only new earnings could be kept by the wife etc also the 1882 act allowed women to inherit unlimited property and have complete control over the finances, but still had no affect on unmarried women and also the finance side had limited impact as most married women didn't work/received low wages anyway.

then some paragraphs to counter this that would disagree with the statement - i.e. the 1882 act gave women complete independance in their marriage + blurred the distinction of seperate spheres, so was an important act, and explained the rights they had prior to 1870 eg husband had complete control + the case of caroline norton in 1969 led people to believe women needed greater legal rights and this was achieved.....

then conclusion etc.....can't remember everything I said :P

I didn't include single women! Oh no. Did you mention about that liberal party thing that was in the source?
Hi i did the attlee question, i wrote about gestapo speech, the fact that the conservatives used churchil as a figure head with no real policies and the fact that the population wanted social change, i also used the sources a lot, do you think thats enough own knowledge for a B?
I didn't include single women! Oh no. Did you mention about that liberal party thing that was in the source?

haha don't worry, yeah now that I think about it I did say something about that, I said that as a point to agree that there was little improvement because they treated the property act as kind of a distraction to the broader enfranchisement of women
Original post by AJC1997
Haha yeah I think the sources were quite reasonable overall. Yeah same here for the punch source. I also tried to find a way to use it to agree with the statement (that little improvement was made) and to support source 11/12 (can't remember) and used the quote that involved 'teasing englishwomen' or something like that to suggest maybe there is a deeper message and a hint of sarcasm so maybe supporting that the improvements might have been short lived and temporary, but I made it clear this was questionable.

I did the first (b) question about the married women's property acts of 1870/1882 which I quite liked because I had gone over those acts a few times so managed to bring in some own knowledge about the acts and what they involved, overall I said the 1882 act was an important policy that blurred the distinction of seperate spheres and gave women a legal independence of their husbands in marriage - also discussed prior to 1870 and the rights they had then and what led to the acts a bit - but my overall answer was that the acts had limited true physical impact on the rights of women as a whole - because it had no impact on unmarried women and also the financial side benefited little women as many received low incomes or didn't work anyway + the bigger movement for votes/suffrage was at the core of women's rights and this had limited impact on it.....etc etc

Yeah, I think for the A question as long as the evidence you use supports yor argument well and it makes sense and isn't anything random you'll be credited - Evaluating the provenance takes like 4 lines and is worth a lot so I did a little on that too.

I'm just hoping that someone else has done the second question and I wasn't the only one, the majority of the students did the first one but I preferred the second. Usually the least favorite choice and often the most complicated worded question often has the easiest sources and argument to develop, one of the reasons why I went for the second B question.
Original post by lulumaca16

We'e all in the same boat. Plus it improves and develops your method of revision and preparation for the future so at Uni and even in the world of work.
Original post by AJC1997
haha don't worry, yeah now that I think about it I did say something about that, I said that as a point to agree that there was little improvement because they treated the property act as kind of a distraction to the broader enfranchisement of women

Well at least I know that's a valid point. Oh dear - I just wish I had a minute to read it over. I guess all I can do know is work hard for my other exams.
Who else did the the second B question (2bii) for the Changing Role of Women's paper - Regarding public life and their political role?
Reply 572
Original post by jono__.__
Hi i did the attlee question, i wrote about gestapo speech, the fact that the conservatives used churchil as a figure head with no real policies and the fact that the population wanted social change, i also used the sources a lot, do you think thats enough own knowledge for a B?

I did something similar, but I also wrote about the Beveridge report and the effect the war had on the political opinion of the electorate, good luck!
It was hard to really give any statistics but that is alot of own knowledge :smile:
What points did you raise and own knowledge? I don't know if i did enough and now I feel like I'm ruined.

In all honesty I found there was much own knowledge to put in. I talked about what the acts included and also John Stewart mills and babara Leigh smith
Well at least I know that's a valid point. Oh dear - I just wish I had a minute to read it over. I guess all I can do know is work hard for my other exams.

don't worry, sounds like you did well tbh :smile: yeah biology for me tomorrow, yay!
Original post by JBrns97
I did something similar, but I also wrote about the Beveridge report and the effect the war had on the political opinion of the electorate, good luck!
It was hard to really give any statistics but that is alot of own knowledge :smile:

yeah i forget the beveridge report, i couldnt really put in any statistics either, i just kind of gave a brief overview of each one, but i used the sources a lot, hopefully i might be able to get a B aha
Reply 576
I did Britain-Ireland and it was a dream! Incredibly generous with part A, even more generous than GCSE level!

Hope everyone else's went well!
Original post by AJC1997
me too, I did the question about the married woman's property acts, you?

Same, i found it quite direct the question, what points did you write about?
Original post by j5994
who did the question on the Boer War in experience of warfare???? feel im the only one

I did it as well, I felt good about it. How did yours go?
Reply 579
Original post by jono__.__
yeah i forget the beveridge report, i couldnt really put in any statistics either, i just kind of gave a brief overview of each one, but i used the sources a lot, hopefully i might be able to get a B aha

Likewise, did you do Stalin and Civil rights for the other exam?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending