The Student Room Group

AQA Sociology Unit 2 Education and Research Methods Forum

Scroll to see replies

Someone please help! The exam is tomorrow and haven't revised research methods much yet..

Any predictions on what is likely to come up in that section so I can focus on certain aspects rather than panic over all of it?
Does anyone have a link to all the key words we have to learn for the AQA Socio unit 2 education and research methods exam!!!
Do we need to know how policies have affected gender/class/ethnicity?!
Original post by SamHewetson
Someone please help! The exam is tomorrow and haven't revised research methods much yet..

Any predictions on what is likely to come up in that section so I can focus on certain aspects rather than panic over all of it?

Nt sure about whats going to come up, but why not make a mini poster for each reseach method and have either a positive or a negative for the following:
"Pervert":
Practical issues (cost,time etc)
Ethichs (protection from harm, covert)
Reliability (questionairres high, unstructured interviews low)
Validity
Experimenter bias (e.g. in observation, researcher may judge or assume things)
Theoretical (positivists like questionairres and quantitative etc.)

If you do a paragraph for each in the exam, shouldbeokay
Hope this helps
Original post by Unsure_Student
Do we need to know how policies have affected gender/class/ethnicity?!

I THINK SO!! everyone is saying that Educational policy and inequality might come up
Original post by tyler2709
nt sure about whats going to come up, but why not make a mini poster for each reseach method and have either a positive or a negative for the following:
"pervert":
Practical issues (cost,time etc)
ethichs (protection from harm, covert)
reliability (questionairres high, unstructured interviews low)
validity
experimenter bias (e.g. In observation, researcher may judge or assume things)
theoretical (positivists like questionairres and quantitative etc.)

if you do a paragraph for each in the exam, shouldbeokay
hope this helps

do you have a link to all the keywords we need to know for the education section????
Original post by Mohammod123
do you have a link to all the keywords we need to know for the education section????

No sorry!😴
For education essay what do you write for the conclusion? Is it like a summary?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by oreoprincess

Posted from TSR Mobile
I THINK SO!! everyone is saying that Educational policy and inequality might come up

Oh dear I know nothing on that! Like I understand the educational policies, but I'm not sure I could apply them to gender and ethnicity...!:redface:
Original post by oreoprincess

Posted from TSR Mobile

Literally just do one or two sentences "overall, some sociologists such as the Functionalists believe education leads to social solidarity and meritocracy, whereas other sociologists like the Marxists believe meritocracy is a myth"
- just an example, hope this helps!
I don't get policies!! I know the government polices but what would the question be like ? 😩
So, what are the predictions so far for the whole unit 2 paper?
anybody know predictions of what might come up?
Reply 494
I really need to know predictions for education and research methods! Barely know anything and I'm not entirely sure what to concentrate on so please help!
Original post by ciaralouise97
anybody know predictions of what might come up?

my teacher said ranking in order for education:
1 education policy2 Marxism3 social class and attainment4 labelling/internal factors5 ethnicity
for methods:
1 questionnaires2 structured interviews3 practical challenges4 personal documents5 experiments
methods in context:
observations, structured interviews, official statistics and experiments.
Original post by Unsure_Student
Oh dear I know nothing on that! Like I understand the educational policies, but I'm not sure I could apply them to gender and ethnicity...!:redface:

Policies relating to Gender:
- Under the tripartite system, girls often had to achieve a higher mark than boys in the 11+ in order to obtain a grammar school place.
- Since the 1970s, policies such as Girls into Science & Technology have been introduced to reduce gender differences in subject choice.

Policies relating to Ethnicity:
- Assimilation policies (1960s & 70s) focused on the need for pupils from minority ethnic groups to assimilate into mainstream British culture as a way of raising their achievement, helping those that didn't speak English as their first language.
- Multicultural education (MCE) policies (80s-90s) aimed to promote the achievements of children from minority ethnic groups by valuing all cultures in the school curriculum, thereby raising minority pupils' self-esteem and achievements.

Hope this helps!
- Under the tripartite system, girls often had to achieve a higher mark than boys in the 11+ in order to obtain a grammar school place.
- Since the 1970s, policies such as Girls into Science & Technology have been introduced to reduce gender differences in subject choice.

- Assimilation policies (1960s & 70s) focused on the need for pupils from minority ethnic groups to assimilate into mainstream British culture as a way of raising their achievement, helping those that didn't speak English as their first language.
- Multicultural education (MCE) policies (80s-90s) aimed to promote the achievements of children from minority ethnic groups by valuing all cultures in the school curriculum, thereby raising minority pupils' self-esteem and achievements.

Hope this helps!

Thank you so so so much!!!!
Reply 498

Hope this helps!

Thank you, do you know any specific MCE policies?
Original post by Tyler2709
Literally just do one or two sentences "overall, some sociologists such as the Functionalists believe education leads to social solidarity and meritocracy, whereas other sociologists like the Marxists believe meritocracy is a myth"
- just an example, hope this helps!

Thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending