The Student Room Group

How Many AS Module Resits? Medicine?

Hey guys,

I'm looking to resit a couple of my AS modules next year alongside sitting my A2 modules for the first time. My A level overall will be completed within 2 years, however do some med schools still look negatively on module resits, irrespective of the time frame? Also, how many is 'too many', or does that threshold not exist/only apply to certain universities?

I acknowledge that there's a page on TSR detailing different expectations of universities regarding medicine and resits, however a lot of them discuss resit post year 13. Also, despite some universities saying that they do not mind resits as long as they're within 2 years, how close to the truth is this?

Thanks a lot for your assistance!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alzimondo
Hey guys,

I'm looking to resit a couple of my AS modules next year alongside sitting my A2 modules for the first time. My A level overall will be completed within 2 years, however do some med schools still look negatively on module resits, irrespective of the time frame? Also, how many is 'too many', or does that threshold not exist/only apply to certain universities?

I acknowledge that there's a page on TSR detailing different expectations of universities regarding medicine and resits, however a lot of them discuss resit post year 13. Also, despite some universities saying that they do not mind resits as long as they're within 2 years, how close to the truth is this?

Thanks a lot for your assistance!

The wiki is created by the same people who are likely to answer your thread.

If a university will not consider AS resits in yr 13 then they will normally say so explicitly on their website (and if you're not sure then email them and get the answer straight from them). Universities do everything they can to reduce applications from people they're likely to reject.

Lastly - if someone posts in here saying that no university will consider you if you do in-year resits how would that change your behaviour? Would you not take the resits and make it more difficult to get the grades you need? Or would you abandon your plans to apply for medicine? Or would you carry on and just do thorough research of the med schools you plan to apply for?
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
The wiki is created by the same people who are likely to answer your thread.

If a university will not consider AS resits in yr 13 then they will normally say so explicitly on their website (and if you're not sure then email them and get the answer straight from them). Universities do everything they can to reduce applications from people they're likely to reject.

Lastly - if someone posts in here saying that no university will consider you if you do in-year resits how would that change your behaviour? Would you not take the resits and make it more difficult to get the grades you need? Or would you abandon your plans to apply for medicine? Or would you carry on and just do thorough research of the med schools you plan to apply for?

I already acknowledge that there are med unis who will take on those with AS module resits, as they specifically state that they 'accept' students who have completed their A levels within 2 years.

However, I was just wondering as to the degree of potential disdain the admissions' system would have towards somebody that had resat AS modules, or if that disdain is even there?

However, thanks for your suggestion; I'll try emailing a few prospect universities shortly and see what they have to say on the matter.
Reply 3
I retook alot of my AS in year 13 and got all interviews, as far as I know Newcastle and Durham are the only ones that dont allow it (maybe oxbridge aswell).
Reply 4
Original post by Rishy
I retook alot of my AS in year 13 and got all interviews, as far as I know Newcastle and Durham are the only ones that dont allow it (maybe oxbridge aswell).

How many AS exams did you resit? Did you end up getting any offers, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks for your help, I reckon at this rate, I'll be resitting 3-5 of my AS modules haha
How many AS exams did you resit? Did you end up getting any offers, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks for your help, I reckon at this rate, I'll be resitting 3-5 of my AS modules haha

Surely the problem might be your predicted grades? If unis see grade Bs (or lower) at AS then offers are less likely.
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
Surely the problem might be your predicted grades? If unis see grade Bs (or lower) at AS then offers are less likely.

Indeed, that would be a problem if I were to apply this year, however my plan is it just apply upon receiving my A2 grades, thus discarding the need to base my application off of any predicted grades. I'd then take a gap year during the application process for 2017 entry, as opposed to 2016 entry.
Indeed, that would be a problem if I were to apply this year, however my plan is it just apply upon receiving my A2 grades, thus discarding the need to base my application off of any predicted grades. I'd then take a gap year during the application process for 2017 entry, as opposed to 2016 entry.

So how will they know about resits anyway? Post-results entry is different and you needed to state this in your original post!
Reply 8
So how will they know about resits anyway? Post-results entry is different and you needed to state this in your original post!

The point of resitting my AS exams is to make sure my A2 grades are high enough to apply post-results, as if I get ABBB for example this year at AS, I might miss out on getting the standard AAA offer at A2 for most medical schools.

In any case, as you said, applying this year probably wouldn't work anyway (if my AS grades are what I think they'll be), leaving my only option to apply post-results.
The point of resitting my AS exams is to make sure my A2 grades are high enough to apply post-results, as if I get ABBB for example this year at AS, I might miss out on getting the standard AAA offer at A2 for most medical schools.

In any case, as you said, applying this year probably wouldn't work anyway (if my AS grades are what I think they'll be), leaving my only option to apply post-results.

My point is that they won't know you've done resits if you apply post A level results.
Reply 10
My point is that they won't know you've done resits if you apply post A level results.

Really? I thought I would have to declare all of my unit grades on my UCAS form, for both this year's AS and my AS resit, since my college would cash in my grades this year, wouldn't they?
Really? I thought I would have to declare all of my unit grades on my UCAS form, for both this year's AS and my AS resit, since my college would cash in my grades this year, wouldn't they?

You don't need to give module grades and if you apply post A level then you don't need to declare AS grades for subject you have taken to A2.
Reply 12

Retook like 5-6, yeah I got 1 offer from manchester. Just get good A levels
Reply 13
You don't need to give module grades and if you apply post A level then you don't need to declare AS grades for subject you have taken to A2.

But that means they'll still see my overall AS grades, even if I applied post-results? Thus, won't they see both my AS resits and old AS grades, or do I only have to declare my newest AS grades? (I feel like not declaring both would be deceitful).

Sorry for the repeated questions, I'm not too familiar with the whole UCAS application thing as a year 12 student, I'm just trying to think ahead of time in regards to applying.

Thanks!
But that means they'll still see my overall AS grades, even if I applied post-results? Thus, won't they see both my AS resits and old AS grades, or do I only have to declare my newest AS grades? (I feel like not declaring both would be deceitful).

Sorry for the repeated questions, I'm not too familiar with the whole UCAS application thing as a year 12 student, I'm just trying to think ahead of time in regards to applying.

Thanks!

Check with school but from what I remember you give A2 results and AS results of the subject not carried forward.

Thanks!

You do have to declare all certified AS levels. If you get recertified results then you have to declare both sets of grades.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1744719
http://ucasonline.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/entering-levels-and-as-levels-on-your.html?m=1
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by PQ
You do have to declare all certified AS levels. If you get recertified results then you have to declare both sets of grades.

An AS carried forward will be included with resits in the A level grade and not re-cashed as another AS grade.
An AS carried forward will be included with resits in the A level grade and not re-cashed as another AS grade.

In most cases yes. But the original AS grade is a certified qualification and will need to be declared.
Original post by PQ
In most cases yes. But the original AS grade is a certified qualification and will need to be declared.

My point was it won't be obvious that there's been a module resit and an AS grade B will be trumped by an A level grade A/A*.
No uni is going to assume a resit or reject on the basis of lower AS.
My point was it won't be obvious that there's been a module resit and an AS grade B will be trumped by an A level grade A/A*.
No uni is going to assume a resit or reject on the basis of lower AS.

Any applicant not declaring module grades for a subject like medicine is suspicious.

If a university states they don't accept applicants with resit modules then they'll be interested in that information. If a university isn't bothered about resits then they wont care either way.

Trying to work the system doesn't benefit anyone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending