The Student Room Group

Economics Unit 2 Edexcel - Managing the UK economy Tuesday 19th May 2015 (PM)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ElizaLea
I'm glad that I have helped :smile: How did you find the whole exam?

I am quite satisfied with it, providing the fact that I revised for it only 1 week before the exam. Though both questions were good but Q1 seemed pretty good for me in general. Hoping that i can reach an A if I didn't make any stupid mistakes :smile:

How about you?
If grade boundries are 60 marks for an A I would be blessed
Original post by prepdream
I am quite satisfied with it, providing the fact that I revised for it only 1 week before the exam. Though both questions were good but Q1 seemed pretty good for me in general. Hoping that i can reach an A if I didn't make any stupid mistakes :smile:

How about you?

Sounds like it went pretty well for you :smile: I didn't do as well as I feel like I could have, I think I almost overthought some questions. I'm still hoping for an A though, the 30 mark question may have been good enough to get me there (hope so!)
Original post by ElizaLea
Sounds like it went pretty well for you :smile: I didn't do as well as I feel like I could have, I think I almost overthought some questions. I'm still hoping for an A though, the 30 mark question may have been good enough to get me there (hope so!)

Which one did you do? Yeah that was always the case for me, overthinking stuffs instead of seeing it in simple ways. But hope you will be fine and get an A. Good luck! :biggrin:
Which one did you do? Yeah that was always the case for me, overthinking stuffs instead of seeing it in simple ways. But hope you will be fine and get an A. Good luck! :biggrin:

Question 1. Thank you, I hope so too! Good luck to you too! :smile:
Someone help. I kind of ran out of time for the 30 marker. did definition of demand policy (fiscal, monetary), listed the macro objectives then went on to explain how for example using fiscal to reduce tax will increase economic growth, did a shift right in AD, explained how this will cause inflation etc.
said how monetary decreasing interest rates will affect exchange rates and imports increase exports decrease, damaging the BoP deficit. Briefly talked about lower unemployment often associated with high economic growth (added a Phillips curve) and how the government need to weigh up the magnitude of this trade-off and assess whether it will be worth their while. Also briefly evaluated the time-lag of decreasing interest rates to take affect and how by then other factors could off-set this potential disadvantage so not a big concern.

Anyway, wanted to know very VAGUELY if my answer was strong and how many marks I would roughly receive? Very worried as I went overboard on the first 8 marker and 12 marker and didn't really consider time. Completed the last question in 15 mins! :frown:
guys uno for the urm like what other things would the mpc have looked at when keeping interest rates low, what did u guys write?

I wrote unemployment figures and inflation- not too sure about inflation though...
Original post by EnigmaticUtopia
Someone help. I kind of ran out of time for the 30 marker. did definition of demand policy (fiscal, monetary), listed the macro objectives then went on to explain how for example using fiscal to reduce tax will increase economic growth, did a shift right in AD, explained how this will cause inflation etc.
said how monetary decreasing interest rates will affect exchange rates and imports increase exports decrease, damaging the BoP deficit. Briefly talked about lower unemployment often associated with high economic growth (added a Phillips curve) and how the government need to weigh up the magnitude of this trade-off and assess whether it will be worth their while. Also briefly evaluated the time-lag of decreasing interest rates to take affect and how by then other factors could off-set this potential disadvantage so not a big concern.

Anyway, wanted to know very VAGUELY if my answer was strong and how many marks I would roughly receive? Very worried as I went overboard on the first 8 marker and 12 marker and didn't really consider time. Completed the last question in 15 mins! :frown:

Didn't read all but wait, doesn't a decrease in rate of interest will lead to depreciation in exchange rate and more export less import instead?
Original post by EnigmaticUtopia

Pffft! calm down lol- i did 4 pages for the 8 marker loool... talk about overboard but yeah I would say as its 18 points for analysis and 12 for ev. I would say you have pretty good analysis: you defined both types of demand policy- 2 marks, you listed the objectives, you did the diagram- 4 marks providing it was correct, you included atleast 2 macro objs and linked 4 marks and then you said how they'd conflict- 6 marks. Evaluation: SR/LR argument- 4 marks and I cant remember if you did another evaluation but pfffft come on, you got ATLEAST 20 marks!! and thats only what I counted because I couldnt be bothered reading the rest lol but yeah hopefully around 25 :smile: honestly!! dont worry!!! :smile:
Didn't read all but wait, doesn't a decrease in rate of interest will lead to depreciation in exchange rate and more export less import instead?

Think Ceterus Parabus- what if there wasn't any demand on the world market for those exports?
An easier point would be higher relative inflation than other countries leading to a fall in exports, easier to explain than exchange rates
Original post by lauradaura
Think Ceterus Parabus- what if there wasn't any demand on the world market for those exports?

It would be evaluation then-Price elasticity of demand?
(edited 8 years ago)
Would it be acceptable to state the policy and its effects (eg expansionary monetary policy leads to economic growth/inflation) and then use this policy for all 3 points (plus a short detour into fiscal policy)?
Original post by lauradaura
Pffft! calm down lol- i did 4 pages for the 8 marker loool... talk about overboard but yeah I would say as its 18 points for analysis and 12 for ev. I would say you have pretty good analysis: you defined both types of demand policy- 2 marks, you listed the objectives, you did the diagram- 4 marks providing it was correct, you included atleast 2 macro objs and linked 4 marks and then you said how they'd conflict- 6 marks. Evaluation: SR/LR argument- 4 marks and I cant remember if you did another evaluation but pfffft come on, you got ATLEAST 20 marks!! and thats only what I counted because I couldnt be bothered reading the rest lol but yeah hopefully around 25 :smile: honestly!! dont worry!!! :smile:

Thank you so much! I feel sort of relieved now haha. I was very worried as I'm retaking and this is my last shot at A-levels! Question 1 was very easy in my opinion and it being easy made me over confident for section A, not considering time lol. How did you do? Hope u did well
Original post by jeevanr21
Would it be acceptable to state the policy and its effects (eg expansionary monetary policy leads to economic growth/inflation) and then use this policy for all 3 points (plus a short detour into fiscal policy)?

How much did you write for fiscal?
If it makes up 1 point then I think it will be fine.
How much did you write for fiscal?
If it makes up 1 point then I think it will be fine.

I defined fiscal at the beginning but tbh I wrote very little about it. It was linked to my point about the conflict between economic growth and inequality
If you were to write incorrect KAA, but your evaluation was relevant and correct on the mark scheme, would you get any marks for that?? E.g. for the 30 marker in Q1 if I only wrote that the demand-side policy caused a rise in inflation, but didn't say what it conflicted with, then evaluated that inflation may not occur because of whatever reason, would I get marks???
Hi guys for the inflation 12 marker would I get marks for saying a benefit of low inflation is that it lowers the real interest rates.
Original post by Posh Student
Hi guys for the inflation 12 marker would I get marks for saying a benefit of low inflation is that it lowers the real interest rates.

I think so but u have to explain why it is good
Hey, for the investment 8 marker, I wrote 1 reason about why investment increased - as it did increase between 2009 and 2010 I think. Would I lose marks as the question was about change in business investment, not specifically decrease

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending