The Student Room Group

AQA Sociology Unit 2 Education and Research Methods Forum

Scroll to see replies

But don't worry that is a part of one question out of many!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Omg first 24 marker on policies was sooo good! And so was the 12 marker! However the methods in context one was ok as I picked overt non participant observation! But as the 20 markers went on it just got worse lol!! 20 marker on official statistics??? I could barely think of an introduction for that!! Defo didn't do well on that question :frown: and I didn't know what snowball sampling was either!! But hey, hopefully I got a B would've loved to get an A bit I don't think I can now that I barely wrote anything for the last 20 marker!
Reply 582
Original post by Funeroonie
That was such a great paper!
For the 20 marker for education did you have to mention gender , ethnicity and class or would have it been fine to just do social inequalities? Because some people in my class did all 3 social groups..

I added that in my evaluation- as social inequality is not the only reason for low achievement for WC pupils it also depends on gender and race as oversubscribed schools prefer girls and do not prefer W/C black boys etc etc. But you'll be fine :smile:
It was okay the first one was better but this wasn't hard! :smile: BUT GUESS WHAT. I mixed up overt and covert and put that overt is when the observer is secretly watching. I could kick myself!!! I only mentioned it on the first paragraph though but still :frown:
What did people write for government policies? Could you talk about policies for class, gender and ethnicity?
everything went smoothly until I got to the last question :frown:
Value consensus= functionalist term, shared norms and values; have the same same beliefs

Mirrors workplace= hierarchy, extrinsic rewards, fragmented schedule

Processes= labelling, self-fulfilling prophecy, streaming and setting, marketisation (causing A-C economy etc) and pupil subcultures

Policies= tripartite, comprehensive, open enrolment, parentocracy, league tables, ofsted, compensatory education, sure start, EMA, education action zones, increased uni fees, multicultural education, formula funding (think that was all I did not sure)

Methods in context: I did questionnaires

Representative= can be generalised to the whole target population, gives an accurate representation of their answers from an appropriate cross section of society

Lab= artificial environment, expensive to set it up + not always possible to control variables as humans have free will

Sampling= random is where every member of the target population has an equal chance of being selected whereas snowball involves getting one participant to ask others to volunteer. Random is more representative and snowball is more biased

Do you think this is all ok?
For the social policy question, I only wrote about The 1988 Education Reform Act and after. I didn't mention comprehensives, but I wrote a good 5-6 pages on most other things. Should that be okay? Do we have to mention absolutely everything or just a good few well-evaluated points?
I think the Education 20 marker was to do with just class. I mean, there's nothing in the books I have on sociology about government policy and ethnicity or gender.

Overall it wasn't too bad. I think I did well on Education. I wrote about 2 pages for the Applied Methods question (Written questionnaires), which was ok.

The general research methods 20 marker was actually on the same topic as a prior essay I'd done so I was pleased at first. I found I didn't have as much to write as I wanted - came to just under 2 pages including intro and conclusion.

Hoping I got a low-ish A (Sociology isn't a hard subject), if not, my Family paper will probably pull it up.
Reply 589
Original post by gemmax6x
Value consensus= functionalist term, shared norms and values; have the same same beliefs

Mirrors workplace= hierarchy, extrinsic rewards, fragmented schedule

Processes= labelling, self-fulfilling prophecy, streaming and setting, marketisation (causing A-C economy etc) and pupil subcultures

Policies= tripartite, comprehensive, open enrolment, parentocracy, league tables, ofsted, compensatory education, sure start, EMA, education action zones, increased uni fees, multicultural education, formula funding (think that was all I did not sure)

Methods in context: I did questionnaires

Representative= can be generalised to the whole target population, gives an accurate representation of their answers from an appropriate cross section of society

Lab= artificial environment, expensive to set it up + not always possible to control variables as humans have free will

Sampling= random is where every member of the target population has an equal chance of being selected whereas snowball involves getting one participant to ask others to volunteer. Random is more representative and snowball is more biased

Do you think this is all ok?

Almost identical to my answers, so thanks for putting my mind at ease :smile: Apart from I said achieved status (is that similar to intrinsic rewards?) for the marxist question. How did you get on with Official statistics for the 20 marker? I took me while to get ideas going
Original post by salmahussain98
What did people write for government policies? Could you talk about policies for class, gender and ethnicity?

I mentioned:

1. Marketisation - used Stephen Ball to argue it has benefited the middle class.

2. Pupil premium.

3. Comprehensivisation - arguments for and against

Plus intro and conclusion.

I think it was meant to be about just class but maybe they'll be lenient if you wrote about the other two.
Original post by gemmax6x

I thought that was what snowballing meant, but wasn't show. Probably lost a few marks by not putting it down. :frown:

I did write down the definition of random sampling and hopefully they'll get me a mark for that.

Elsewhere I mentioned much of the same that you did. :smile:
Original post by nosaucethanks
For the social policy question, I only wrote about The 1988 Education Reform Act and after. I didn't mention comprehensives, but I wrote a good 5-6 pages on most other things. Should that be okay? Do we have to mention absolutely everything or just a good few well-evaluated points?

I think so. The mark schemes usually have a list of stuff you can mention. Nothing specifically such as comprehensivisation.

BTW - 5-6 pages is a lot! I don't know the size of your handwriting, but I get high marks on mocks by writing 2 1/2 to 3 pages.
Original post by Mkillerby
I think so. The mark schemes usually have a list of stuff you can mention. Nothing specifically such as comprehensivisation.

BTW - 5-6 pages is a lot! I don't know the size of your handwriting, but I get high marks on mocks by writing 2 1/2 to 3 pages.

Awhh, thank you. You've put my mind at ease. My writing is slightly bigger than average; not massive. I just wrote as much evaluation as I could think of at the time! :smile:
Reply 594

I literally just went through all of the policies since 1944 xD I was so excited that social policies came up i didn't really think about what to write.... there go 20 marks xD
Reply 595

I spent waaaaay too long on this question, so definitely wouldn't need to include everything (I compromised the time on my other questions stupidly :frown: )
I wrote about tripartite system (Education Act 1944) and the inequality of segregation, Comprehsive system 1965 (Ball and Douglas criticise streaming), Marketisation (Education Reform Act 1988) and the crits of formula funding /myth of parentocracy, and Bartlett's cream skimming/silt shifting. Labour 1997 compensatory education and contextual value added. Coalition 2010 academies and free schools. and mentioned gender (GIST , WISE) and ethnicity (Multi cultural education) briefly in a conclusion to evaluate.
Original post by BOWE
I spent waaaaay too long on this question, so definitely wouldn't need to include everything (I compromised the time on my other questions stupidly :frown: )
I wrote about tripartite system (Education Act 1944) and the inequality of segregation, Comprehsive system 1965 (Ball and Douglas criticise streaming), Marketisation (Education Reform Act 1988) and the crits of formula funding /myth of parentocracy, and Bartlett's cream skimming/silt shifting. Labour 1997 compensatory education and contextual value added. Coalition 2010 academies and free schools. and mentioned gender (GIST , WISE) and ethnicity (Multi cultural education) briefly in a conclusion to evaluate.

That's a good answer
Original post by risteard
That's a good answer

As you are a teacher, could you please give me a verdict on my answer that I mentioned a few comments ago please?
Original post by nosaucethanks
As you are a teacher, could you please give me a verdict on my answer that I mentioned a few comments ago please?

can you copy it in to a new post?
Original post by risteard
can you copy it in to a new post?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending