The Student Room Group
Liverpool John Moores University
Liverpool

Current LJMU student and rep - Ask me anything!

Hi everyone,

My name's Kerri, I'm studying International Journalism BA at LJMU and have just completed the first year.

Whether you know for definite where your going to study or are still unsure, feel free to ask me anything to do with the Journalism course, other courses, the University or Liverpool.

Here to help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Liverpool John Moores
Hi everyone,

My name's Kerri, I'm studying International Journalism BA at LJMU and have just completed the first year.

Whether you know for definite where your going to study or are still unsure, feel free to ask me anything to do with the Journalism course, other courses, the University or Liverpool.

Here to help!

Thank you, I have accepted my firm at LJMU. Im really stressed with accommodation though - I should have done it earlier.

I have a car so need a car park but the accommodation closest to I M Marsh campus doesn't have a car park. I have just been on the phone to accommodation for LJMU and they said that if I go to the ones with a car park now, it isn't popular with I M Marsh students.

Do you think this is a problem? Im worried ill be the odd one out.

Liverpool
Hi Nic,

I understand if you want your car with you (maybe you want to drive home regularly or use it for work?) but public transport is really worth considering, as it’s so easy and first year students are entitled to help towards travel costs to IM Marsh. I live in the Aigburth area where IM Marsh is based, buses to/from the city centre are frequent and it's about a 10-20 minute journey.

Also worth remembering that once you’re finished for the day and back at Halls, you definitely won’t need your car. Liverpool city centre is really compact and everything you could want is right on your doorstep, and walkable!

However if you’re set on bringing your car, I see that Cambridge Court has secure parking and is considered one of the closer halls to IM Marsh. It's also one of the more lively halls I'd say. After speaking to accommodation, which halls are you going to apply for?

I wouldn’t worry about being the odd one out either, you'll have the opportunity to meet people studying different subjects and this could be quite exciting! But it is also definitely an advantage living with people who will also be making the short commute to I M Marsh…which makes me think, if it were me, I would leave the car at home at least until Christmas, then perhaps you could investigate other city centre parking options if you can’t live without it!

What are you going to study by the way?

Kerri

Original post by ImNic97
Thank you, I have accepted my firm at LJMU. Im really stressed with accommodation though - I should have done it earlier.

I have a car so need a car park but the accommodation closest to I M Marsh campus doesn't have a car park. I have just been on the phone to accommodation for LJMU and they said that if I go to the ones with a car park now, it isn't popular with I M Marsh students.

Do you think this is a problem? Im worried ill be the odd one out.

Reply 3
Thank you for your advice:smile:
Yeah I do want my car so that I can go home at the weekend.

You've reassured me about not being the odd one out, I agree it will be interesting to meet new people all the time.

I am studying dance and im considering liberty Atlantic point,

thanks,

Nic
Reply 4
Have you heard anything good or bad about liberty atlantic point??
Hey again,

I asked people on my course about Liberty Atlantic Point for you, no one reported anything bad back to me. Someone who lives there now told me it was one of the more decent ones, clean, has a shop on site and 24 hour security.

Hope that helps : )

Original post by ImNic97
Have you heard anything good or bad about liberty atlantic point??
Reply 6
Hey again,

I asked people on my course about Liberty Atlantic Point for you, no one reported anything bad back to me. Someone who lives there now told me it was one of the more decent ones, clean, has a shop on site and 24 hour security.

Hope that helps : )

Thank you very much!! This reassures me a lot:smile:
Hi Kerri

Since I'm still classed as a 1st year student because I only did my first year part-time and haven't finished my lev. 4 Law yet, but technically a 2nd year.. I was advised by one of the lads working in accommodation at Grand Central to apply for role in LJMU called something like a 'Residential advisor/assistant' or something along those lines which involves putting time aside for helping out the rest of the first years with their course.

Is this what your role is Kerri? I'm thinking about going for this but not sure on the hourly rate or how many hours you're able to work a week as I really need something which is going to cover my cost of living since it's looking like my maintenance loan won't even cover the full cost of my accommodation and I'd rather not go into what I've saved up as I'm using that to pay the shortfall on whatever rent is left.

Would I be better off going for the standard 16 hrs/week part-time job at Primark or similar if I want money that I can spend on food/clothes/going out each week?

Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey Danny,

That's actually not what I do, though I have heard of the scheme where someone is an in house advisor in accommodation. I've got more information on this role which I'll inbox you.

I work in an office Mon-Fri evenings, 20 hours. It's pretty annoying for my social life but ultimately having a job whilst at uni allows me to pay rent, buy things I want and go on holiday! It also looks good on your CV later on when you apply for any graduate jobs.

LJMU use an agency called Workbank when they're looking for any kind of temps. It's worth keeping an eye on any jobs that come up on their site whilst your here.

Kerri

Original post by Dannyboyo
Hi Kerri

Since I'm still classed as a 1st year student because I only did my first year part-time and haven't finished my lev. 4 Law yet, but technically a 2nd year.. I was advised by one of the lads working in accommodation at Grand Central to apply for role in LJMU called something like a 'Residential advisor/assistant' or something along those lines which involves putting time aside for helping out the rest of the first years with their course.

Is this what your role is Kerri? I'm thinking about going for this but not sure on the hourly rate or how many hours you're able to work a week as I really need something which is going to cover my cost of living since it's looking like my maintenance loan won't even cover the full cost of my accommodation and I'd rather not go into what I've saved up as I'm using that to pay the shortfall on whatever rent is left.

Would I be better off going for the standard 16 hrs/week part-time job at Primark or similar if I want money that I can spend on food/clothes/going out each week?

Thanks
Reply 9
Anyone know what date results are out for final year ??? As graduation july and don't want to order incase of bad results
Hey,

I've just had a look on the 2014/2015 LJMU calendar online. Going off that I think that everything has to be marked by 3rd June and results notification day is 29th June, it says that this day "defines eligibility to attend graduation".

https://www.ljmu.ac.uk/students/before-you-arrive/calendars-and-timetables

Good Luck!

Kerri

Original post by tedster44
Anyone know what date results are out for final year ??? As graduation july and don't want to order incase of bad results
Hi Kerri

I'm moving from NI to complete my PGDE teacher training course in Sept. I'm looking to house share and possibly with others on a similar course and also possibly from Ireland.

Would u know the best way about this?

Thanks in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi Jellybean,

You've probably already seen a similar message I posted on here the other week about LJMU being able to place you in halls with other post grads/mature students. I'm sure you can also ask to be put with other Irish students or others on the same course (subject to other people who fit that description also choosing Halls).

Having said that, it's totally understandable that you wouldn't want to go into Halls. I think you actually will get a much better feel for the city by living in the more resididential areas, especially around Aigburth/Wavertree.

If you would prefer a house share, you can use Liverpool Student Homes http://www.liverpoolstudenthomes.org/Accommodation (owned by LJMU, Uni of Liverpool, Hope Uni and LIPA). If you contact them directly with your requirements they may be able to help you specifically with a search for other Irish students/people on the same course. I sent them an email on your behalf and they advised that you look on their messageboards for existing ads or post one yourself.

It might be a bit difficult to find a house share online specifically with other Irish students or others on your course (although there are lots of Irish students in Liverpool so in all likelihood you could well end up living in an Irish household). I say this because when I've had a look I haven't seen many where they have listed the current occupants.

If I was in your situation, I'd use the official Liverpool Student Homes as well as posting my own ad and looking through ads on places like gumtree/liverpool, student spare room (http://student.spareroom.co.uk/) and other similar student flatshare sites.

Also, the Liverpool Student Union has a mature student network page with a facebook group - http://www.liverpoolsu.com/groups/mature-student-network. May be worth posting on there?

Finding people on The Student Room would be ideal but I can see you haven't had much response from others on here. Maybe all the others on your course will flock to the forum later on!

Will you have the opportunity to come over and view any accommodation before you start?

Where possible try to just get a short let up until Christmas with the option of extending it, that way you have the option of moving on if you meet people on the course you'd rather live with for example.

Im also happy to take a look at any you've seen online and give my opinion of the area it's in etc.

Sorry about all the links! hope this helps,

Kerri

Original post by Jellybean26!
Hi Kerri

I'm moving from NI to complete my PGDE teacher training course in Sept. I'm looking to house share and possibly with others on a similar course and also possibly from Ireland.

Would u know the best way about this?

Thanks in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Hello. I have received an offer for adult nursing from Liverpool John Moores university for March 2016 and I have also received another offer for the same course from edge hill university for april 2016. I just want to ask how is the student life in ljmu. I am just trying to weigh the pros and cons of both universities to know which to put as my firm and insurance choice. Thanks.
Hi everyone,

Here to help!
Anyone can give me some advice about how prestigious are the marítime master degrees?also some advice about wheter is better to go to the students residence or to an apartment/studio?
Thanks in advance
Hey, well done on your offer...nursing is one of the most popular courses at John Moores, though Edge Hill is also well recognised for nursing so I can see the dilemma you might be having. Will you be moving away from home to study?

Is it the courses you want to compare or the actual social side of uni life? One of the big pros for LJMU and the nursing course is you'll be right in Liverpool city centre - where everything is within walking distance.

You'd also be guaranteed accommodation with other people on your course and the building you're taught in is right next to that accommodation.

At Edge Hill you'd be quite far from Liverpool action and living on a campus. As for the general feel at LJMU, I'd say it's a friendly and relaxed Uni. And with a course like nursing you'll meet a real mix of people from different ages and backgrounds.

Hope that helps and if it's something more specific you want to know I'll try my best to answer!

Kerri

Original post by sakura1
Hello. I have received an offer for adult nursing from Liverpool John Moores university for March 2016 and I have also received another offer for the same course from edge hill university for april 2016. I just want to ask how is the student life in ljmu. I am just trying to weigh the pros and cons of both universities to know which to put as my firm and insurance choice. Thanks.
Reply 16
Hi
My grand daughter has just today been offered a place a LJM's for Adult Nursing in March 2016, what accommodation will be the one on offer or could it vary as she is a March intake, many thanks
Hi,

Is there a particular maritime masters you're interested in?

You might have already read some of the info on this page:
https://www.ljmu.ac.uk/about-us/faculties/faculty-of-technology-and-environment/engineering-technology-and-maritime-operations but I think it gives an insight into the reputation of studying maritime in Liverpool. The city and its docks are steeped in history and the waterfront is a focal point of Liverpool.

With accommodation, it's down to your personal preference really, they tend to be a bit more expensive but you can get a self contained studio (your own kitchenette etc) or you could look for a house share? Most of the house shares would be just outside of town, it would be cheaper than student residence.

Alternatively, you can ask LJMU's accommodation team to place you in Halls with other post grads or mature students. I would take a look on Student Homes to see what they can offer: http://www.liverpoolstudenthomes.org/Accommodation.

Hope this helps,

Kerri

Original post by gibarra003
Anyone can give me some advice about how prestigious are the marítime master degrees?also some advice about wheter is better to go to the students residence or to an apartment/studio?
Thanks in advance
Hi, I just received an offer for nursing in the March intake and I'm nervous about accommodation and holidays as I'm from NI would I be able to leave has in sept to house share or do I have to stay their until the following March? And do my holidays differ from those starting in September?
Reply 19
If Liverpool is same as Newcastle where my other grand daughter is you have to sign a contract for your accommodation for the full 12 months if you wanted to leave in the September you either have to find someone to take over your place or pay the difference. As far as I know the hoildays differ slightly, your work placement will take you from end june/july then a four week break august and then back to placement for september into uni again end sept. Nursing has i think the longest term time of around 45 weeks. My other grand daughter has also just received an offer for March 2016 start at Liverpool

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending