The Student Room Group

OCR Gateway B Biology

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cookiemonster057
What did people put for the question where it asked why you had to use hot water for the sting?

I said it would denature the protein at high temperatures so the poison would not be as effective
What did people put for the question where it asked why you had to use hot water for the sting?

I suggested that the pain is caused by enzymes and that the hot water denatures the enzyme but idk if it's right
Original post by SolomonP
I said it would denature the protein at high temperatures so the poison would not be as effective

Yes! Phew I was worried that I had missed something on enzymes but then it said 'the hotter the better' :smile:
Second exam will be even more of a pain
Original post by PhoenixHellRider

Why a pain? I quite liked the format of this exam since I'm quite good at maths. I'm taking further maths this year and so this format in Biology was perfect for me haha :biggrin:
I suppose I wouldn't be happy if I wasn't as good at maths though :/

I had no idea so i put that if the poison consisted of enzymes ( a type of protein) it would denature the active site meaning the poison would be able to be harmful in the intended way

I said something along the lines that the proteins(from the stings) will become denatured at such a high temperature which will mean that the poison will not cause further damage

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by flamingllama
The blood goes down to the feet without warming them up and since the body doesn't have to keep the feet warm is conserves heat energy to the main parts of the body e.g organs and as the blood from the blood vessels returns to the hard it gets warmed up, so the body doesn't get cooled down by the cold blood.
Not sure if this is right, it seems awfully long winded for a 1 or 2 marker

Oh ok I wrote something like that too,is it correct to mention that the warm blood entering hate flippers warms up the coldly blood leaving the flippers?
Dw mine seemed very long as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile

👿⚡️🌚💉🔪🔫❌

Posted from TSR Mobile
i noticed there were a lot more socially inclined questions eg peoples objections/captivity/evolution theory accepted
Original post by Oceansandpearls
Please? :smile:

Which exam board are you doing?

OCR I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SolomonP
i noticed there were a lot more socially inclined questions eg peoples objections/captivity/evolution theory accepted

It felt a bit like RE ngl like justifying your opinions and moral arguments 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
For that one about the predator prey relationships, the fact that they only gave the high points of the cyclic fluctuation did anyone say that because more food more young survive and reproduce increasing their numbers
Im just hoping the grade boundaries are low
Original post by The Panic Queen
Oh ok I wrote something like that too,is it correct to mention that the warm blood entering hate flippers warms up the coldly blood leaving the flippers?
Dw mine seemed very long as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile

yea I think what you are saying is that the warm blood coming down to the foot warms up the blood coming back. That's correct
I don't think I explicitly said that in my long answer though whoops

Oh right, i'm doing Aqa Fm which is why I asked, because the grade boundaries for Aqa are really low! Its like 36 out of 175 to get a C!

I kinda wonder if the next exam will be more knowledge based. I know much less knowledge from B4,5 and 6. :s-smilie:
Reply 76
I think i did well on the exam, im just worried i made some stupid mistakes but i can't even remember what half the questions were on so i cant check :frown:
Reply 77
Did you say that the egg cells were clones of each other?
Original post by S..
Did you say that the egg cells were clones of each other?

I said they weren't because the egg cell is empty and the DNA is put inside from the other organism so that it can be placed into the surrogate mother probably completely wrong though be I didn't understand that question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
I said they weren't because the egg cell is empty and the DNA is put inside from the other organism so that it can be placed into the surrogate mother probably completely wrong though be I didn't understand that question

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you remember the actual wording of the question?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending