The Student Room Group

Edexcel IGCSE Physics Exam 20th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chazer154
And did you get 10 or 17 for the velocity time graph on the bus?

It's 10
I put:

- the toaster could burn the skin and if a conductor (eg knife) was put into the toaster to try and get the bread out, it could give you an electrical shock as it would touch the resistors carrying the voltage therefore is dangerous.

- if the shielding broke in the microwave, it could send the microwaves out and heat human body tissue, causing danger.

- water could get from the tap or the dishwasher into the plug, causing an electric shock.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I came from That angle saying a kettle could burn you'd ur to electrical supply heating up water supply. iron turns electrical energy into heat which can burn you and that. Toaster can cause a fire or electric shock if you touch inside of it with a knife etc.
Original post by Phutile
Sounds good, I originally wrote that the water supply could mix with the electrical supply, but I thought that was too far fetched. In my opinion, these questions were far, far too obscure, and there are at least 25+ answers to it. Only one issue with your answers, and this isn't even wrong, just the phrase "causing danger". It's technically correct, as danger means "the possibility of bodily harm or injury", it just sounds a little off. Overall though, that's good.

Exactly the same as me
The hardrive a is to do with energy output apparently, less heat is lost in the black as it is absorbed rather than reflected meaning that less energy is required for them to work. Less energy results in less heat energy or something along those lines. Black on top means that the whites hear is absorbed by the black and not given off whilst if white is on top then the ehites hear radiates into the atmosphere. Mark scheme should look like:
Mp1 : black absorbing white reflecting
Mp2: contact with floor, more exposed
Mp3: explanation why
Mp4 : less absorbed, more absorbed etc.
Mp5: reference to radiation
Anybody have any other points?
Oh and did anybody use an oscilloscope with two microphones for the speed of sound as most people used a clap and starting when seeing stopping wen hearing
Reply 85
Original post by Ewarwoowa
The hardrive a is to do with energy output apparently, less heat is lost in the black as it is absorbed rather than reflected meaning that less energy is required for them to work. Less energy results in less heat energy or something along those lines. Black on top means that the whites hear is absorbed by the black and not given off whilst if white is on top then the ehites hear radiates into the atmosphere. Mark scheme should look like:
Mp1 : black absorbing white reflecting
Mp2: contact with floor, more exposed
Mp3: explanation why
Mp4 : less absorbed, more absorbed etc.
Mp5: reference to radiation
Anybody have any other points?

I think I got full marks if you read my above answer then...
Reply 86
Oh and did anybody use an oscilloscope with two microphones for the speed of sound as most people used a clap and starting when seeing stopping wen hearing

I thought you could only use the stopwatch.
it was fine , i am actually confused , i dont know it was good or not , but i can say it was definitely better than expected
the last ques was really weird and the hard drives one also was confusing
overall it went pretty good
i still hope grade boundaries are low xD
Original post by Phutile
I thought you could only use the stopwatch.

You can use a stopwatch to time howblong it takes for the second line to appear
Reply 89
So I've paranoia to the next level and emailed my physics teacher about the kitchen question.. answers soon I hope.
Reply 90
You can use a stopwatch to time howblong it takes for the second line to appear

For my experiment I made the student clap 20 times, once per second. Then the other student on the other side of the track took the time inbetween the first and last claps, then divided by 20, took away 1 (the time for the first clap) to get how long it took to travel 100m. Then I divided by 100 to get the answer to m/s. I also clarified that this is a huge estimation as you assume the student has no reaction time and timed his claps perfectly.
I put:

- the toaster could burn the skin and if a conductor (eg knife) was put into the toaster to try and get the bread out, it could give you an electrical shock as it would touch the resistors carrying the voltage therefore is dangerous.

- if the shielding broke in the microwave, it could send the microwaves out and heat human body tissue, causing danger.

- water could get from the tap or the dishwasher into the plug, causing an electric shock.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The question was about electrical dangers so the microwaves one wouldn't be correct.
Original post by Phutile
Sounds good, I originally wrote that the water supply could mix with the electrical supply, but I thought that was too far fetched. In my opinion, these questions were far, far too obscure, and there are at least 25+ answers to it. Only one issue with your answers, and this isn't even wrong, just the phrase "causing danger". It's technically correct, as danger means "the possibility of bodily harm or injury", it just sounds a little off. Overall though, that's good.

Haha, well, I didn't put these EXACT words so maybe they could be different!?
what did everyone put for the last question?
Original post by abcjadmjksadk
The question was about electrical dangers so the microwaves one wouldn't be correct.

haha probably i was a bit stuck for answers !
Reply 95
It's 10

10 is the answer of what in the velocity time graph?
Reply 96
What did people get for the refractive index, orbital speed and the last question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FKM1997
10 is the answer of what in the velocity time graph?

How long it was still
Original post by aahmad
What did people get for the refractive index, orbital speed and the last question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

1.5 and 9.7 for refractive index and orbital speed to 2dp
did you guys divide by 50 or 60 for the velocity-time graph's speed question??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending