The Student Room Group

Edexcel IGCSE Physics Exam 20th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Anyone have any guesses for the grade boundaries, I would say around 130.
Yeah same aha! Would did you get for GPE on the squirral?
And did you get 10 or 17 for the velocity time graph on the bus?
Reply 63
Original post by chazer154
And did you get 10 or 17 for the velocity time graph on the bus?

I can't remember, what was the question?
i didnt understand the last question, nd that question bout kitchen hazards, i failed in it
For **** sake...just realised that you had to keep the mass in kg for working out GPE and KE of the squirrel...would i get any marks even if i converted kg into g for the squirrel?
Original post by Phutile
I can't remember, what was the question?

It was the second question...you know with the velocity time graphs?
Original post by Iphysics
Hi, is anyone doing the Edexcel igcse physics paper 1 on Wednesday? I'm hoping it will be a good paper!

Yuppp :smile: I have done it :smile:
It was actually quite difficult...
for the gpe and ke questions, i converted the mass into g instead of leaving as kg. how many marks will i lose?
Original post by abcjadmjksadk
for the gpe and ke questions, i converted the mass into g instead of leaving as kg. how many marks will i lose?

SSAAAAMMMMMEEEE!!!! Im not sure but its frigin annoying!!!! :frown:
Final question, hardrive question and kitchen question? Anybody know answers to those?
Original post by sjsuleiman
i failed hahahaha so sad

omg really ?
Original post by Ewarwoowa
Final question, hardrive question and kitchen question? Anybody know answers to those?

Harddrive - Radiation
Kitchen - Not sure but just did frayed wires, cracked plug case, water is conductor
Reply 73
Original post by abcjadmjksadk
Harddrive - Radiation
Kitchen - Not sure but just did frayed wires, cracked plug case, water is conductor

I wrote that 1) The electrical appliance could surge and if there is a faulty fuse or no fuse at all, there could be a fire.
2) That the live wire could cause the case to carry current, and if the earth wire breaks, then the user could be electrocuted.
3) That in the toaster, if left on for too long, the wires could overheat and start a fire.

Thoughts?
Original post by Ewarwoowa

These questions were so trivial and silly to put in an exam paper and they annoyed me and loads of other people in my year although probably it'll be these questions which will force the grade boundaries lower because very few people will have got full marks on these questions. Anyway here's what I put... a lot of my answers are probably wrong though...

Kitchen Question

If all the appliances are used at once then the current may become too large and the wires will heat up possibly causing a fire if a circuit broker isn't used.

Water and electricity together pose a safety hazard; electricity may be conducted to the user and also potentially short circuit something.

If there are many wires it's a trip hazard (this is a very weak answer).

Exposed heating elements are dangerous to touch in a toaster

Hardrive Question

The hard drive on top has a greater surface area exposed to the air.

The black hard rive onto is a more efficient set up as black radiates heat(to the surroundings) more effectively than black, thus having its surface area more exposed is advantageous.

When the white is on the bottom it absorbs less heat from the black hard drive, this is good as it has less surface area to dissipate heat.

The black hard drive on top will absorb the heat better and transfer it to an exposed area were heat can be dissipated more efficiently than the white hard drive as black absorbs heat more effectively.

Last Question,and the worst
(why is the temperature probe unlikely to be accurate)

Temperature is a linear scale; the graph does't have a constant gradient (its curved

Something relating to when the temperature is zero the current isn't

The probe uses the relationship between temperature and resistance/current, the graph is wrong in showing this relationship

What was the answer to the six mark question on why is it dangerous to hv electrical appliances in the kitchen?
Reply 76
Original post by Astrtricks
These questions were so trivial and silly to put in an exam paper and they annoyed me and loads of other people in my year although probably it'll be these questions which will force the grade boundaries lower because very few people will have got full marks on these questions. Anyway here's what I put... a lot of my answers are probably wrong though...

Kitchen Question

If all the appliances are used at once then the current may become too large and the wires will heat up possibly causing a fire if a circuit broker isn't used.

Water and electricity together pose a safety hazard; electricity may be conducted to the user and also potentially short circuit something.

If there are many wires it's a trip hazard (this is a very weak answer).

Exposed heating elements are dangerous to touch in a toaster

Hardrive Question

The hard drive on top has a greater surface area exposed to the air.

The black hard rive onto is a more efficient set up as black radiates heat(to the surroundings) more effectively than black, thus having its surface area more exposed is advantageous.

When the white is on the bottom it absorbs less heat from the black hard drive, this is good as it has less surface area to dissipate heat.

The black hard drive on top will absorb the heat better and transfer it to an exposed area were heat can be dissipated more efficiently than the white hard drive as black absorbs heat more effectively.

Last Question,and the worst
(why is the temperature probe unlikely to be accurate)

Temperature is a linear scale; the graph does't have a constant gradient (its curved

Something relating to when the temperature is zero the current isn't

The probe uses the relationship between temperature and resistance/current, the graph is wrong in showing this relationship

As another take on the questions, these were my answers;

Kitchen Question;
The electrical appliance could surge and if there is a faulty fuse or no fuse at all, there could be a fire.
That the live wire could cause the case to carry current, and if the earth wire breaks, then the user could be electrocuted.
That in the toaster, if left on for too long, the wires could overheat and start a fire.

Hard Drive Question;
The black hard drive on the top allowed it to have a greater surface area to radiate heat, as black emits more heat. The black could absorb more heat than the white, then emit it out of the top. The white being on the top was bad as it would just reflect all the light that the black emits on it.

Electrical Thermometer;
I interpreted this question a little differently, but here are my answers;
The current is not directly, uniformly proportional to the temperate.
During lower temperatures, the gradient is shallower, so the temperature changes less in comparison to the current.
Note; this answer may be wrong -> The thermister can only measure the temperature rise in the current by the actual resistance and voltage, it does not take into account external factors such as loss of heat due to radiation or addition of heat due to the room being warm.

I wonder if these are correct..
The last question was awful. The whole paper was just, alright. I hope to god they keep the grade boundaries low.
I put:

- the toaster could burn the skin and if a conductor (eg knife) was put into the toaster to try and get the bread out, it could give you an electrical shock as it would touch the resistors carrying the voltage therefore is dangerous.

- if the shielding broke in the microwave, it could send the microwaves out and heat human body tissue, causing danger.

- water could get from the tap or the dishwasher into the plug, causing an electric shock.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
Original post by chazer154
I put:
- the toaster could burn the skin and if a conductor (eg knife) was put into the toaster to try and get the bread out, it could give you an electrical shock as it would touch the resistors carrying the voltage therefore is dangerous.
- if the shielding broke in the microwave, it could send the microwaves out and heat human body tissue, causing danger.
- water could get from the tap or the dishwasher into the plug, causing an electric shock.

Sounds good, I originally wrote that the water supply could mix with the electrical supply, but I thought that was too far fetched. In my opinion, these questions were far, far too obscure, and there are at least 25+ answers to it. Only one issue with your answers, and this isn't even wrong, just the phrase "causing danger". It's technically correct, as danger means "the possibility of bodily harm or injury", it just sounds a little off. Overall though, that's good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending