The Student Room Group

"Say it loud....I'm BLACK & I'm Proud! "History on Black Nationalism...

I figured this forum needs a history reference of "Black Power' or modern times #BlackLivesMatter...

[video="youtube;j0A_N-wmiMo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0A_N-wmiMo[/video]

Black Power is a political slogan and a name for various associated ideologies aimed at achieving self-determination for people of African/Black descent.[1] It is used by African Americans in the United States.[2] The movement was prominent in the late 1960s and early 1970s, emphasizing racial pride and the creation of black political and cultural institutions to nurture and promote black collective interests[3] and advance black values.

"Black Power" expresses a range of political goals, from defense against racial oppression, to the establishment of social institutions and a self-sufficient economy. The earliest known usage of the term is found in a 1954 book by Richard Wright entitled Black Power.[4] Although he did not "coin" the phrase, New York politician Adam Clayton Powell Jr. used the term on May 29, 1966 during a baccalaureate address at Howard University: "To demand these God-given rights is to seek black power.

The Black Power movement produced artistic and cultural products that both embodied and generated pride in "blackness" and further defined an African-American identity that remains contemporary. Black Power is often seen as a cultural revolution as much as a political revolution, with the goal of celebrating and emphasizing the distinctive group culture of African Americans to an American society that had previously been dominated by white artistic and cultural expressions.

The cultural concept of "soul" was fundamental to the image of African-American culture embodied by the Black Power movement. Soul, a type of "in-group cultural cachet," was closely tied to black America's need for individual and group self-identification

Now "Black Power" has evolved to "Black Lives Matter" following the murder of Trayvon Martin
#BlackLivesMatter was created in 2012 after Trayvon Martin’s murderer, George Zimmerman, was acquitted for his crime, and dead 17-year old Trayvon was post-humously placed on trial for his own murder. Rooted in the experiences of Black people in this country who actively resist our de-humanization, #BlackLivesMatter is a call to action and a response to the virulent anti-Black racism that permeates our society.Black Lives Matter is a unique contribution that goes beyond extrajudicial killings of Black people by police and vigilantes.

It goes beyond the narrow nationalism that can be prevalent within Black communities, which merely call on Black people to love Black, live Black and buy Black, keeping straight cis Black men in the front of the movement while our sisters, queer and trans and disabled folk take up roles in the background or not at all. Black Lives Matter affirms the lives of Black queer and trans folks, disabled folks, black-undocumented folks, folks with records, women and all Black lives along the gender spectrum. It centers those that have been marginalized within Black liberation movements. It is a tactic to (re)build the Black liberation movement.

(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Why does the flag have those colours?
Reply 2
Original post by + polarity -
Why does the flag have those colours?

Green, Red, Black are the colors for African Americans and is a depiction of the "African" American flag or Pan African flag for Americans of African descent. Became popular during the Civil rights movement by more radical organizations such as Black Panther Party or Nation of Islam but was developed in 1920 by Pro-Black acitivist.

This is a traditional "African American flag"

The three Pan-African colors on the flag represent:

Red: the blood that unites all people of Black African ancestry, and shed for liberation;

Black: black people whose existence as a nation, though not a nation-state, is affirmed by the existence of the flag; and power

Green: the abundant natural wealth of Africa.

No thanks.
Reply 4
This thread is intended for those whom are offended by my graduation post who clearly need an education on the subject matter. Black Power was born out of segregation and racism of the 50,60s etc and BlackLivesMatter out of the deaths of African Americans and the lack of responsibility in the justice system and police brutality. So this is why you reverse racism idiots can't proclaim black power to be inflaming like white power is.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'd probably get done for being racist if i shouted that. I'm white.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Here we go again.:sigh:
Original post by Beyoncstan
This thread is intended for those whom are offended by my graduation post who clearly need an education on the subject matter. Black Power was born out of segregation and racism of the 50,60s etc and BlackLivesMatter out of the deaths of African Americans and the lack of responsibility in the justice system and police brutality. So this is why you reverse racism idiots can't proclaim black power to be inflaming like white power is.

do u frequent lipstick alley?
Reply 8
I'm white and think ethnic nationalism is repulsive, any nationalism is repulsive, the only decent patriotism is love of ones neighbours.
This forum needs a discussion about white power and white nationalism.

We should be proud of our heritage and not let the man crush us down.

Im White, I'm proud!

#WhitePower
Reply 10
Am I the only one who thinks these people that bang on about black power / white power etc are idiots cut from the same cloth?

How can you be "proud" of something you can't change and had no influence over in the first place?
Original post by King Boo

Im White, I'm proud!

#WhitePower

#WhitePowder

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by JC.
Am I the only one who thinks these people that bang on about black power / white power etc are idiots cut from the same cloth?

How can you be "proud" of something you can't change and had no influence over in the first place?

well I'm black and we pretty much invented every cool thing America is famous for. African American culture is famous worldwide!
Reply 13
well I'm black and we pretty much invented every cool thing America is famous for. African American culture is famous worldwide!

By "we" I take it you mean humans?
There's no such thing as an "African American". It's just a bull**** made up word.
Please **** off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im White, I'm proud!

#WhitePower

Please come back when you're evidently less delusional.
Reply 16
Original post by JC.
By "we" I take it you mean humans?
There's no such thing as an "African American". It's just a bull**** made up word.

BYE FELICIA! Tall just love to come and steal our ideas through some European features on it and call it something new. The British are infamous for stealing black American music and branding it something new! See The Beatles, Rollings Stones, Pink Floyd and more recently Adele, Sam Smith etc
Original post by Imperion
Please come back when you're evidently less delusional.

White nationalism and black nationalism is cut from the same crop.

Neither are right, we need to learn to be equals and accept each other. Promoting the advocation of one race over another is bad, be it black or white people who do it.
White nationalism and black nationalism is cut from the same crop.

Neither are right, we need to learn to be equals and accept each other. Promoting the advocation of one race over another is bad, be it black or white people who do it.

I never said what she's doing is right. But what you're doing too is a kiddish game of tit for tat. Until racism dies, they won't ever be equal. And even if racism dies, you and I will be 6 feet under.
Reply 19
BYE FELICIA! Tall just love to come and steal our ideas through some European features on it and call it something new. The British are infamous for stealing black American music and branding it something new! See The Beatles, Rollings Stones, Pink Floyd and more recently Adele, Sam Smith etc

WTF is "black music"???

Quick Reply

Latest