The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A G485 - Frontiers of Physics - 18th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chem@uni
You were wrong because you said he was wrong when he wasnt
both your ideas were right
but you were wrong to say his idea was wrong when it was correct
you literally said " thats really stupid".

Since you're already lurking conversations why not lurk more and go a bit further up where he said one of my idea was "incorrect". So I guess we are even then?
Original post by sagar448
Since you're already lurking conversations why not lurk more and go a bit further up where he said one of my idea was "incorrect". So I guess we are even then?

I have no problem with you both being a bit confused about the idea and feeling the other is incorrect
I just think calling it stupid is too far and deserves an apology
Reply 262

Woah m8

fite me in cambridge engineering dept lecture halls fam
Original post by chem@uni
I have no problem with you both being a bit confused about the idea and feeling the other is incorrect
I just think calling it stupid is too far and deserves an apology

I'm sorry master, I'll be a good boy.

Original post by Elcor
X

Apologies for inconvenience. :smile:
Original post by Elcor
Woah m8

fite me in cambridge engineering dept lecture halls fam

Bring it, I'll finish you with my knowledge of F = ma. >:biggrin:
Reply 265
Apologies for inconvenience. :smile:

Np :smile: Good luck with your studies
anyone else feel G481/2/4 all seem to have a theme and then G485 seems to be everything else in physics?
Im doing all 4 exams this year g481/2/4/5 and ive got to say that g482 is by far the most difficult for me personally, g484 and g485 are pretty nice. This years mechanics was prettt difficult though
Hey guys I'm not sure if I'm doing enough revision in a day. So could you guys tell me how much revision you do for PHYSICS only in a day? It could be in terms of papers or hours?
Hey guys I'm not sure if I'm doing enough revision in a day. So could you guys tell me how much revision you do for PHYSICS only in a day? It could be in terms of papers or hours?

I've done 2 G485 papers and a few G484 papers

Gonna do 2 a week of G485 till exam (starting next week) and then 1 a week of G484
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I've done 2 G485 papers and a few G484 papers

Gonna do 2 a week of G485 till exam (starting next week) and then 1 a week of G484

You've done 2 G485 and a few G484 in a day? O_O or am I getting confused e_e

Nice idea of two a week but bro, where do you get different papers or do you just redo the OCR ones?
Reply 275
You've done 2 G485 and a few G484 in a day? O_O or am I getting confused e_e

Nice idea of two a week but bro, where do you get different papers or do you just redo the OCR ones?

At first my plan was to do each one only once and leave a few for just before the exam, but I actually think it's a better idea to do them all well in advance of the exam and go over every one at least 2 times with examiner reports.
Original post by Elcor
At first my plan was to do each one only once and leave a few for just before the exam, but I actually think it's a better idea to do them all well in advance of the exam and go over every one at least 2 times with examiner reports.

Sounds good but do examiner reports even help? I've never used them. Are they helpful?

Well the way I do it is first of all I try to memorise and understand the course completely, know all definitions, explanations and how to do the questions, then after that I also do Old paper questions that are related to the topic( those can be found on the Internet, or on the OCR heinemann book, also for more practise you can do the cambridge worksheet papers ( the first questions tend to be very simple but the extension and further can be quite tricky) I then do past papers and look at the mark scheme and try and improve and see where I'm good and weak. Hope it helped.
Anyone give any guidance on the spec point;

'Describe the uses of capacitors for the storage of energy in applications such as flash photography, lasers used in nuclear fusion and as back up power supplies for computers'

I've made notes on this, but I have no idea how much detail is actually required on this? It's never come up before in any shape or form. It sounds as if if could be a 5 or 6 mark question?
I would edge my bets on this not coming up because they wouldn't 'waste' a long mark question for capacitors when they can ask maths questions on it, whereas it's different for medical physics were there is minimal maths. But it's still a possibility to come up.

Notes in books and online seem to give generic things like:

Capacitor discharges releasing large amount of energy in a short space of time/provides high power output/provides high current/provides high pd across discharge tube. What do they actually want?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by whyalwaysme??
Well the way I do it is first of all I try to memorise and understand the course completely, know all definitions, explanations and how to do the questions, then after that I also do Old paper questions that are related to the topic( those can be found on the Internet, or on the OCR heinemann book, also for more practise you can do the cambridge worksheet papers ( the first questions tend to be very simple but the extension and further can be quite tricky) I then do past papers and look at the mark scheme and try and improve and see where I'm good and weak. Hope it helped.

Sounds good I might try them Cambridge work sheets. Oh and do you mind sending me a link to some old g485 questions? Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest