The Student Room Group

Riddle

Scroll to see replies

Original post by huzza
This is an easy one:

what is as big as you but does not weigh anything?

Your shadow?
Original post by huzza
This is an easy one:

what is as big as you but does not weigh anything?

your shadow

ok i have one (might be easy tho :P)

there is a woman who lives on the 20th floor of her apartment building. everyday she uses the elevator to get to ground floor and goes to work. she works for 8 hours and when she comes home, she takes the elevator to the 7th floor and then takes the stairs to the 20th floor to get to her flat.

why does she take the stairs?
Original post by mmms95

why does she take the stairs?

Because she is too short to reach the twentieth floor button in the lift. She can only reach as far as the seventh floor button.
Original post by Good bloke
Because she is too short to reach the twentieth floor button in the lift. She can only reach as far as the seventh floor button.

correct! :smile:
Original post by Bustamove
I am round but not always around
My light's bright when dark, dark when bright
Of two faces, Only one comes to light
My presence, signaled by the pack's cry
Sending prey, squealing with fright
I am white as snow, yet I can be red as blood
On my command, Of hunters, the forest is flood
I am your shield to stones, I guard thee
Been admired for centuries and met face to face once, yet you still don't know much about me
A God to some, A God to another
Men and Tides, both worship me and bow
Yet I was once found under a cow
Who am I?

I made this up :smile: So don't try and google it XD
This is what happens when I procrastinate :wink:

(don't judge me, don't judge me)
Did a small edit, but only because I wanted it to rhyme XD

The moon?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FreshGarbage

yaa :smile:
yaa :smile:

Wow, you made that riddle by yourself? Its really good!
Original post by Xiuchen
Wow, you made that riddle by yourself? Its really good!

Thank you :smile: It's the product of my procrastination :smile:
Thank you :smile: It's the product of my procrastination :smile:

I procrastinate sooo much too:colone:
I posed the following as a riddle a couple of pages ago, but nobody solved it, so I shall post it again.

Twenty prisoners are in a prison. The warden says, "Tomorrow, I shall send you to your cells, where you will be completely isolated from everyone else. In my head, I have placed each of you into one of two categories - either 'red' or 'blue'. Perhaps you are all red, or all blue, or some of each - who knows?

Anyhow, tomorrow I will visit each of your cells individually and tell you what category every prisoner, other than yourself, is in. I will then allow you to make a guess at your own category. If at least 10 of you guess correctly, then you will all be released. If not, you will all be executed.

You have until tomorrow to talk amongst yourselves and decide upon a strategy. Good luck."

How can the prisoners guarantee that at least 10 of them will guess correctly?

Note: The prisoners cannot hear what is happening in other cells, so cannot hear anybody else's guess. Also, the warden does not indicate whether any guess was correct until right at the end when they are all either released or executed.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by theOldBean
I posed the following as a riddle a couple of pages ago, but nobody solved it, so I shall post it again.

Twenty prisoners are in a prison. The warden says, "Tomorrow, I shall send you to your cells, where you will be completely isolated from everyone else. In my head, I have placed each of you into one of two categories - either 'red' or 'blue'. Perhaps you are all red, or all blue, or some of each - who knows?

Anyhow, tomorrow I will visit each of your cells individually and tell you what category every prisoner, other than yourself, is in. I will then allow you to make a guess at your own category. If at least 10 of you guess correctly, then you will all be released. If not, you will all be executed.

You have until tomorrow to talk amongst yourselves and decide upon a strategy. Good luck."

Note: The prisoners cannot hear what is happening in other cells, so cannot hear anybody else's guess. Also, the warden does not indicate whether any guess was correct until right at the end when they are all either released or executed.

Since the guard tells them how many others are which colour, they could all just guess the colour the guard tells them that has the bigger number right? So the guard will say 10 red 9 blue and that person will guess red. Right? I think that works:s-smilie:
Original post by Xiuchen
Since the guard tells them how many others are which colour, they could all just guess the colour the guard tells them that has the bigger number right? So the guard will say 10 red 9 blue and that person will guess red. Right? I think that works:s-smilie:

What if there are exactly 10 of each colour? How many of them would guess correctly if they followed this rule?
(edited 8 years ago)
What if there are exactly 10 of each colour? How many of them would guess correctly if they followed this rule?

ok Unless they say 9, 10 then always guess the one with more :s-smilie:?

LOL, I tried, I gave up XD
Original post by Xiuchen
ok Unless they say 9, 10 then always guess the one with more :s-smilie:?

But if there were 11 red and 9 blue then 11 of them would be wrong. Here is are two hints; one small and one big.

Small Hint:

Spoiler

:
Big Hint:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
But if there were 11 red and 9 blue then 11 of them would be wrong. Here is are two hints; one small and one big.

Small Hint:

Spoiler

:
Big Hint:

Spoiler

Divide the prisoners up to 10 pairs. 5 pairs will answer with the colour blue, 5 pairs answer the colour red? complete guess
Divide the prisoners up to 10 pairs. 5 pairs will answer with the colour blue, 5 pairs answer the colour red? complete guess

If the five pairs who guessed blue were all red and the five pairs who guessed red were all blue then you'd be screwed. You need to use the fact that you know what colour everyone else is. In other words, what colour you guess needs to depend upon what other people's colours are.
(edited 8 years ago)
If the five pairs who guessed blue were all red and the five pairs who guessed red were all blue then you'd be screwed. You need to use the fact that you know what colour everyone else is.

Ohhhhhh is in each pair one guess the bigger number the guard says and the other says the smaller number? I think that will mean there is always 10 right, 10 wrong right?:s-smilie: My brain hurts!
Original post by Xiuchen
Ohhhhhh is in each pair one guess the bigger number the guard says and the other says the smaller number? I think that will mean there is always 10 right, 10 wrong right?:s-smilie: My brain hurts!

This is the right general idea (though you need to get away from the 'whichever there is more of' strategy) but I don't think this works. For example, if each pair consisted of a red person and a blue person then everybody would be wrong, if I understood what you meant correctly.
If the five pairs who guessed blue were all red and the five pairs who guessed red were all blue then you'd be screwed. You need to use the fact that you know what colour everyone else is. In other words, what colour you guess needs to depend upon what other people's colours are.

when the warden comes in to the jail, it depends on the order of the people he questions? he also can't see the other's prisoners hat, (he may know their hat colour, but he can't see them and he also wouldn't know the order of the questioning?)

I'm so baffled by this LOL

Quick Reply

Latest