The Student Room Group

OCR (not MEI) C2 - Wednesday 20th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jmedi
It asked you to work out their integral, which was 256.

It then asked why this value is not correct for the value of the area between the x axis and the curve with the aid of a sketch. You had to say because it was because a small part of the curve was below the x axis, hence your integral value was smaller than the actual area.

Ah right. I think I get it now. For the second part I made reference to the fact that part of the curve was underneath the axis. Hopefully I'll get something for that. Annoyingly, I seem to have done everything they've asked, but in the complete wrong order.
Original post by franzorb
I think I get it now. Annoyingly, I've done virtually everything they've asked but in the wrong order, and will lose loads of marks for it.

My friend did exactly the same. It was a stupid question to be honest, they should've made you calculate the exact area and then ask why finding the integral without separating it is wrong. IMO anyway.
wasn't find a 3 marks instead of 5
Original post by Parallex
My friend did exactly the same. It was a stupid question to be honest, they should've made you calculate the exact area and then ask why finding the integral without separating it is wrong. IMO anyway.

Yep! You've worded that brilliantly, because that's exactly how I read and attempted the question :biggrin:
Original post by Weeksy97
image.jpg

Thank you so much xx
Original post by DominoMatrix227
What did you get for that question?

like 2.00 and 7. something...
For the N = 24 question, i got N = 23.9, will I get full marks?
Can someone show me how they got 24 for the arithmetic progression one? I can remind you of the question if needed.
Also if i got 61/72 would that definitely be an A? I just did the paper again and it reminded me of the answers that i put

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think OCR definitely prepped us for that paper to balance out its difficulty, for example. Question 7 part 2 was a summations which gave the answer which you had to match, do that correctly and then apply the exact same method to 7 part 3 and you'll get your nice neat answer of 24 (considering you dont make a silly error). That was definitely a given.

Secondly, the integration question indirectly tells you not to split up the integral if you read the next part before attempting the question. I was about to split up the integral but saw the second part which allowed me to realise what the markscheme was after.

Its the little things like these which allowed them to balance the difficulty a bit but it definitely was one of the hardest C2 papers ever.
Original post by ella_chloe
Can someone show me how they got 24 for the arithmetic progression one? I can remind you of the question if needed.
Also if i got 61/72 would that definitely be an A? I just did the paper again and it reminded me of the answers that i put

Posted from TSR Mobile

What was the question again sorry? And 61, im hazarding a guess would be an A most likely considering this paper was harder than last years so the grade boundaries should be a bit lower.
It might have 'allow exact value of area' in comments or something

Posted from TSR Mobile

hopefully
Original post by Shakzey
What was the question again sorry? And 61, im hazarding a guess would be an A most likely considering this paper was harder than last years so the grade boundaries should be a bit lower.

Sigma with 2N limit and n=N of un equalled 2750

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

i got 24, what was the question again?
and the values of a and d?
(edited 8 years ago)
if anyone has the question paper send me a pic of it and I'll post solutions for them when I get back

can't remember many of the questions lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm about to go out so I can't post the solution but the sum from N to 2N can be re-written as the sum of 1 to 2N subtract the sum of 1 to N-1

then you just put these values into the arithmetic sum formula and equated it to 2750 or whatever the number was
multiplied by 2 to get rid of the fraction then expanded and solved the quadratic for the positive answer
predictions on grade boundaries ??
Could someone send me a picture of the exam paper if they have it please?:smile:
Original post by Indian_lilly
predictions on grade boundaries ??

I'm going to say around 53/54 for an A as it was a tough but doable paper

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by andygeor
i got 24, what was the question again?
and the values of a and d?

I wrote the question above you quoted me, a was 5 dwas 3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Parallex
if anyone has the question paper send me a pic of it and I'll post solutions for them when I get back

can't remember many of the questions lol

Someone posted it on here a few pages back i saved them

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply