The Student Room Group

WJEC GCSE LATIN LANGUAGE EXAM- 21st May

Anyone else sitting this exam? If so, are you ready?

Scroll to see replies

Nooooooooo :frown: I really need to go over all the vocab :frown: I hope it is an easy passage like the 2014 one about that guy with the magic voice or whatever (we did it in the mock!)
Reply 2
Original post by isabellagrace
Nooooooooo :frown: I really need to go over all the vocab :frown: I hope it is an easy passage like the 2014 one about that guy with the magic voice or whatever (we did it in the mock!)

Haha, I sat this last year. It was about Orpheus and Eurydice :tongue:. Good luck for Thursday!
Original post by Lindissa
Haha, I sat this last year. It was about Orpheus and Eurydice :tongue:. Good luck for Thursday!

Oh yeah, Orpheus was so stupid I mean why did he look back?! And thanks :tongue:
Reply 4

im ok with vocab, just need to go over grammar! For vocab there is a really good website memrise.com and on that there is a specific wjec course for learning vocab, it has helped me so much!
Original post by Sara_PLL
im ok with vocab, just need to go over grammar! For vocab there is a really good website memrise.com and on that there is a specific wjec course for learning vocab, it has helped me so much!

I use that! It is really good, I never really bother to much with the grammar, I mean I know the tenses and general endings and stuff but I never bother to go into declensions haha
Reply 6
I use that! It is really good, I never really bother to much with the grammar, I mean I know the tenses and general endings and stuff but I never bother to go into declensions haha

i hate declensions! i never get them, but im going to go over them, you never know, it could be the difference between getting an A and an A*
Reply 7

btw what set text are you doing for the lit exam? There is 7 of us in my latin class and im the only one doing Books and Writers and the rest are doing Ovid Metamorphoses but that is the latin exam im most dreading!
btw what set text are you doing for the lit exam? There is 7 of us in my latin class and im the only one doing Books and Writers and the rest are doing Ovid Metamorphoses but that is the latin exam im most dreading!

I do Messalina by Tacitus... Not sure what that comes under though:wink:
Reply 9

When I did WJEC Latin Literature last year, we did one Themes paper and one Narratives paper. There are two options for each - Books and Writers or Growing up in Rome for Themes, and Ovid's Met or Tacitus' Messalina for Narratives. Are you just doing one literature exam?

You'll be fine, you get a full copy of the texts and a vocab list in the exam to help you :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Lindissa
When I did WJEC Latin Literature last year, we did one Themes paper and one Narratives paper. There are two options for each - Books and Writers or Growing up in Rome for Themes, and Ovid's Met or Tacitus' Messalina for Narratives. Are you just doing one literature exam?

You'll be fine, you get a full copy of the texts and a vocab list in the exam to help you :smile:

did ovid metamorphoses as a controlled assessment worth 50% of lit mark and i think i got a A/B on it but because im the only one doing books and writers for the exam my teacher constantly buts me down about it because he thought that was the harder paper but im doing it because i like that one more. i started memorising the texts which is helping but im dreading this exam!
Reply 11
I do Messalina by Tacitus... Not sure what that comes under though:wink:

how are you revising for the lit exam? im memorising the translations of text but im dreading this exam!
how are you revising for the lit exam? im memorising the translations of text but im dreading this exam!

I do not really know, for the mocks I literally read the English translation the night before and managed to get an A*... Not risking it for the real thing though. I have been doing revision cards on ech part and writing how characters and themes are presented and the corresponding quotes :smile:
Reply 13
I do not really know, for the mocks I literally read the English translation the night before and managed to get an A*... Not risking it for the real thing though. I have been doing revision cards on ech part and writing how characters and themes are presented and the corresponding quotes :smile:

oh cool. I love latin language but hate literature!
oh cool. I love latin language but hate literature!

Yeah i prefer lang too, thank god for lit coursework 🙏🏼
hi i have this examination too yes i have 3 exams tomorrow (!!)

language at gcse level isnt that hard main thing is learn the vocab then you can work the rest out easier to guess grammar than guess vocab.
literature is quite hard but if ur gud at eng lit its not too bad just learn them thurorly and look on wjec clc cscp website for helps.
i use vocablary tester for mine revision helper http://www.cambridgescp.com/singles/wjec/voc.html?u11.t#
http://www.cambridgescp.com/singles/wjec/voc.html?u11.t#
http://www.cambridgescp.com/singles/wjec/voc.html?u11.t#
ok good luck everyone my exams at 1pm so if urs is in the morning tell me the answers ;P (jk, don't even if you do!!)
Reply 16
an dreading this exam. we've got through 5 teachers throughout the course so its not looking promising :s-smilie:
Reply 17
good luck everyone!
That was a sad story! Poor Alcyone.
How did everyone find it?
Happy to be done with language?
Original post by CompyNerd
That was a sad story! Poor Alcyone.
How did everyone find it?
Happy to be done with language?

i thought it was fine, just the carior and carissime bits that got me

Quick Reply

Latest