The Student Room Group

WJEC English Literature GCSE 18th and 22nd May.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Asad_2015
Wat wud u say for him?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe say something about the line "Y'know the devil's got your number" And talk about how the narrator is suggesting the mother's will be cursed for their unnatural agreement?
Original post by lauzy00
I'm doing Heroes and An Inspector Calls tomorrow, any predictions for character/theme?

Heroes Im banking On Nicole or Francis as Larry came up last year

For Inspector Calls I hopes its either shelia or sybil because those are the only ones that I've done.

What are your predictions?
Original post by aee327
I think its likely to be Marco/Beatrice

WHY CAN I NOT FIND ANYONE WHO'S DOING ACC?
It's stressing me out so much wow. PREDICTIONS FOR A CHRISTMAS CAROL PLEASE?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MMMoody199
WHY CAN I NOT FIND ANYONE WHO'S DOING ACC?
It's stressing me out so much wow. PREDICTIONS FOR A CHRISTMAS CAROL PLEASE?

Posted from TSR Mobile

YES SOMEONE ELSE IS DOING ACC AND IM SORRY I HAVE NO CLUE FGS - teacher said maybe children/childhood or redemption
Reply 824
Original post by aee327
I think its likely to be Marco/Beatrice

Thanks, hope it is Marco then. I wouldn't mind a theme question such as law and justice. I've heard that could be a possibility too.
Original post by muonfrisbee98
Are you 100% sure that you're doing WJEC? :smile:

At my school we've already done our unseen poetry. Ours was quite hard and like you, we weren't given any hints as to what the poem would be about. But the examiner's are looking to award marks anywhere they can so any ideas you have about the poem write them. Even if you think they're stupid just write them because you'll get marks for original ideas etc.
Reply 826
Original post by Samyak!
YES SOMEONE ELSE IS DOING ACC AND IM SORRY I HAVE NO CLUE FGS - teacher said maybe children/childhood or redemption

It is likely that a minor character could come up for the essay question. This could be Belle. You could then discreetly include the theme of class and how she 'released' Scrooge as he 'replaced her with a golden idol' You could also talk about how she is happy with her family when Scrooge sees her with the Ghost of Christmas past laughing near a homely fire, showing how he might regret becoming a misanthropist
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 827
NO ONE IS REPLYING TO THE PREDICTION FOR INSPECTOR CALLS AND HEROES
HELPPPPPP!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im really stressing about this exam.

Doing LOTF and AVFTB

I kind of have Jack and Simon down but none of the other characters

For AVFTB I've done marco as he hasn't come up yet and im doing some work on Beatrice + Eddie just in case...

Any tips, advice or/and help anyone can give me for tommorw? Would be really appriciated thanks
Original post by SO597
It is likely that a minor character could come up for the essay question. This could be Belle. You could then discreetly include the theme of class and how she 'released' Scrooge as he 'replaced her with a golden idol' You could also talk about how she is happy with her family when Scrooge sees her with the Ghost of Christmas past laughing near a homely fire, showing how he might regret becoming a misanthropist

See the thing is right Scrooge has come up EVERY YEAR and the likelihood of him is like 90% but through another character's interpretation - so idk what theme could come up and I'd prefer that honestly
Apparently the most likely for AIC is Birling - or at least I hope. Surely heroes will be between Larry Nicole and Francis as there is not much to say about the others. The ones that screw me up at the extract mood and atmosphere ones!
Original post by Samyak!
See the thing is right Scrooge has come up EVERY YEAR and the likelihood of him is like 90% but through another character's interpretation - so idk what theme could come up and I'd prefer that honestly

The essay could be on the Cratchit family, poverty, redemption, Scrooge's relationships with other characters, the four ghosts (including Marley) and their effect on Scrooge, anything. The amount of possibilities is the thing that's most stressing me out
What are your predictions for Blood Brothers? Pleeaseee
Reply 833
Original post by aee327
Beatrice is an ordinary loving woman who demonstrates traditional Italian values
The home is her domain and the table cloth is her desire
She does her best to intervene in the tragedy
"Well then be an uncle then"- Talk about how she's very vociferous, she has a habit of laying out the truth
idk anymore, im pretty much doomed for tomorrow

For this you could also bring in the relationship between her and Eddie, and how she repeats 'I don't understand you' suggesting their relationship is quite distant. However be sure to respond to the question and not drift off into other themes/ topics
Original post by Emily139
-He tells the reader at the very beginning of Act 1 about the death of Mickey and Edward and then throughout the play he is used as a constant reminder of their fate

-He is portrayed as wearing a black suit which shows he doesn't have a personality, whereas Mickey is shown to be wearing ragged clothing. The fact that he's wearing a black suit gives him a neutral, anonymous image but could also show he is going to a funeral (possibly foreshadowing Mickey and Edward's death)

-He is in nearly every scene, either as the Narrator or as another person like the bus conductor or Edward's teacher. It could show that he is the devil that the song "the devil's got your number" is referring to, where he is watching over Edward and Mickey to make sure they don't discover they're brothers

He emphasises themes within the play like superstition within the song "shoes upon the table", which could possibly mean he is used to taunt the other characters and scare them

This is really helpful but as it doesnt say in book he wears a black suit surely that's only to do with the theatre version of it
Reply 835
For inspector calls-Mrs Birling
Heroes-Nicole Remard
what are ur thoughts

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone doing about a boy if you are what questions do you think will come and an inspector calls
Original post by Beastboy
Anyone doing about a boy if you are what questions do you think will come and an inspector calls

I reckon something on Will and maybe bullying/friendship/parenting for a themes question. As for AIC, perhaps Sheila or Mrs Birling? And theme of women in society?
Original post by sophiee_thomas
This is really helpful but as it doesnt say in book he wears a black suit surely that's only to do with the theatre version of it

The book was used for the theatre version of it so I'm sure you could mention him wearing a black suit, but if not then you could still write about how the narrator's appearance isn't actually given in the book, which would show that he is an anonymous character where the reader doesn't learn much about him
Original post by Emily139
-He tells the reader at the very beginning of Act 1 about the death of Mickey and Edward and then throughout the play he is used as a constant reminder of their fate

-He is portrayed as wearing a black suit which shows he doesn't have a personality, whereas Mickey is shown to be wearing ragged clothing. The fact that he's wearing a black suit gives him a neutral, anonymous image but could also show he is going to a funeral (possibly foreshadowing Mickey and Edward's death)

-He is in nearly every scene, either as the Narrator or as another person like the bus conductor or Edward's teacher. It could show that he is the devil that the song "the devil's got your number" is referring to, where he is watching over Edward and Mickey to make sure they don't discover they're brothers

He emphasises themes within the play like superstition within the song "shoes upon the table", which could possibly mean he is used to taunt the other characters and scare them

Thank you x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply