The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry- helping each other out!

Scroll to see replies

can I see the actual question
What are the 2 equations when chlorine reacts with sodium hydroxide to make bleach?
Original post by shakeyboy
Screenshot 2015-05-21 at 18.45.44.png how do you work out the mass number?!?!

((121.3 * 100 ) - ( 60*121)) / 40 = 123

Btw, I ABSOLUTELY love your handwriting!

Posted from TSR Mobile
if anyone need last years jan and june 2014 IAL paper for edexcel send me a message of ur email i ll send it to you as you know tommorw we are doing the R paper as it is roughly the same hardness as international paper
Original post by shakeyboy
Thank You!

its abundance and m/e mass do you remember
Original post by xMillnsy
What are the 2 equations when chlorine reacts with sodium hydroxide to make bleach?

2NaOH(aq) + Cl2(g) --> NaOCl(aq) + NaCl(aq) + H2O(l) ...keep in mind that the actual reaction is between OH- and chlorine gas. The sodium ion is a spectator ion. 2OH- + Cl2 --> Cl- + OCl- + H2O
It involves the disproportionation of chlorine to form chlorine with two different oxidation numbers, -1 in Cl- and +1 in OCl-.
Original post by samwillettsxxx
Yes they do. If it's a positive ion take however many electrons off the config that is the charge
If it's a negative ion add on however many electrons the charge is?

yes you are right
Original post by Joshthemathmo
1. Electrons are being paired in the np orbital for the group 6 element which causes electron pair repulsion such that the ionisation energy is lower due to a lower attraction. Group 5 has no repulsion

2. Group 3 has an electron occupying the np orbital which is higher in energy than the ns orbital so is easier to remove. Lower IE than grp 2

Thank you I just wanted to get the right wording, good luck :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Shadowfire123
can I see the actual question

Sample of relative atomic mass mass 121.8 was passed through mass spectrometer
It consisted of 60% of 121 and another isotope
What is the mass of the other one
Along that line

Posted from TSR Mobile
2NaOH(aq) + Cl2(g) --> NaOCl(aq) + NaCl(aq) + H2O(l) ...keep in mind that the actual reaction is between OH- and chlorine gas. The sodium ion is a spectator ion. 2OH- + Cl2 --> Cl- + OCl- + H2O
It involves the disproportionation of chlorine to form chlorine with two different oxidation numbers, -1 in Cl- and +1 in OCl-.

Is this the reaction where the NaOH is cold or hot?
Original post by Anon_98
Btw, I ABSOLUTELY love your handwriting!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahaha thank you :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Sample of relative atomic mass mass 121.8 was passed through mass spectrometer
It consisted of 60% of 121 and another isotope
What is the mass of the other one
Along that line

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks its actually a good question never seen like this thanks for your help really appreciated I know I had to do something like wat u did

also why did you do 100-60 is it for the step
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by xMillnsy
Is this the reaction where the NaOH is cold or hot?

i dont think there is a difference
Hi guys is there a like specification for chemistry and does anyone know all the keywords we need to know i learnt all the ones my teacher said but not sure if he's gave us the whole key term list

hi i dont get ur explanation for q 11
thanks its actually a good question never seen like this thanks for your help really appreciated I know I had to do something like wat u did

also why did you do 100-60 is it for the step

You could just do 40 straight away but I wanted to show how I came up with 40 just in case the person asking didn't get it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kitty201322
Hi guys is there a like specification for chemistry and does anyone know all the keywords we need to know i learnt all the ones my teacher said but not sure if he's gave us the whole key term list

can you send a picture of the keyword because my teachers dont help us at all
Original post by C0balt
You could just do 40 straight away but I wanted to show how I came up with 40 just in case the person asking didn't get it

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks do you know what paper this is from
hi i dont get ur explanation for q 11

100cm3 is decomposed
Same number of moles will be present in 100cm3 of ammonia gas and 100cm3 of nitrogen under same condition
So it is now like just moles calculation with equation ratio. From ammonia and nitrogen are in 2:1 ratio from the coefficient of the equation, so you can now deduce the ""number of moles""=volume of nitrogen
Same for the hydrogen

Only 100cm3 decomposed so 400cm3 of ammonia still left
Add that to the products
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest