The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 480
Anyone know a method to always be able to find the range and domain for any equation?
Never quite get them :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tplox
Anyone know a method to always be able to find the range and domain for any equation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

it varies depending on the question, there's no formulae or equation that works for all :smile: Maybe if you have specific questions you can put them up
it seems silly but the thing i find hardest in c3 is sketching inverse functions even though I know that it's a reflection in y=x and that when you do this the x and y co-ordinates of any point switch around. i just find it hard to visualise the reflection. Any tips for this?
Original post by arsenalfc97
it seems silly but the thing i find hardest in c3 is sketching inverse functions even though I know that it's a reflection in y=x and that when you do this the x and y co-ordinates of any point switch around. i just find it hard to visualise the reflection. Any tips for this?

i find sketching the modulus graphs a bit hard and finding ranges of fg(x) ugh can someone tell me if there's a good way to find range of a function given the domain?
I'm very confident for c3, I aiming for 100ums!
Original post by Ripper Phoenix
i find sketching the modulus graphs a bit hard and finding ranges of fg(x) ugh can someone tell me if there's a good way to find range of a function given the domain?

Find the range, usually plug in the smallest value of the domain into the equation, it'll give you the range
draw the graph as well it really helps!
what are you stuck on with modulus graphs? if it's mod the whole f(x) you delete below x, and reflect it
if it's mod of x in the f(x) function, you just delete the left of the y axis and reflect the right in the line x=0
Reply 486
How do you guys control nerves? I have a lot of potential but in the exams for maths I always seem to underperform even though I've worked so hard, it's really frustrating, any tips please!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 487
Original post by Tplox

Posted from TSR Mobile

A quick sketch of the graph could be helpful :smile:
Original post by lam12
How do you guys control nerves? I have a lot of potential but in the exams for maths I always seem to underperform even though I've worked so hard, it's really frustrating, any tips please!

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you prepare well, they cannot ask you a single question you don't know how to answer. Even if they ask you a 'weird' question its just matter of working out what bit of knowledge (which you have if you prepare well) they want you to apply. Reminding myself of this usually means I am pretty calm in maths exams

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 490
Original post by samb1234
If you prepare well, they cannot ask you a single question you don't know how to answer. Even if they ask you a 'weird' question its just matter of working out what bit of knowledge (which you have if you prepare well) they want you to apply. Reminding myself of this usually means I am pretty calm in maths exams

Posted from TSR Mobile

When you're in the exam what do you do if you don't know how to answer a question. I move a lot around the paper which I think is quite bad for me as it makes me more nervous but yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile
My calculator has the ability to do numerical differentiation. I pick a value of x, work out what the output from my derivative that I have just worked out is for that value of x. I then type the original equation given in the question into my calculator, and tell it to work out the gradient for the same value of x. If both answers are the same, therefore my differentiation must be correct

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're not allowed a calculator like that in your exam!!
Original post by rayquaza17
You're not allowed a calculator like that in your exam!!

Yes you are. You can't have a calculator that does symbolic calculus but numerical is fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes you are. You can't have a calculator that does symbolic calculus but numerical is fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fx 991es?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I must say it's absolutely brilliant. Summing series, dot product, matrix multiplication, integration, differentiation... The list goes on

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
I must say it's absolutely brilliant. Summing series, dot product, matrix multiplication, integration, differentiation... The list goes on

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree its very good for checking answers

Posted from TSR Mobile

What a don of a calculator :wink:
Reply 498
Original post by lam12
When you're in the exam what do you do if you don't know how to answer a question. I move a lot around the paper which I think is quite bad for me as it makes me more nervous but yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here..
Hi guys I'm really struggling with domain and range questions can anyone help me with the first one I have worked out the inverse function. But not sure how to do the domain and range. Thanks image.jpg

Latest

Trending

Trending