The Student Room Group

Official Edexcel S3 thread Wednesday 20 May 2015 Morning [6691]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by V0ldemort17
Dear Sir/Madam,

This is a complaint about the level of difficulty of the S3 exam taken on Wednesday 20th May, AM.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't call it a "complaint". I'd just write "This email regards the S3 exam etc.." or "I am writing in regard to the S3 exam" or something
I've written them an email now, hope they take action on it!! This some bul****t

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chughes17
Almost all questions had an element which was extremely difficult in comparison to any S3 question before, and they were all in ONE paper. Especially 5d, for many self teaching further maths modules with only the textbook as a resource, it would've been near enough impossible. I certainly wasnt shown anything at all like it in the textbook..

Posted from TSR Mobile

I also self teach from the textbook and although its not in the textbook explicitly, 5d) was definitely doable. Edexcel have started throwing in questions like these (D1 last year) and im guessing they use it as a discriminator. Writing a complaint to Edexcel will be all but fruitless, they will see how hard the paper was when its all been marked, and the grade boundaries (if need be) will be adjusted accordingly
Everyone email! Otherwise they may think it was a stupid cohort, but it was a super hard paper. They need us to let them know, as at the time of writing the paper, they clearly wouldn't have realised this.
Original post by Gome44
I also self teach from the textbook and although its not in the textbook explicitly, 5d) was definitely doable. Edexcel have started throwing in questions like these (D1 last year) and im guessing they use it as a discriminator. Writing a complaint to Edexcel will be all but fruitless, they will see how hard the paper was when its all been marked, and the grade boundaries (if need be) will be adjusted accordingly

In which case, well done to you, a better statistician than I am. However, I still feel it wasn't entirely fair, even if it was 'doable'.
For the sake of 5 minutes writing an email, I think I'll go for it thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dear Sir/Madam,

This is a complaint about the level of difficulty of the S3 exam taken on Wednesday 20th May, AM.

Having been more than sufficiently prepared (if I say so myself) by doing every past paper from 2005 onwards as well as all the Solomon's and even two IAL papers, I felt that the S3 paper I took yesterday was completely out of the water in terms of relative difficulty.

It is unfair that so many oddly worded and very difficult questions were all in the same paper. Under timed conditions, I felt as though every question I did knocked me back and hence affected the consecutive question. Whilst I understand that grade inflation does take place and difficulty must be increased year on year, I felt this paper went too far. I achieved 96% in my Mock for Statistics 3 but felt that the paper I took yesterday would have given me around 60%.

This is incredibly unfair. I may not make my University place to study Mathematics because of this one module.

I hence invite you to consider my complaint carefully and seriously and hope you take this response into account when deciding grade boundaries.

Edexcel stands for changing lives through advancing learning, but I fear that this time the changing lives will occur through harsher mediums and for the worse of the welfare of students.

Yours Sincerely,

I sent an email too, fingers crossed guys

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dear Sir/Madam,This e-mail concerns the S3 Edexcel exam on the 20th of May 2015.Whilst sitting this exam, I was under the impression that significantly more thought was required in the same period of time as previous S3 papers (including international papers) that did not require such a degree of thought to answer the majority of questions. Whilst I understand the educational value of exams that require such thought, using past Edexcel materials and the Official Pearson S3 textbook, I was not trained to complete such an exam in 1 hour 30. I understand that you may be very busy, but I hope that you may have the time to read my e-mail, and to consider what it entails

This is my e-mail, I feel it's better to go on that path, than to talk about the exam being "unfair", this, in my opinion, is the only valid argument against this exam.
Reply 766
Original post by Gome44

You are not really representative of the population doing s3 imo.
Original post by xKay
You are not really representative of the population doing s3 imo.

Bit of a dick

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 768
Original post by Mutleybm1996

What?
In which case, well done to you, a better statistician than I am. However, I still feel it wasn't entirely fair, even if it was 'doable'.
For the sake of 5 minutes writing an email, I think I'll go for it thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its on the spec, therefore its fair game. Probably going to get a lot of hate for this, but I'm guessing people are complaining because they actually had to think rather than being spoon-fed answers
Original post by TabulaSmaragdina
Dear Sir/Madam,This e-mail concerns the S3 Edexcel exam on the 20th of May 2015.Whilst sitting this exam, I was under the impression that significantly more thought was required in the same period of time as previous S3 papers (including international papers) that did not require such a degree of thought to answer the majority of questions. Whilst I understand the educational value of exams that require such thought, using past Edexcel materials and the Official Pearson S3 textbook, I was not trained to complete such an exam in 1 hour 30. I understand that you may be very busy, but I hope that you may have the time to read my e-mail, and to consider what it entails

This is my e-mail, I feel it's better to go on that path, than to talk about the exam being "unfair", this, in my opinion, is the only valid argument against this exam.

No need for all this rubbish about "I understand the educational value" and "I understand that you may be very busy". If everyone writes such a long-winded email they wiill ignore them! Just say directly that you sat the paper this year, found it to be much much harder than usual, despite strong preparation and having done all the past papers etc, and am writing so that this can be taken into account with the grade boundaries.
Original post by Gome44
Its on the spec, therefore its fair game. Probably going to get a lot of hate for this, but I'm guessing people are complaining because they actually had to think rather than being spoon-fed answers

I partially agree. I think the annoyance though is not over the difficulty per se, but the unexpected difficulty. I'm fine with a super hard S3 paper, if it occurs every year and I can prepare and practise for it. But, a hugely different difficulty is not really fair game IMO.
Original post by tggfootymad
I partially agree. I think the annoyance though is not over the difficulty per se, but the unexpected difficulty. I'm fine with a super hard S3 paper, if it occurs every year and I can prepare and practise for it. But, a hugely different difficulty is not really fair game IMO.

This. The emails are mainly to communicate how difficult it actually was !comparatively!, nobody's trying to formulate a winding up petition for edexcel or anything of the sort lmao.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes exactly. I'm extremely offended when people say 'you didn't what to think' because I have an offer from Oxford to study Maths and I love hard papers, the challenge excites me but springing a randomly hard paper under timed conditions with no sufficient practise materials to prepare for it seems really unfair. At the end of the day, we have university offers to meet so papers like these really do affect our lives.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If a significant number do email in, though, whatever people's opinions, it will make a difference. They would have to consider it seriously and would probably be pleased to be notified about the general feeling of the difficulty of the paper, which clearly they didn't anticipate when writing it originally.
Yes exactly. I'm extremely offended when people say 'you didn't what to think' because I have an offer from Oxford to study Maths and I love hard papers, the challenge excites me but springing a randomly hard paper under timed conditions with no sufficient practise materials to prepare for it seems really unfair. At the end of the day, we have university offers to meet so papers like these really do affect our lives.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly, exactly. I mean, they could REALLY make us think, by putting all S4 questions in there instead! But, of course, that wouldn't be fair.
This. The emails are mainly to communicate how difficult it actually was !comparatively!, nobody's trying to formulate a winding up petition for edexcel or anything of the sort lmao.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, obviously. If lots email in about the relative difficulty, that's a good idea. I was responding to someone who thought it was fair to have an unexpectedly difficult paper, which I don't think it is. We're at cross purposes here...
Exactly, exactly. I mean, they could REALLY make us think, by putting all S4 questions in there instead! But, of course, that wouldn't be fair.

Could stick a prove s^2 is an unbiased estimator of sigma^2 into S1, as you have everything taught that you need in the S1 textbook (Var=Ex^2-(Ex)^2), i mean all you have to do it think about it properly really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 779
Please urge others who did s3 to write emails too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending