The Student Room Group

AS Exams this year :(

Am I the only one who thinks the AS exams this year are harder than previous years?
I hear that exam boards are throwing everythin they got at us cuz it's the final yr of the spec
D:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I feel like they haven't been too bad, for maths (edexcel) C1 was fine I think but C2 was horrendous, for economics (AQA) they seemed ok to me - hard to tell due to the way essays are marked. Haven't done any others yet but so far they are ok apart from that C2 paper
Original post by ozzie2
I feel like they haven't been too bad, for maths (edexcel) C1 was fine I think but C2 was horrendous, for economics (AQA) they seemed ok to me - hard to tell due to the way essays are marked. Haven't done any others yet but so far they are ok apart from that C2 paper

Ive done both geography papers (edexcel) and they were alright.
But maths....
I think the exam boards are doing the opposite and being really nice

for some subjects though, they really are ending the spec with a bang :K:
Totally agree. Found the Edexcel Maths papers OK but definitely harder than the other years. Also had a Unit 1 Physics AQA exam but that was... awful.
Original post by neonskies05
Totally agree. Found the Edexcel Maths papers OK but definitely harder than the other years. Also had a Unit 1 Physics AQA exam but that was... awful.

I heard that physics was nasty this yr. Our college do OCR A
Original post by thecatwithnohat

It's not fair :frown: this bang is huge.
I feel like my AQA Psychology and Edexcel History papers have been fine but Maths.... no words lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hm, not really.
AQA has been generous for the humanities based subjects in my opinion. Psychology and English literature was fricking amazing! I was dancing in the exam hall but I messed my chances of getting As due to being irresponsible with my time-keeping and lack of preparation.
Maths and Physics...-_-
We'll see for Chemistry but due to how hard Physics and apparently Biology was this year with OCR, I'm worried it will be so unexpected too for Chemistry. I'll probably leave that exam room kicking chairs and spiting OCR for ruining my life loool
Original post by Cherry82
Hm, not really.
AQA has been generous for the humanities based subjects in my opinion. Psychology and English literature was fricking amazing! I was dancing in the exam hall but I messed my chances of getting As due to being irresponsible with my time-keeping and lack of preparation.
Maths and Physics...-_-
We'll see for Chemistry but due to how hard Physics and apparently Biology was this year with OCR, I'm worried it will be so unexpected too for Chemistry. I'll probably leave that exam room kicking chairs and spiting OCR for ruining my life loool

I hear physics was solid.
I did biology today. Personally thought it was a good paper! :smile: Asked others how they found it and got mixed responses tbh.
Original post by Ben4
I feel like my AQA Psychology and Edexcel History papers have been fine but Maths.... no words lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Glad you found the others fine :smile: I regret doing maths.

I agree, the economics unit 2 paper was horrible
Original post by Mysterious4
I agree, the economics unit 2 paper was horrible

Oh no :frown: was it just the phrasing of the questions or the content that threw you off?

My teacher sent this message to us half an hour after our Sociology exam this morning:

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry that the Education and Research Methods exam was harder than usual.Just try to focus on the fact that it was hard for every student in the country sitting it today, which will affect the grade boundaries. And if the worst comes to the worst, you can re-sit the exam next summer.

And now please forget about sociology until after study leave and focus on your next exam.

I didn't find the exam all too bad because I revised the small topics constantly and bombarded with him with past paper answers just before we went on study leave.
https://twitter.com/AlevelExaminer

Follow me for comments

Cheers guys
Oh no :frown: was it just the phrasing of the questions or the content that threw you off?

My teacher sent this message to us half an hour after our Sociology exam this morning:

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry that the Education and Research Methods exam was harder than usual.Just try to focus on the fact that it was hard for every student in the country sitting it today, which will affect the grade boundaries. And if the worst comes to the worst, you can re-sit the exam next summer.

And now please forget about sociology until after study leave and focus on your next exam.

I didn't find the exam all too bad because I revised the small topics constantly and bombarded with him with past paper answers just before we went on study leave.

It was both content and phrasing which threw me! :colonhash:

Wow, my teachers would never send anything like that, thy would just let us worry! :smile:
https://twitter.com/AlevelExaminer Follow me for comments Cheers guys
Reply 16
Original post by neonskies05

I disagree, I'm afraid to say. Though I have only seen the C1 paper, it appeared to be no harder than previous years and I was able to get 100% in a time of 14:55, far faster than I have ever managed on past papers.
Original post by Mysterious4
It was both content and phrasing which threw me! :colonhash:

Wow, my teachers would never send anything like that, thy would just let us worry! :smile:

Oh no! :erm: I've heard that many people found it difficult, especially the first paper. Hopefully that'll make the grade boundaries more lenient this year. Damn exam boards :mob:

Haha, that is so mean! There were plenty of girls crying after the exam, so I guess he just wanted to reassure us that it was not the end :h:
Original post by PjsAndCoffee
I heard that physics was nasty this yr. Our college do OCR A

Can confirm that exam was a nightmare

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't do the subject but friends tell me the second Geography paper was awful.

Quick Reply

Latest