The Student Room Group

LSE environment economics

Hi.
I have applied at lse for environmental economics and climate change and it's been over 9 weeks and I haven't received either acceptance or rejection note. However, I received offer letter from Edinburgh and Manchester. Do I stand a fair chance to be accepted at lse? Is my waiting period absolutely normal. This is quite anxious time for me. Help please!:confused:
Reply 1
What a coincidence, got in the exact same unis as you did, although i did get into lse, willyou be there??
Reply 2
Original post by mktpec
What a coincidence, got in the exact same unis as you did, although i did get into lse, willyou be there??

nope:frown::frown: got in an UCL though with 50 percent scholarship. Any idea which university has a upper hand- UCL or Edinburgh?
Reply 3
You applied to the Msc in ecological economics? Well i loved that degree, i had hard time choosing between that and Lse. I asume you got into the environmental economica and energy policy? Well i dont know what your prefferences are, but id go to edinburgh
Reply 4
Original post by mktpec
You applied to the Msc in ecological economics? Well i loved that degree, i had hard time choosing between that and Lse. I asume you got into the environmental economica and energy policy? Well i dont know what your prefferences are, but id go to edinburgh

I applied for Environment and Sustainable Development at UCL which is under Bartlett Development Planning Unit and for a similar course at Edinburgh. I am not an economist by background but a social sciences person.
I am having a tough time choosing between the two. Well I would prefer the degree that could fetch me a better job. so basically I am looking for a uni andd course with excellent reputation in the job market.
Reply 5
Original post by Kamayani
I applied for Environment and Sustainable Development at UCL which is under Bartlett Development Planning Unit and for a similar course at Edinburgh. I am not an economist by background but a social sciences person.
I am having a tough time choosing between the two. Well I would prefer the degree that could fetch me a better job. so basically I am looking for a uni andd course with excellent reputation in the job market.

congratulations though for getting into lse. I wouldnt give a second thought about any other course had I been accepted :u:
Reply 6
congratulations though for getting into lse. I wouldnt give a second thought about any other course had I been accepted :u:

Thanks!! I am an economist but with a strong focus on environmental economics so it was a very good mach to what i want to do in the future. Since you applied to different degrees im not 100% qualified to say whichone is the best option with certainty. Both are great unis, the 50% scholarship is also something to consider! Id go for UCL
Reply 7
Original post by mktpec
Thanks!! I am an economist but with a strong focus on environmental economics so it was a very good mach to what i want to do in the future. Since you applied to different degrees im not 100% qualified to say whichone is the best option with certainty. Both are great unis, the 50% scholarship is also something to consider! Id go for UCL

true.. going through student discussion forums gives me an impression that ucl is a top notch in UK and has a lower acceptance rate. However edinburgh's course is slightly more towards what I exactly want to pursue. edinburgh hasnt announcedd their scholarships results yet so will see what assistance can they provide.
thanks for your advice:smile:
Reply 8
No worries! Goodluck.
Reply 9
Hi.
I have applied at lse for environmental economics and climate change and it's been over 9 weeks and I haven't received either acceptance or rejection note. However, I received offer letter from Edinburgh and Manchester. Do I stand a fair chance to be accepted at lse? Is my waiting period absolutely normal. This is quite anxious time for me. Help please!:confused:

Hey there, I am in the same situation (LSE+Edinburgh). Which one did you go for and why? Damn it's hard to choose.
Stop boasting yourselves to discourage others.

The possibility for getting into UCL is tiny so 50 % scholarship is ultimately impossible to be true.
nope:frown::frown: got in an UCL though with 50 percent scholarship. Any idea which university has a upper hand- UCL or Edinburgh?

I also had an offer from UCL, LSE and Imperial for Env Tech. I heard from one alumnus that the level of economics is poor compared to LSE, from someone who studied EPEE at UCL and studied previously at LSE. However a scholarship is not to be sniffed at and UCL is Michael Grubb's baby (read 'Global Economics'). Not sureabout Edinburgh, but I am hesitating between LSE and Imperial, but I am leaning towards IMperial, mainly because I want to focus more on energy policy and I am a little afraid the LSE course may be too academic and economics heavy - particularly as a non-economist myself.
Reply 12
What careers would you be looking at with these sorts of degrees? I hope to apply for Environment with Economics at LSE too, but I'm not really sure of the kind of careers you can go into from this?
Anything where there is a need for the correction of perceived market failures by considering the value of public goods in transactions, e.g. climate change, pollution, water resources, agriculture, forestry. This has been an approach to reducing the impact of climate change for some time now and is becoming increasingly important in evaluating the environmental impact of projects, in the Payment for Ecosystem Services (PES) and in taxing / fining pollution. The public setor is in incresing need of environmental economists: in the UK: DECC, DEFRA and possibly DFID. Internationally, the World Bank, IMF, IFC are increasingly recruiting for environmental evaluation of a range of projects (energy, agriculture, water resource mgmt, land mgmt, desertification, climate change mitigation), PES, REDD projects, and we should not forget UNEP, UNFCCC, European Environment Agency. Then there are a number of NGOs (WWF, Conservation International, IUCN), think tanks or research institutes (ODI, IIED, IISD, SEI, New Economics Foundation) or consultancies in need of environmental economists (Cambridge Economic Policy Analysts, KPMG and the rest). Then there are the perhaps more financial areas, working in carbon markets, though that is not such a great area right now. Still some NGOs/foundations are looking at how it could be improved (Carbon Trust, Gold Standard). Anyone like to add anything to that??
Original post by Paolokiwi
Anything where there is a need for the correction of perceived market failures by considering the value of public goods in transactions, e.g. climate change, pollution, water resources, agriculture, forestry. This has been an approach to reducing the impact of climate change for some time now and is becoming increasingly important in evaluating the environmental impact of projects, in the Payment for Ecosystem Services (PES) and in taxing / fining pollution. The public setor is in incresing need of environmental economists: in the UK: DECC, DEFRA and possibly DFID. Internationally, the World Bank, IMF, IFC are increasingly recruiting for environmental evaluation of a range of projects (energy, agriculture, water resource mgmt, land mgmt, desertification, climate change mitigation), PES, REDD projects, and we should not forget UNEP, UNFCCC, European Environment Agency. Then there are a number of NGOs (WWF, Conservation International, IUCN), think tanks or research institutes (ODI, IIED, IISD, SEI, New Economics Foundation) or consultancies in need of environmental economists (Cambridge Economic Policy Analysts, KPMG and the rest). Then there are the perhaps more financial areas, working in carbon markets, though that is not such a great area right now. Still some NGOs/foundations are looking at how it could be improved (Carbon Trust, Gold Standard). Anyone like to add anything to that??

hi i plan to apply for the lse enviroment policy and regulation. do you think is it as good as the environment economics for theses institutions you mentioned? I dont have a strong quantitative bakground so I think i might struggle or not get in in the economics masters.

Quick Reply

Latest