The Student Room Group

IGCSE English Literature Help

Guys I have my exam on 18th-paper 1. Do you have any tips for me, especially on stories of ourselves and songs of ourselves. It is really hard to write a three sided essay(especially for the short stories) so if you have any advise, please share it here. Thank you in advance
I'm doing songs of ourselves for poetry and I'm in the same situation, I can barely write 2 sides in 45 mins but I would say that it's important to remember that the examiner won't actually penalise you for writing less but you should aim to write at least two sides in order to cover all of the topics. However I wouldn't worry just stay calm going into the exam and do your best, it's quality not quantity!
Reply 2
Original post by igcsegirl
I'm doing songs of ourselves for poetry and I'm in the same situation, I can barely write 2 sides in 45 mins but I would say that it's important to remember that the examiner won't actually penalise you for writing less but you should aim to write at least two sides in order to cover all of the topics. However I wouldn't worry just stay calm going into the exam and do your best, it's quality not quantity!

Are you doing passage based or critical for the story?
Original post by XxChampXx
Are you doing passage based or critical for the story?

Definitely passage based I just think that it's harder to go wrong with a passage based and it is also quite open to your own interpretation of it. Sometimes the passage isn't great but I think that the chances are better.
Reply 4
Original post by igcsegirl
Definitely passage based I just think that it's harder to go wrong with a passage based and it is also quite open to your own interpretation of it. Sometimes the passage isn't great but I think that the chances are better.

True
I think the essay question is favourable if you have a good set of quotes.
How are you guys preparing, i've read the analysis for all the songs of ourselves poems and the analysis for the prose i'm doing (i'm not doing stories of ourselves) but i don't feel like i've done enough
I'm learning quotes for prose and maybe memorise quotes for poetry because there is only 1 poem/ extract and the rest are essay questions
How did everyone find it? I thought it went okay for me - I had Hardy for poetry and I'm the King of the Castle for prose. I have An Inspector Calls on Friday.
The poetry from the Songs of ourselves was kinda hard. I think that they chose the worst poems they could have...The woodspurge and The city planners...Why? Why couldn't they choose Pike, Hunting Snake, The Planners or at least A different History? Regarding Silas Marner questions, I found the extract based question okay, but I think I did better on the poetry.. :smile:
Original post by Madla Spadla
The poetry from the Songs of ourselves was kinda hard. I think that they chose the worst poems they could have...The woodspurge and The city planners...Why? Why couldn't they choose Pike, Hunting Snake, The Planners or at least A different History? Regarding Silas Marner questions, I found the extract based question okay, but I think I did better on the poetry.. :smile:

I know haha they literally chose the worst poems possible, think it went okay but ugh could've been so much better with different poems
Is anyone doing The Tempest on Friday?
Reply 12
Original post by cLizzied
Is anyone doing The Tempest on Friday?

Yeah me The Tempest and The Importance of Being Earnest
Hiya guys,

Just wondering, what are the average grade boundaries?

Thanks
which part of the tempest do you think is most likely to be on! I have my exam tomorrow :frown:
I think it will be a question on a character for the essay. maybe miranda or caliban. I think it was prosperous last year.
Did anyone do the 2 literature exams on monday? I did song of ourselves and dr jekyll and mr hyde then i had the unseen paper. In 3hrs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending