The Student Room Group

Edexcel C2 20th May 2015 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by particlestudent
That looks so small:biggrin:

haha well im not sure but seeing as though you've done well so far you won't need as high marks in S1 :smile: Im assuming
Original post by samb1234
I think to be honest the key message is learn the content, not how to pass an exam. As long as you understand why you are doing stuff, there is nothing wrong with doing past papers to practice (I just used past papers), the problem comes when you don't really understand what is going on and are just going "oh its the circle question they want me to do that" as then if they ask you a strange question you don't really understand how to go about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah definitely, understanding always triumphs over application since application is a bit of a pre-requisite for Maths anyway. :tongue:
Original post by PjsAndCoffee
haha well im not sure but seeing as though you've done well so far you won't need as high marks in S1 :smile: Im assuming

Well? Well!? My C2 is stronger than my bloody C1 and look what I got :biggrin:.
68/75 in C1 and 43/75 in C2 what would I need on s1 to get a B
Original post by elaine francklin
My son who got A* in maths gcse and is very good at maths has found the exam today really difficult. It was a resit and he is now in pieces thinking he may not get the grade to get into his uni course. Why are they so incredibly hard. I am very angry, seeing my son crying and so down, I think it has gone to far.

I'm sorry to hear this however I'm afraid that is the nature of these exams. Maybe he needs to work on his revision techniques as Edexcel had every right to ask them questions on today's paper. I think students need to realise that it's just not about completing all the past papers and calling that 'revision' as it will only get you a B if you're lucky. The latest papers (2014 and 2015 (today)) are starting to test applied knowledge and this is throwing too many students, simply because they are not preparing for this exam in the correct manner.
Original post by Sparkzzite
For 8)i) If you divided sin by cos you lost 3 extra solutions, which wasn't shown in the unofficial mark scheme.

You can divide as long as cos=0 is not one of the solutions. From the equation sin (3xtheta) = sqrt(3) x cos (3xtheta) is obvious that cos (3xtheta) = 0 is NOT a solution (otherwise cos and sin at the same time would have to be zero...but they are not). In this case you can divide both sides by cos (3xtheta) and you won't lose any solutions.
For everyone worrying about their applied module, just aim to do the best you can and put in as much work as you can (while juggling other exams of course), Solomon papers should give you a fair challenge, but don't worry if you can't answer them all.

Why 180 minimum?
Well? Well!? My C2 is stronger than my bloody C1 and look what I got :biggrin:.

Hated both. Maths is stressing me out
My son who got A* in maths gcse and is very good at maths has found the exam today really difficult. It was a resit and he is now in pieces thinking he may not get the grade to get into his uni course. Why are they so incredibly hard. I am very angry, seeing my son crying and so down, I think it has gone to far.

Completely agree.
samb1234 & joshjones453:

I agree 100%
Hated both. Maths is stressing me out

To be honest, they were both kind of tricky. I think in C1 you just need to know what what you're writing means. It took me a while to understand how to tackle that arithmetic sequence question with the weird subscript.
But C2 was hell. I think in general they are getting harder
To be honest, they were both kind of tricky. I think in C1 you just need to know what what you're writing means. It took me a while to understand how to tackle that arithmetic sequence question with the weird subscript.
But C2 was hell. I think in general they are getting harder

When I first scanned through the paper I was like "YES this is a good paper!"... Then I attempted it and struggled.
I hated that cylinder question..
Original post by thuglife123
68/75 in C1 and 43/75 in C2 what would I need on s1 to get a B

52+ would do according to last year's.
u need a total of about 158 to get a B overall. (70% of 225)
you have around 111 so far
You need about 47 :smile:

That's not how It works. For instance 80% is 60 marks but isn't always 80 UMS. Usually higher. 158 would not guarantee you a B.
For 8i, i replaced sin3theta with cos3theta*tan3theta, and then factorised with the other term. I therefore got 6 solutions, 3 f which are correct. How many marks?
Original post by Jam3898
That's not how It works. For instance 80% is 60 marks but isn't always 80 UMS. Usually higher. 158 would not guarantee you a B.

ah I see. Sorry about that:colondollar:
How many marks will i lose /4 for getting one intergral wrong for the intergration question part a.

And another point, getting A* at Maths GCSE is irrelevant, at this stage. At GCSE, there is no application of knowledge, you can honestly learn the whole syllabus the night before for every exam and come out with 5/6 A*s. So please do not bring GCSE into this. I think your son has failed to recognise the transition from GCSE to ALevel.
ah I see. Sorry about that:colondollar:

Could be higher or lower than 158. This year has to be lower!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending