The Student Room Group

Japanese AS??

Hii I took the Japanese A-level on Monday and was wondering how people found it? I found it quite challenging actually....

Scroll to see replies

I've moved your thread to a more suitable area of the forum :smile:
The Reading/Translation was alright but the writing was not great. Not the worst, but it certainly could've been better :P
Original post by HazMusicPanda
The Reading/Translation was alright but the writing was not great. Not the worst, but it certainly could've been better :P

I thought that the translation was sooo difficult!!! i hope the grade boundaries are low :3
Original post by phoebeisgreat
I thought that the translation was sooo difficult!!! i hope the grade boundaries are low :3

Oooh yeah. I didn't know how to describe the Google thing. Is is the Google Business or Company? And that small bit before the maps, I literally made it up :P Haha. Let's hope they're low!
Oooh yeah. I didn't know how to describe the Google thing. Is is the Google Business or Company? And that small bit before the maps, I literally made it up :P Haha. Let's hope they're low!

I translated it as Google company but i'm not sure :s-smilie: let's hope !!!
I translated it as Google company but i'm not sure :s-smilie: let's hope !!!

How did you find the writing?
How did you find the writing?

it could have been worse-I finished on time but I felt as though I made a lot of mistakes :frown: I included a lot of kanji but that was about the only good thing!! what about you??
it could have been worse-I finished on time but I felt as though I made a lot of mistakes :frown: I included a lot of kanji but that was about the only good thing!! what about you??

I finished with like 40 minutes to spare! I spent 20 minutes checking. The writing was quite difficult to think about it. I think what I wrote was in a slightly childish manner but I managed to answer all the points in a paragraph each with a fair amount of kanji. There were some words I know I could've used kanji for but I just couldn't think of them! And do you know whether it's 400 minimum or maximum?
I finished with like 40 minutes to spare! I spent 20 minutes checking. The writing was quite difficult to think about it. I think what I wrote was in a slightly childish manner but I managed to answer all the points in a paragraph each with a fair amount of kanji. There were some words I know I could've used kanji for but I just couldn't think of them! And do you know whether it's 400 minimum or maximum?

Wow! I finished on the dot!! I think what I wrote was slightly childish too- what did you write for 'what do you do when work is hard?'
And I think it's 400 maximum- if you filled in all the boxes then that's enough. I went slightly over but only by a line so I hope that's okay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Did u people get Yamanote line for 山の手線 for the translation?
Original post by Emimusic

I don't remember but that was the line in the translation that really threw me. I remember what I wrote didn't make sense...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
I don't remember but that was the line in the translation that really threw me. I remember what I wrote didn't make sense...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same! It was quite unfair though - we can't be expected to know the names of train lines..
Wow! I finished on the dot!! I think what I wrote was slightly childish too- what did you write for 'what do you do when work is hard?'
And I think it's 400 maximum- if you filled in all the boxes then that's enough. I went slightly over but only by a line so I hope that's okay.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah okay. I went over by just under half a page of the extra writing thing I got (which I had to write horizontally for... Urgh! Haha).
Well I'm fluent in Japanese and I've been speaking it pretty much since I could talk. I think I put something like I ask my teachers and my friends and consult a book. :P
Original post by Emimusic

Probably note because I don't recognize it. But that makes sense when I see it :P
Ah okay. I went over by just under half a page of the extra writing thing I got (which I had to write horizontally for... Urgh! Haha).
Well I'm fluent in Japanese and I've been speaking it pretty much since I could talk. I think I put something like I ask my teachers and my friends and consult a book. :P

Ahh same-I wrote that I read my textbooks slowly and then get help from my family :smile: are you a private candidate or do you learn japanese at school?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did the exam as well and found it challenging. Compared to the 2014 paper it did seem like an increase in difficulty although I don't know if that was to do with the fact I spent half an hour doubting everything I had written at the end! Especially the early reading questions, I was all over the place.

The translation was also quite difficult, I completely missed the 山の手線. Not expecting any good marks at all there!

After two awful sections I tried to go for it in the writing, but completely over-complicated it. Made so many mistakes, one kanji error and then various grammatical issues. It seemed like the 2hrs 45min just flew by before I could fix anything!

Been kicking myself all week about it- was a disaster after the results I was getting with past papers! Really hoping for lower grade boundaries.
Original post by EllisWarren
I did the exam as well and found it challenging. Compared to the 2014 paper it did seem like an increase in difficulty although I don't know if that was to do with the fact I spent half an hour doubting everything I had written at the end! Especially the early reading questions, I was all over the place.

The translation was also quite difficult, I completely missed the 山の手線. Not expecting any good marks at all there!

After two awful sections I tried to go for it in the writing, but completely over-complicated it. Made so many mistakes, one kanji error and then various grammatical issues. It seemed like the 2hrs 45min just flew by before I could fix anything!

Been kicking myself all week about it- was a disaster after the results I was getting with past papers! Really hoping for lower grade boundaries.

it was definitely harder than the 2014 paper-couldn't agree more and I thought that the translation was the hardest part!!
The writing task could have been a lot harder, but it was still really difficult :frown:(
Ahh same-I wrote that I read my textbooks slowly and then get help from my family :smile: are you a private candidate or do you learn japanese at school?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Our school doesn't do Japanese so my mum taught me. I'd done like 5 worksheets throughout the year then she gave me a quick crash course about a week before the exam :P
Original post by EllisWarren

The writing for 2014 was much worse than this one! And the translation wasn't that bad. I managed to get through most of it with guessing at a couple of things, I didn't get the Yamanotesen. I finished and left the exam hall with like 20 minutes to spare after having checked it for 20 minutes. Does it really take everyone that long!? :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending