The Student Room Group

Character and voice anthology

Any tips or anyone doing character and voice in the poetry exam Friday??

Scroll to see replies

Doing this too :biggrin: I haven't written any practice essays at all yet its worrying me slightly. . .

Does anyone have any predictions? I have a feeling Medusa or MLD, both of which would suck.
Reply 2
Hmm maybe try to remember the plot of each poem and that should help you figure out what to compare the given Poem by easily. Try to structure your essay so that you have 3 clear points, 2 similarities and 1 difference. Aim for a short intro and conclusion :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Summerlight
Any tips or anyone doing character and voice in the poetry exam Friday??

Quick intro
Form (just think of one point, this is the time to be 'perceptive' and 'imaginative')
Structure
Themes (just PEE for this, no developing needed really)
Language (biggest section, develop every point!)
Quick conclusion

This essay structure is the way to go to get all of the marks, got me A*s in every poetry mock I've done!
Reply 4
Original post by jamestg
Quick intro
Form (just think of one point, this is the time to be 'perceptive' and 'imaginative':wink:
Structure
Quick conclusion

This essay structure is the way to go to get all of the marks, got me A*s in every poetry mock I've done!

So 1 paragraph for each of those, comparing both poems in the same paragraph?
One of my friends told me that her teacher said that Give and Brendon Gallacher are 'foundation' poems so they wouldn't come up? Is there a way of knowing what poems are higher and which are foundation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by jamestg
Quick intro
Form (just think of one point, this is the time to be 'perceptive' and 'imaginative')
Structure
Quick conclusion

Ok Thankyou do you have any tips on what revision to do now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LuLu<3
One of my friends told me that her teacher said that Give and Brendon Gallacher are 'foundation' poems so they wouldn't come up? Is there a way of knowing what poems are higher and which are foundation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No...They just haven't come up yet on a higher paper, there aren't specified higher and foundation poems. The Ruined Maid hasn't come up yet either.
Original post by CompyNerd
No...They just haven't come up yet on a higher paper, there aren't specified higher and foundation poems. The Ruined Maid hasn't come up yet either.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432220102.632298.jpg I found this saying that Give, Brendon and Ruined Maid will NEVER come up in H Tier papers, not sure how reliable it is though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LuLu<3
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432220102.632298.jpg I found this saying that Give, Brendon and Ruined Maid will NEVER come up in H Tier papers, not sure how reliable it is though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, I see. Our teacher was going over them today in prep for tomorrow saying they've yet to come up so we should be prepared.
Original post by CompyNerd
Ah, I see. Our teacher was going over them today in prep for tomorrow saying they've yet to come up so we should be prepared.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432222732.145780.jpg Just found that from this year any of the 15 poems can come up, it will probably be one of the three that haven't come up then

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vd12345
So 1 paragraph for each of those, comparing both poems in the same paragraph?

YES! Compare in each paragraph!
Original post by Summerlight
Ok Thankyou do you have any tips on what revision to do now

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just re-read the poems, annotate them, watch some videos, read the examiner reports, look at the mark scheme.

Then practice both the first part and then the unseen poem. The unseen poem will pretty much determine your grade.
Hello

I am doing character and voice,

and just had a question about the poem Singh Song:

Why is the bride on a dating website, when she is just married?
Original post by Hot&Spicy
Hello

I am doing character and voice,

and just had a question about the poem Singh Song:

Why is the bride on a dating website, when she is just married?

She actually runs the dating website :tongue: Daljit Nagra said himself
She isn't really on a dating website, it's his imagination, since he hates working in the shop and just wants to spend time with his new wife. He imagines this because he knows she is on the computer but doesn't know what she is doing so imagines the worst.
I that's how my teacher explained it to us.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Do people think it is a good idea to focus on those three poems and pick three others for the best comparisons- or is that a little too foolish?
Original post by LuLu<3

Posted from TSR Mobile

give, the ruined maid and Brendon Gallagher are the foundation poems. I don't think they will come up on the higher paper but I would look over them just in case
As of last year, every single of the 12 higher poems has come up, which makes me think they're probably not going to follow any pattern and anything could come up? the only ones I'm certain won't are portrait of a deaf man and Les grands seigneurs as they came up last year
Original post by B1g Al
Do people think it is a good idea to focus on those three poems and pick three others for the best comparisons- or is that a little too foolish?

pick one poem to compare it too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending