The Student Room Group

AQA Physics GCSE P2 & P3 [OFFICIAL THREAD]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jjohnson919
Think I put 7.2?

Yeah that's what most people got, I put 0.6 but I'm 99% I got that one wrong so I'm pretty jealous of your likely success right now
Anyone remember the answer to hydraulics q?
Original post by amymcavoy22
The gravitational potential energy gained=kinetic energy lost so the GPE and Ek where just the same. To find the change in height you just had to rearrange the equation using the number you got for GPE

Wow I wasn't taught that. Thanks anyway. How did people get 3.6 and 7.2?
Original post by Jjohnson919
Anyone remember the answer to hydraulics q?

84000 newtons
Original post by Pra99
84000 newtons

Love that❤️
So guys you know for P3, the maximum energy, I got 7.2J because I done 0.05(mass)*12 squared(velocity) and for the distance it travelled I got 28.8 or something like that what did you guys get?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Pra99

My memory might be wrong but I think the velocity was 12m/s and the mass was 0.6kg so they will have done 12 x 0.6 x 0.5 = 3.6
However it should be velocity squared so I really don't know considering I somehow got 0.3
My memory might be wrong but I think the velocity was 12m/s and the mass was 0.6kg so they will have done 12 x 0.6 x 0.5 = 3.6
However it should be velocity squared so I really don't know considering I somehow got 0.3

Thanks! Shouldn't there be a x10 somewhere because the grav field strength is 10
Reply 1608
Original post by Not_a_horse
So guys you know for P3, the maximum energy, I got 7.2J because I done 0.05(distance)*12 squared(velocity) and for the distance it travelled I got 28.8 or something like that what did you guys get?

It should be 3.6J because the equation is Ek = 1/2 * mass * speed^2

I don't remember the distance q, what was it?
on P2 can anyone explain the graph for the rocket?
People are saying either B or C but I just can't understand why it isn't A.
The question said choose the graph that shows how velocity changes as the rocket falls until just after it hits the ground. surely when it hits the ground velocity would have to be 0, because it's no longer moving, and graph A was the only one that finished at the x axis - 0 ????
Im still sittin here, waitin for dat mark scheme. how long guyysssss
Original post by Not_a_horse
So guys you know for P3, the maximum energy, I got 7.2J because I done 0.05(mass)*12 squared(velocity) and for the distance it travelled I got 28.8 or something like that what did you guys get?

7.2J it was 0.28 x 300000

I think the mass was 0.05 and the speed was 12.
Original post by morrissies
The question said choose the graph that shows how velocity changes as the rocket falls until just after it hits the ground. surely when it hits the ground velocity would have to be 0, because it's no longer moving, and graph A was the only one that finished at the x axis - 0 ????

I put A. How on earth would it be C if it is losing time?

I put B, because it accelerated then levelled off, so i thought that showed terminal velocity... idk for sure though

I honestly thought A was right but I don't know 😕

The roots of education are bitter, however the fruit is sweet.
Original post by Pra99
Thanks! Shouldn't there be a x10 somewhere because the grav field strength is 10

Yeah somewhere but I have no idea how I got from 0.3 to 0.6 or how anyone got from 3.6 to 7.2, I've completely forgotten sorry :/
Original post by AvKar
It should be 3.6J because the equation is Ek = 1/2 * mass * speed^2

I don't remember the distance q, what was it?

Damn it!! i forgot to half it
Original post by Smile Generator
I put B, because it accelerated then levelled off, so i thought that showed terminal velocity... idk for sure though

Would have to reach 0 though
Original post by Pra99

kinetic energy= 1/2 x mass x velocity squared
So its 1/2 x 0.05 x 12^2= 3.6 J

Ek= Ep

Ep= mass x gravitational field strength x height
3.6= 0.05 x 10 x height
u needed to find the height so

Height= 3.6/(0.05x10)
= 7.2m

Hope that makes sense :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending