The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biology BIOL5 - 17th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Barney098
Does anybody know how much time we're supposed to spend on the essay - including planning? I've been told 40 mins with 10 mins planning.

I've been told the same. Can't decide whether I should try and tackle it first or not…maybe it's better to take a glance at the essay titles, jot down a few notes and then go and do the rest of the paper as it might trigger some ideas for the essay?
Original post by MollyMcFly1
I've been told the same. Can't decide whether I should try and tackle it first or not…maybe it's better to take a glance at the essay titles, jot down a few notes and then go and do the rest of the paper as it might trigger some ideas for the essay?
I would recommend doing all the short-answer questions first. All you need is around 65 marks on the short answers and then you'll only need 10/25 on the essay to get the A*. Questions also give away a lot of information that's outside the specification and I found that particularly useful when writing the essay. The essay list below may help you gain a rough idea about what write about and expect on each topic. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aDMxkJjdMSXu3jx1BcYJPKVg_OcgxiGn4ima9YMKHqA/edit
Have had quite a few people asking me for my notes for other modules, etc. so I've put them all onto one thread

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3324211

Best of luck for BIOL5! :smile:
Original post by lllllllllll
I would recommend doing all the short-answer questions first. All you need is around 65 marks on the short answers and then you'll only need 10/25 on the essay to get the A*. Questions also give away a lot of information that's outside the specification and I found that particularly useful when writing the essay. The essay list below may help you gain a rough idea about what write about and expect on each topic. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aDMxkJjdMSXu3jx1BcYJPKVg_OcgxiGn4ima9YMKHqA/edit

Does it still count then if we use outside info from the paper to put into our essays?
Original post by Baloney26
Does it still count then if we use outside info from the paper to put into our essays?

Yes, you'll be given marks for putting outside specification content into your essay given it's relevant to the title and flows well with whatever you're trying to show or explain
Original post by Baloney26

How would aqa know? lol, you can write about anything as long as its related!
Yes, you'll be given marks for putting outside specification content into your essay given it's relevant to the title and flows well with whatever you're trying to show or explain

Awesome I'll have to watch out for relevant extra info when I'm doing the actual paper then!
Original post by Uberphuq
How would aqa know? lol, you can write about anything as long as its related!

Because they wrote the paper... Lol

Thanks!! :biggrin:
Original post by Barney098
Does anybody know how much time we're supposed to spend on the essay - including planning? I've been told 40 mins with 10 mins planning.

Yh my teacher said that AQA suggest that you spend 40 mins writing the essay and 5 mins planning.
However, I think you can manage your time, whilst ensuring you have enough time for the essay at the end so you don't rush it.
Original post by Trisha10001
Yh my teacher said that AQA suggest that you spend 40 mins writing the essay and 5 mins planning.
However, I think you can manage your time, whilst ensuring you have enough time for the essay at the end so you don't rush it.

Woah 40 mins? That's a lot. I usually spent 25mins exactly or 30mins if I'm pushing it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ruby_1696
Woah 40 mins? That's a lot. I usually spent 25mins exactly or 30mins if I'm pushing it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yh that's about right :smile: I guess it depends on the person, but personally I feel you should spend at least 30mins on the essay. :smile:
Hey everyone!

Come on lets predict a few Essays that could come up :smile:

Let's share :smile:

SHARING IS CARING :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Do people do old spec papers or just the new spec ones, and what books do people use jsut the CGP and Toole and Toole or...

What do your teachers reccomend for these things?
Any predictions for the essay titles that could come up this year?
Reply 235
Original post by ytrewq543210
Any predictions for the essay titles that could come up this year?

My teacher thinks they might do one on cycles this year, but I'm hoping for one on uses of DNA tech or something like that! They usually seem to do two from opposite ends of the syllabus,so you should be able to choose one you know a decent amount about anyway :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
How are you guys learning the old AS stuff? I have forgotten 99% of it so I'm trying my best to learn it all, whilst learning Unit 5 :s-smilie:
Reply 237
Original post by Dan205
My teacher thinks they might do one on cycles this year, but I'm hoping for one on uses of DNA tech or something like that! They usually seem to do two from opposite ends of the syllabus,so you should be able to choose one you know a decent amount about anyway :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Highly doubt it
Cycles and DNA tech has already come up
It will be something different

Posted from TSR Mobile
How's everyone's revision going ? :smile:
Has anyone finished revision and onto past papers yet
Original post by aprocrastinator
How are you guys learning the old AS stuff? I have forgotten 99% of it so I'm trying my best to learn it all, whilst learning Unit 5 :s-smilie:

I go through it when I'm making essay plans, killing two birds with one stone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending