The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

People say HL maths is harder than Further maths + Maths...

How true is this statement?
How good do you need to be to do it? Getting basically 100% in a GCSE paper? or A solid A* each time but not 100% (85-90%)
Original post by Xphoenix
People say HL maths is harder than Further maths + Maths...

How true is this statement?
How good do you need to be to do it? Getting basically 100% in a GCSE paper? or A solid A* each time but not 100% (85-90%)

IB FM + Maths is easier than just Maths. You need to practice maths constantly to improve, and having more exposure to maths really helps your understanding. The most important thing is that you understand, there's very little rote learning in Maths (you need to learn by heart a few proofs for FM).

I would avoid HL Maths and FM unless you need it for whatever at university though, it's one of the hardest subjects when you first start out, but will become one of the easier ones with practice. I'd only suggest HL Maths to people who can get a solid A* at GCSE, although there is a HUGE step up between GCSE and HL Maths. I got an A* in GCSE Maths and an A in AdMaths. Got a 3 in my first IB Maths test. I've never got 6s or even 7s consistently up until now (exams in May for me), because I've spent a lot of time practising past paper questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bude8
IB FM + Maths is easier than just Maths. You need to practice maths constantly to improve, and having more exposure to maths really helps your understanding. The most important thing is that you understand, there's very little rote learning in Maths (you need to learn by heart a few proofs for FM).

I would avoid HL Maths and FM unless you need it for whatever at university though, it's one of the hardest subjects when you first start out, but will become one of the easier ones with practice. I'd only suggest HL Maths to people who can get a solid A* at GCSE, although there is a HUGE step up between GCSE and HL Maths. I got an A* in GCSE Maths and an A in AdMaths. Got a 3 in my first IB Maths test. I've never got 6s or even 7s consistently up until now (exams in May for me), because I've spent a lot of time practising past paper questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What I meant was A level Maths and Further Maths is easier than IB Higher Maths.

Well I need HL maths minimum for university course but if my GCSE result say otherwise, then... I may need to change to A levels or Change course entirely.

So can someone address the question...

Is IB HL maths Harder than A level Maths+FM?
Original post by Xphoenix
What I meant was A level Maths and Further Maths is easier than IB Higher Maths.

Well I need HL maths minimum for university course but if my GCSE result say otherwise, then... I may need to change to A levels or Change course entirely.

So can someone address the question...

Is IB HL maths Harder than A level Maths+FM?

A level Maths + FM will start easy then become harder I think. IB Maths is the other way around. However, in A level Maths + FM you will have more maths lessons which helps your overall understanding of maths. The IB maths course covers most of A level Maths + FM without any mechanics. I have half the number of maths lessons my A level Maths + FM friends have.
Hi all

I'm putting together some resources for students who are about to begin the IB. If you let me know what you guys are looking for by filling out a short survey here, I'll know what sort of stuff to put together

I finished the IB not too long ago, finished with a 42, and happy to share what I learnt through my DP!
Hi again,
I need to submit my IB subject choices in few days, so I am asking you guys for an opinion.
HL Math
HL Computer Science
HL Economics

SL English
SL ab inition German

and i need one final subject. Should I pick SL Physics or something like Geography or Physcology? Please answer quick.
Thank you :smile:
Original post by DzanYNWA
Hi again,I need to submit my IB subject choices in few days, so I am asking you guys for an opinion.HL MathHL Computer ScienceHL EconomicsSL EnglishSL ab inition Germanand i need one final subject. Should I pick SL Physics or something like Geography or Physcology? Please answer quick.Thank you :smile:

Depends on what you want to become in the future. HL maths is a LOT of work but if you enjoy maths and stay on top of the work load then you'll be fine. Also HL computer science is not good for people who are not good at Java and learning theory - but if you did it at GCSE then it should be okay.

(I noticed your above post about engineering) I think that physics is better for engineering, you should check the course requirements for the universities you want to go to on UCAS though just in case. SL geography should be a breeze and I'd recommend it over psychology (more well respected).
Original post by Kangie
Depends on what you want to become in the future. HL maths is a LOT of work but if you enjoy maths and stay on top of the work load then you'll be fine. Also HL computer science is not good for people who are not good at Java and learning theory - but if you did it at GCSE then it should be okay.

(I noticed your above post about engineering) I think that physics is better for engineering, you should check the course requirements for the universities you want to go to on UCAS though just in case. SL geography should be a breeze and I'd recommend it over psychology (more well respected).

I changed my mind, I want to study something like software engineering, not typical engineering so Physics is not really needed. Math is not a problem for me and I'm quite good at programming. I don't really like physics but I think it would go well with other subjects. I'm just afraid that I will have to work a lot with Physics. That's why I am considering some easier subjects such as Geo or Physiology.
Original post by pbunny
Definitely don't drop higher level chemistry - its required for medicine. Drop business to standard level and I recommend you do the same for English. Look you'll still be doing English but by taking it at standard level, you're reducing your workload and that will give you time to focus on your highers (which are relatively hard) as well as will make getting a 7 easier - in case you weren't aware, getting 7 in English in notoriously difficult, especially at higher level. Plus, if you're doing literature, you'll only be studying 2 less books than higher level students so you won't miss out on much.

Hello, there! I really appreciate your advice, and since I submitted my choices to the thread, they've changed. Now they are:

English HL
History HL
Chemistry HL
Japanese B HL
Economics SL
Math SL

My school does not offer business SL, so I've opted for economics sl, though I've heard it is fairly challenging. I've kept chemistry, math, and japanese, but I've chosen not to take biology, as I've realized that I really don't enjoy the subject as much as I thought, and the teacher for it is not a very good one. I've previously been extremely nervous about pursuing history at sl, let alone hl, but I've spoken to the counsellor, and I've looked over the material and some past papers, and I think I can handle the work. My biggest concern is what I can assume to be an overwhelming amount of written work from History and English, which is why I've decided that if I really cannot handle the workload after the first semester, I will drop down to English SL.
Original post by theaaaa
Hello, there! I really appreciate your advice, and since I submitted my choices to the thread, they've changed. Now they are:colone:nglish HLHistory HLChemistry HLJapanese B HLEconomics SLMath SLMy school does not offer business SL, so I've opted for economics sl, though I've heard it is fairly challenging. I've kept chemistry, math, and japanese, but I've chosen not to take biology, as I've realized that I really don't enjoy the subject as much as I thought, and the teacher for it is not a very good one. I've previously been extremely nervous about pursuing history at sl, let alone hl, but I've spoken to the counsellor, and I've looked over the material and some past papers, and I think I can handle the work. My biggest concern is what I can assume to be an overwhelming amount of written work from History and English, which is why I've decided that if I really cannot handle the workload after the first semester, I will drop down to English SL.

Hi! IB Economics, IMO, is a really nice course so I hope you enjoy it. And sure it can be challenging but if you study regularly and practice writing essays you'll be more than fine.

Oh so medicine is out of the picture now?

I understand where you're coming from but I don't think you'll be writing much less in English SL as there is very little difference in workload between SL/HL. But do drop it if you don't think you'll be able to handle the workload later on.

Good luck with IB!
Just got accepted into an IB world school. I'm pretty excited and have been reading all about the subjects. Here's what I've chosen:
History HL
English HL
Theatre HL
Spanish Ab Initio
Math Studies
Biology SL
What do you guys think of these subjects? I'll be very grateful for any input. Thanks. :biggrin:
Original post by MetallicElvis
Just got accepted into an IB world school. I'm pretty excited and have been reading all about the subjects. Here's what I've chosen:
History HL
English HL
Theatre HL
Spanish Ab Initio
Math Studies
Biology SL
What do you guys think of these subjects? I'll be very grateful for any input. Thanks. :biggrin:

I loved Spanish Ab Initio, and I was really glad I took it. Can't say anything about the others though :biggrin:
I take more or less the same! I've found that it's a really good combo! I started off with A level then switched to ib then changed my highers so I comple understand your doubts etc. history HL is great if u like history, for part of the course you do an investigation into any part of history up to 10 years ago so for me 2005 which is amazing because you can really explore a topic not covered in the syllabus that you might be interested in. The main thing is to stick to dead lines with that and really get going fast or it hangs over you and you end up hating what is actually a really great opportunity. English HL is fab! It's such a good course!!! There is so much flexibility, it really depends on your teacher though tbh. I took Theatre HL but dropped it for art. I think it's different in each school but a good course, though from what I know it's got a bit of theory. Spanish Ab Initio is great, keep on top of vocab! Again depends on your class and teacher. I have an awesome teacher and there's 5 people in my class so it's pretty great! Maths studies is good banter, again class and teacher but I would recommend and if you got a decent GCSES or equivalent you will manage just fine. Biology SL there's a lot to learn, some is boring but you do a lot of practicals and some topics are really interesting but I think that's more personal preference. I also take Visual Art HL (instead of theatre) and I enjoy it :smile: hope this helps let me know if you have any specific questions I totally understand where you are coming from
Hiya, I have applied to do the following subjects at an IB school
HL
Chemistry
Physics
Economics

SL
English
Spanish
Maths

I plan to study some form of engineering at university and i know maths, chemistry and physics will be useful for the engineering paths I am considering. Some of my friends have told me that universities only look at your higher subjects, is this really the case?
If it is would it be better if I do HL Maths instead of economics? Please advice me anyone. thanks. :smile:
Original post by Quechicadlt
HL
Chemistry
Physics
Economics

SL
English
Spanish
Maths

I plan to study some form of engineering at university and i know maths, chemistry and physics will be useful for the engineering paths I am considering. Some of my friends have told me that universities only look at your higher subjects, is this really the case?
If it is would it be better if I do HL Maths instead of economics? Please advice me anyone. thanks. :smile:

From what I know, the offer you receive from your university (at least in the UK) may depend on the grades you achieved in your HLs.

For any engineering course I would recommend HL math and HL physics, definitely. Unless you think you would fail it, but then maybe engineering isn't for you anyways.

Again depending on what type of engineering you were thinking of studying, I would recommend considering taking Chem SL and Econ HL, just because the combination of Maths, Chem and Physics HL is hard (from what I've heard).

Good luck!
Original post by MetallicElvis
History HL
English HL
Theatre HL
Spanish Ab Initio
Math Studies
Biology SL

Hi there,I really like your IB subject combinations. May I know more about IB theatre as I'm planning to take it as one of my sl subjects. Also, do you have any past experience on theatre work?
Hi guys,
Here are the subjects I've chosen

HL
English
Chinese
Economics

SL
ESS
Math studies
Theatre

I don't know if HL economics is the right choice for me as I'm not very good in math. Any suggestions? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Quechicadlt
HL
Chemistry
Physics
Economics

SL
English
Spanish
Maths

OMG!!!! You have the exact same subjects as me! On top of that I also am looking into engineering!!

I have the same problem as you about maths. Umm I don't know where you are based but in the UK there are some unis that accept SL maths however require a high grade in HL physics. Also they may make you take some maths modules during uni...

All the best!
Original post by Jennifer579
Hi guys,
Here are the subjects I've chosen

HL
English
Chinese
Economics

SL
ESS
Math studies
Theatre

I don't know if HL economics is the right choice for me as I'm not very good in math. Any suggestions? Thanks :smile:

Hi, I do HL Economics and in all honesty three isn't really much maths at all and when there is, it's really simple maths :smile: At my school, there are 5 of us who take HL and 3 do maths studies and they are still hitting top marks in Economics. One of the exam papers is a more mathsy paper but it's only really things like calculating percentages :smile:
Hi guys

Subject selection is too vast to cover in one post, so we've brought together some ex-IB students and IB examiners to post on just about every subject over here - http://bit.ly/CallidoFB (we've started with everyone's favourite - which Maths?)

We will also be shortly offering free one-on-one advice on subject selection.

Cheers

Latest

Trending

Trending