The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

students from England at Edinburgh?

What would you say is the rough proportion of students coming from England at Edinburgh?
I'm considering applying next year for English Lit, I currently live in the south of England so I'm just a bit scared as I have no idea if there'll be a big culture change or not? Also I read someone that there can be tension between English and Scottish students and people form cliques based on this, please tell me it's not true!

Also, if anyone who lives in England and is studying at Ed now could possibly tell me how often you go back home to visit that'd be great😜

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by west1806
What would you say is the rough proportion of students coming from England at Edinburgh?
I'm considering applying next year for English Lit, I currently live in the south of England so I'm just a bit scared as I have no idea if there'll be a big culture change or not? Also I read someone that there can be tension between English and Scottish students and people form cliques based on this, please tell me it's not true!

Also, if anyone who lives in England and is studying at Ed now could possibly tell me how often you go back home to visit that'd be great😜

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol @ culture change. Edinburgh is basically full of posh southerners and Americans.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Posted from TSR Mobile

My (English) son attended Edinburgh and still lives there now. The idea of being discriminated against never even crossed his mind, nor played any part in his experience. Edinburgh is a big, multicultural UK city. The south of England doesn't have a monopoly on tolerance and culture. Edinburgh university has a massively diverse student intake. I doubt you'll notice where most people are from and if you don't go there imagining it's like another world unlike anything you've ever experienced before, I doubt you'll notice any difference from the south of England.
Reply 3
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
My (English) son attended Edinburgh and still lives there now. The idea of being discriminated against never even crossed his mind, nor played any part in his experience. Edinburgh is a big, multicultural UK city. The south of England doesn't have a monopoly on tolerance and culture. Edinburgh university has a massively diverse student intake. I doubt you'll notice where most people are from and if you don't go there imagining it's like another world unlike anything you've ever experienced before, I doubt you'll notice any difference from the south of England.

Thank you, just what I wanted to hear

That's what I thought, it's just that I'd seen a couple of negative TSR posts on this subject before so I wanted to clarify

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what I thought, it's just that I'd seen a couple of negative TSR posts on this subject before so I wanted to clarify

Southern England isn't all flowers and sunshine either.
Reply 5
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
Southern England isn't all flowers and sunshine either.

Yeah I know that trust me. I never said it was better in any way😳

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is literally no culture change. Edinburgh is FULL of english and international students, honestly I firmly believe there are more english students here than Scottish ones, and there are tonnes of people from all over (China, USA, Canada, Germany, Netherlands, India, Hong Kong, Australia, etc). I know loads of english people and they are pretty cool, everyone gets along with everyone... Of course there are some 'cliquey' groups of just one type of nationality but I know lots of groups of people that are really diverse - just depends on who you would rather hang out with.
Reply 7
Original post by Ambry
There is literally no culture change. Edinburgh is FULL of english and international students, honestly I firmly believe there are more english students here than Scottish ones, and there are tonnes of people from all over (China, USA, Canada, Germany, Netherlands, India, Hong Kong, Australia, etc). I know loads of english people and they are pretty cool, everyone gets along with everyone... Of course there are some 'cliquey' groups of just one type of nationality but I know lots of groups of people that are really diverse - just depends on who you would rather hang out with.

Great! Thank you! That's the impression I'm now getting from TSR, so many applicants seem to be either english or American or something. I love the international aspect though, sounds cool.
Great! Thank you! That's the impression I'm now getting from TSR, so many applicants seem to be either english or American or something. I love the international aspect though, sounds cool.

You see a lot of Europeans because they get free tuition.

Due to EU law at student from one EU country studying in another EU country must be charged the same fees as home students there. So they pay £0.

Americans pay international fees but they pale in comparison to fees at colleges of similar calibre to Edinburgh in the USA.
Original post by Ambry

I have a hard time believing there are more English students than Scottish there. Got any evidence on that? I certainly felt in a minority when I was there.
Original post by Don John
I have a hard time believing there are more English students than Scottish there. Got any evidence on that? I certainly felt in a minority when I was there.

I've certainly seen numbers in the past that suggest English/RUK students outnumber Scottish-domiciled students by some distance - but I don't have them to hand and of course this may have changed.
Reply 11
Original post by Don John

Honestly, its just my experiences I am basing this off of, but I have some data here -
(slightly outdated article) http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/9234866/Edinburgh-University-denies-treating-English-students-as-a-cash-cow.html -
'the number of English students offered a place at Edinburgh has increased from 2,084 on April 1 last year to 4,996 a year later. Over the same period the Scottish total has risen from 2,996 to 4,782.'
So, slightly more english students got offers. However, that is just offers and it is from 2012... Maybe less english students took up a place? I don't know. It just definitely feels like there are a lot of english students here, I kind of like it. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there were more english than Scottish students here.

There is honestly very little data I was able to find so I can't confirm or deny it. Honestly, it was just advice I was giving to OP based on what I had found during my time at the university. That is my experience, and you have yours :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Hi West1806,

I think the majority of English Literature students at Edinburgh are actually from England but some courses have more Scottish/International students.

It's a good idea to think about how often you can realistically go home- sometimes you can get cheap train tickets and it's definitely worth investing in a 16-25/Student Railcard. I live in the Midlands and went through a period of travelling home by train every other weekend, it took 4 hours and was quite exhausting so I would recommend maybe starting by going home once a month and then gradually increasing how long you stay in Edinburgh as you become more comfortable in your accommodation.
im english and i'm going! my cousin is scottish and he goes now to the university and most of his friends are english there haha! :smile:
Reply 14
I'm from the Midlands (Staffordshire) and I didn't feel any "culture shock" or hostility or anything - and I went up just before the Referendum! I spoke to people with massive "Yes" badges and they never said anything about my glaringly English accent (to my face anyway :wink: ). I'm going into my second year now, and I'd never even been to Edinburgh before Freshers Week but I love it. It's a beautiful city and an amazing place to live and study.

As for the going home bit, as I said I live in the midlands. I have a student bank account with Santander because one of their benefits is a free 4 year Railcard which is VERY USEFUL. It costs me around 40 quid for a return ticket from Edinburgh to where I live. I don't go home very often, but that's to do with my preferences and not because train tickets are expensive. I also have a friend who lives in Bath who catches a plane to Bristol Airport instead of catching a train because it's cheaper and quicker. So to sum up: no, I doubt it would be unreasonably expensive for you to go home regularly if you wanted to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending