The Student Room Group

Boyfriend's Mother is a snake fanatic!! HELP!!!

Ok... *deep breath*

So I've got a really great boyfriend who I've been with for the last three months.

He's got us tickets to a comedy show in his hometown where he intends to introduce me to his dear mother. All fine.

EXCEPT his mother is a really serious snake breeder/enthusiast!! And I will be required to spend the night at her snake-riddled house!

AND most (20+) of the snakes are kept in the room I will be sleeping in (boyfriends old bedroom)!!!!

I CANNOT SLEEP IN A ROOM FULL OF SNAKES!!! :eek:

I don't know what to do. It would be rude to not go especially since he's splashed out on the tickets.

I also don't want he and his mother to think I'm a neurotic twerp (which I am)...

But really, as if meeting the dragon for the first time wasn't scary enough to start with? :wink:

Please help. And be thankful you aren't me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

As long as you look after his snake, I'm sure your boyfriend will protect you.
Reply 2
Wear a snake onsie and they will accept you as one of their own. thats what snakes like. or buy yourself a cage and sleep in that because the snakes won't be able to get to you
Reply 3
Original post by tengentoppa
As long as you look after his snake, I'm sure your boyfriend will protect you.

*laughs nervously*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I believe breeding venemous snakes are illegal. So firstly be assured that they won't posion you. Secondly if they are fed they are not going to want to eat you :smile: So even if they somehow escape their enclousers during the night and slither slowly towards you (hehe) they most probably will be too full to eat you. Plus there are only a few snakes such as pythons that have the capacity to eat humans and I dobt she breeds them. And come on dragons or I'm assuming bearded dragons are cute ;D
Original post by TheTruthTeller
Hi, I believe breeding venemous snakes are illegal. So firstly be assured that they won't posion you. Secondly if they are fed they are not going to want to eat you :smile: So even if they somehow escape their enclousers during the night and slither slowly towards you (hehe) they most probably will be too full to eat you. Plus there are only a few snakes such as pythons that have the capacity to eat humans and I dobt she breeds them. And come on dragons or I'm assuming bearded dragons are cute ;D

There's a difference between venemous and poisonous, so they won't poison her regardless :h:
/nitpicking

OP: snakes will likely be kept in vivariums, therefore won't be able to get out.
Reply 6
Original post by TheTruthTeller

The "dragon" being her... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Yes yes I know none of them will hurt me. I've already interrogated him about it and apparently they're all small/medium constrictors.

I'm just convinced I'll wake up in the night with one slithering about under the sheets **insert smutty penis joke here**...

Oh I'm sure this would be some weird fetishy persons ultimate fantasy! Me however - it'll be a miracle if I even get to sleep. Getting it on will be the last thing on my mind :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Drunk Punx
There's a difference between venemous and poisonous, so they won't poison her regardless :h:
/nitpicking

OP: snakes will likely be kept in vivariums, therefore won't be able to get out.

I literally was just going to edit my post knowing I made that stupid mistake ;P

Yeah, I love repitles :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by Mriffin
Wear a snake onsie and they will accept you as one of their own. thats what snakes like. or buy yourself a cage and sleep in that because the snakes won't be able to get to you

Oh my god actually wearing a onesie is such a good idea...! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
lol i feel so bad for you personally i would tell your boyfriend to sleep in the same room with you so if the the snakes escape which i don't think they will , you will at least have some comfort with your boyfriend around.
/nitpicking

As long as we're being pedantic, it's "venOmous", not "venEmous".
Not going to lie - I wouldn't sleep in a room with a cat in it, nevermind numerous snakes. Oh also, crickets. I hate crickets.
Reply 12
Original post by habibasaid
lol i feel so bad for you personally i would tell your boyfriend to sleep in the same room with you so if the the snakes escape which i don't think they will , you will at least have some comfort with your boyfriend around.

I know!!! What am I going to do?? I feel so rude if I make a fuss hahahaha!!

I believe we are going to be allowed to share his room so at least that's something... :cool:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
As long as we're being pedantic, it's "venOmous", not "venEmous".

So that's why the red squiggly line appeared underneath it! :ahee:
Repped for knowledge imparted.

Strange how I trusted it on venomous, but not vivariums. Apparently the singular is fine, but the plural? Wrong wrong wrong >.<
Reply 14
Actually, to any of you that have snakes - what are they like in the night?

Assuming that they do stay put in their vivs (unbelievable), do they move/make creepy noises?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by TorpidPhil
Not going to lie - I wouldn't sleep in a room with a cat in it, nevermind numerous snakes. Oh also, crickets. I hate crickets.

I'd be grateful for a cat :yep:

I'm now just tryingto decide whether snakes are worse than spiders... Hypothetically. It's not a choice...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by furbybrain
I'd be grateful for a cat :yep:

I'm now just tryingto decide whether snakes are worse than spiders... Hypothetically. It's not a choice...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh God no. I'de rather have a snake around my neck than be locked in a room with a spider. Spiders are the worst. They make me paralysed and faint and no. No spiders :shock:
Just tell your boyfriend and his mother. Snakes can kill humans so the fear isn't irrational and so they most likely will understand.
Original post by furbybrain

Assuming that they do stay put in their vivs (unbelievable), do they move/make creepy noises?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd say you're unlikely to hear them, if so it'll just be the occasional light thud, but honestly I don';t think you'll hear much and probably no sound, constrictors aren't going to be racing around their enclosures haha. I imagine if she's breeding them in numbers they'll be RUBs so the enclosure will have very little height (so no thud of snake getting to top corner then body sliding down, even then unlikely to make a noise) and probably lined with newspaper so no bark chippings moving around.

If you are somewhat afraid of sleeping in the room could you suggest, as I assume the point is you sharing a bed isn't going to happen at this stage, that you sleep in his bed and he takes this room, I wouldn't find that rude if I were them.

But it should be fine, they won't escape. Take heart that my girlfriend has to sleep in a room with 10 tarantulas and two large storage tubs filled with thousands of cockroaches, oh and the cockroaches do make noise, especially if I feed them that evening, endless rustling of thousands of pairs of legs scrambling over each other. She says it's fine and sleeps no probs, personally I wear earplugs if I'm feeding them that night (though that's part habit as she talked me into getting a pygmy hedgehog and that thing was very noise on its wheel, so I'm used to the silence of earplugs).
(edited 8 years ago)
So that's why the red squiggly line appeared underneath it! :ahee:
Repped for knowledge imparted.

Strange how I trusted it on venomous, but not vivariums. Apparently the singular is fine, but the plural? Wrong wrong wrong >.<

It's from the Latin. Vivaria is the plural of vivarium in the same way that bacteria is the plural of bacterium.

Pleased to have been of help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending