The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature Poetry Exam - Character and Voice

English Lit
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by isabellexbelle
I haven't seen much about this cluster of poems on posts, so just wondering has anyone got any predictions for the poems or themes that are likely to come up? Thank you :smile:

i have no idea as to what may come up however im also doing character voice!
Hey Babes!!!

I have no idea how to revise for this poetry exam on Friday, and im doing Character & Voice. Was just wondering if you had a ny tips, etc. Cheers babes!!!
Original post by isabellexbelle
I haven't seen much about this cluster of poems on posts, so just wondering has anyone got any predictions for the poems or themes that are likely to come up? Thank you :smile:

I'm hoping for Medusa or River God, and my Engliah teacher thinks it will either be My Last Duchess, Medusa, or Casehistory. Im absolutely screwed if it's Singh Song or Horse Whisperer though :s-smilie:
I'm praaaaying it's medusa!! My teacher think it will be the hunchback in the park, medusa or checking out me history. I'm going to cry if it's my last duchess, absolutely HATE that one
Reply 5
The only three poems that havent come up yet are brendon gallacher, give and the ruined maid
Reply 6
In thepast three years, only 5 poems havent come up yet which are:

Medusa
Brendon Gallacher
Give
My Last Duchess
The Ruined Maid

But it's possible that they may repeat?
Original post by missaxo
I'm praaaaying it's medusa!! My teacher think it will be the hunchback in the park, medusa or checking out me history. I'm going to cry if it's my last duchess, absolutely HATE that one

I love My Last Duchess but I have nothing to write about hunchback
Original post by catherinexxx

Do you know how many paragraphs we need to write?
Original post by missaxo
Do you know how many paragraphs we need to write?
for my mock I wrote a page and a half and got an A* but my teacher said if you write a lot about a little they will assume you can do that about everything
Reply 10
In the exam, if the question specifically says something like "How does the author use language to show ...." would commenting on the poetic techniques be useless? Do we only need to focus on the language used e.g. certain words?
Original post by 150505
In the exam, if the question specifically says something like "How does the author use language to show ...." would commenting on the poetic techniques be useless? Do we only need to focus on the language used e.g. certain words?

I have read that they don't give any marks based on your understanding of poetic devices, but I think if you picked out a word you may as well state a device used, if you can think of one, in order to say how they used that word to show meaning or an idea.
Reply 12

Are the any points you could share about MLD please?
Original post by 150505

Its always just how does the poet show ...
Reply 14
Original post by Meganpizza
I have read that they don't give any marks based on your understanding of poetic devices, but I think if you picked out a word you may as well state a device used, if you can think of one, in order to say how they used that word to show meaning or an idea.

Ah okay thanks 😊
Original post by 150505

'' and her looks went everywhere.'' - you can say that her eyes are everywhere (flirtatiousness) or is she just shy and embarrassed by attention.
Original post by 150505

Dramatic monologue- Victorian women were voiceless
one way conversation allows us to identify the speaker

painting curtain- able to eventually feel he is controlling her
smiles only for him

Sir- formal
superior
condensending
Dramatic monologue- Victorian women were voiceless
one way conversation allows us to identify the speaker

painting curtain- able to eventually feel he is controlling her
smiles only for him

Sir- formal
superior
condensending

can you say that rhyming couplets are told through persona of the Duke
Original post by _.UNKNOWN._
can you say that rhyming couplets are told through persona of the Duke

I guess
The control of the rhyme scheme shows the tight control the Duke wants of the Duchess
I guess
The control of the rhyme scheme shows the tight control the Duke wants of the Duchess

okay thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending