The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CescaD96
Hi. :smile: I'm 18, currently in the middle of A2 exams. Back in February I went to my GP and I've been diagnosed with moderate depression (and I hear voices but that's a different story.)
Do go to your GP. It does sound like you are suffering from anxiety (I have social anxiety disorder). However, since you're 17 I think they might have to tell your parents. Telling my dad that I was referred was the hardest thing I ever did but I'm glad I did because he is so supportive of me now. :smile:

And you won't be dismissed. Mental health is very important in teenagers, and if I had only looked after myself when I was younger, I wouldn't be where I am today. So, please, talk to someone. :jumphug:

I want to go to my GP but they might treat me as a child and be really patronizing especially since I am without an adult. I am not yet ready to tell my dad because he is currently in a tough situation and is expecting me working away as the good child whilst everything else goes wrong. I dont want to be another thing that has gone wrong for him. I am not ready to tell him and he is not ready to hear it just quite yet. But I still want to deal with this problem on my own.

How did the whole diagnosing process work for you?

I have no one I can talk to atm but I do know I want to face this problem...

Thank you for the advice <3
Original post by CescaD96
Migraine still present. Pandol was taken. It was so bad that my school seriously considered withdrawing me from my exam, but I did it anyway. :woo:

We're still putting in special circumstances though. :nods:

Do you know any good migraine and anxiety medications? I've tried co-codamol and nurofen but they dont help for long term. Is Panadol good? How did your school find out? Who did you tell first? Yeah i think I recall my teacher talking about special circumstances whilst I cried my eyes out :L
RANT

Spoiler

Original post by ilovereading
I want to go to my GP but they might treat me as a child and be really patronizing especially since I am without an adult. I am not yet ready to tell my dad because he is currently in a tough situation and is expecting me working away as the good child whilst everything else goes wrong. I dont want to be another thing that has gone wrong for him. I am not ready to tell him and he is not ready to hear it just quite yet. But I still want to deal with this problem on my own.

How did the whole diagnosing process work for you?

I have no one I can talk to atm but I do know I want to face this problem...

Thank you for the advice <3

You're 17, near enough an adult, and the fact that you want to face this head on is very brave of you, and your GP will respect that. You won't be seen as a child, you'll be seen as someone who is ready to take control of their problems and not let them rule your life.

I understand what you mean about the whole good child thing. I'm the eldest of 3 and my brother is dyslexic and borderline ADHD, and a lot of attention is on him. I'm the "smart" one of the family. That's what made it so hard for me to tell my Daddy that I was ill. In fact - I've still not told him about my voices. :colondollar:

I went to my GP on the 13th February, and since I was deemed an urgent case, I was referred to my local cmht and was in with them on the 20th March. In 90 minutes they had my initial diagnosis and I've been on antidepressants since the 1st of April. I'm in weekly now for therapy and check ups since they are not sure of some things.

If you ever need to chat, PM me, really. I get the exam pressure. A Levels are horrendous. :smile:
Original post by ilovereading
Do you know any good migraine and anxiety medications? I've tried co-codamol and nurofen but they dont help for long term. Is Panadol good? How did your school find out? Who did you tell first? Yeah i think I recall my teacher talking about special circumstances whilst I cried my eyes out :L

The Pandol sucks, didn't work at all. I told my Religion teacher first as he has known me since first year, and my form teacher too. My school have been very supportive of my illnesses. As for special circumstances though, I have to get a crap load of medical notes.
cnt do this. :cry:
uuurg :cry2:
Original post by sherbet_lemons7

:hugs: If you need to talk, PM away.
im a complete fool
Original post by ScaryScience
im a complete fool

You're not, what's wrong? :hugs:
Original post by Pathway
:hugs: If you need to talk, PM away.

Thanks chook. :lovehug: Feel horrendous. :cry2:

How are you? :loveduck:
Thanks chook. :lovehug: Feel horrendous. :cry2:

How are you? :loveduck:

:console: Can I help?

I'm ok.
Original post by Pathway
cnt do this. :cry:

im a complete fool

:hugs: all three of you. not a fool scary

--------
struggling :frown:
Original post by Pathway
You're not, what's wrong? :hugs:

I seriously am but thanks. not doing anything, making things harder for myself in terms of eating and sleeping, got an exam on Friday and haven't started revision, just keep lying in bed hoping somehow bad things will happen, engaging in damaging behaviour, triggering myself, I moan im depressed but essentially im making things 100% worse and just deserve all this ****
Original post by furryface12

--------
:penguinhug:
Original post by furryface12

--------

Here if you need me.

I seriously am but thanks. not doing anything, making things harder for myself in terms of eating and sleeping, got an exam on Friday and haven't started revision, just keep lying in bed hoping somehow bad things will happen, engaging in damaging behaviour, triggering myself, I moan im depressed but essentially im making things 100% worse and just deserve all this ****

You don't deserve this, you're ill and you need help, it just sucks that everyone who is supposed to help you isn't. They're the fools, not you. You deserve help. Here if you need anything.
I feel like crap.
Original post by Pathway
Here if you need me.

You don't deserve this, you're ill and you need help, it just sucks that everyone who is supposed to help you isn't. They're the fools, not you. You deserve help. Here if you need anything.

im just self sabotaging though, making things worse. tbh just utterly hopeless and have given up a bit
im just self sabotaging though, making things worse. tbh just utterly hopeless and have given up a bit

Even if you are self-sabotaging, that's most likely due to the MH issues you have. :sadnod: That's not your fault. Are you safe? :hugs:
I'm just feelin even more mopey than usual cos I realised that I'm going to be separated from my friends I only just made. and we don't have enough of that friendship yet to keep it going into uni and I'm so horribly upset. I will still have my closer friends but it just feels horrible and i don't want to be experiencing this. My whole confidence about uni was in the idea that me and this close friend will be going to the same one, as we have the same choices. What if not though? That will destroy me

Latest