The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry- helping each other out!

Scroll to see replies

Draw the shape of the NH2– ion, including any lone pairs of electrons.Name the shape made by the three atoms in the NH2– ion.

Please could someone show me a diagram of how to draw the above and explanation for the name of the shape.

- Thanks
Original post by Signorina
Thank you! Lol you're too good

No problem :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2882
Original post by Tha Realest
Draw the shape of the NH2– ion, including any lone pairs of electrons.Name the shape made by the three atoms in the NH2– ion.

Please could someone show me a diagram of how to draw the above and explanation for the name of the shape.

- Thanks

I dont know if its right but..

Linear-180? Colbalt should be able to clarify if I've got it wrong/not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2884
another question
proton-1.6725 x 10-24g
neutrons-1.6748 x 10-24g
electron-0.0009 x 10-24g
calculate the mass of this hydrogen atom and can someone explain how they got to there answer....PLEASE
Can someone tell me how to phrase the nuclear attraction mark when talking about IE energies of elements that will actually get the mark?

OCR Chemistry btw

Thanks
Original post by Anon_98

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Bent) shape showing 2 lone pairs + 2NH bond pairs; 1Bent / v shape/ triangular;

^ above is what mark scheme had
Original post by Tha Realest
(Bent) shape showing 2 lone pairs + 2NH bond pairs; 1Bent / v shape/ triangular;

^ above is what mark scheme had

Oh gosh, of course. I'm such an idiot lol.

Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone link the Official AS AQA Chem Unit 1 Thread for tomorrows exam?
Cheers :biggrin:
Original post by Anon_98

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was taking shower but yeah two lone pairs so similar to water
someone help on (e)(iv) how do you work it out!!!!
Original post by justfly

Sodium because alkali metals always have lowest first IE in their period because biggest radius in the period, smallest nuclear charge and shielding is the same across the period
Of the same group as you go down the group first ie decreases because bigger radius and more shielding
So yeah sodium
Original post by Anon_98
Oh gosh, of course. I'm such an idiot lol.

Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha no you're not an idiot.

Please could you draw it on paper + explain ms answer.
Original post by justfly

It would be aluminium, because as you go across a period, the atomic radius decreases, so 1st IE is higher. This means that the group 1 elements always have the smallest IE in their respective periods, so therefore the lowest 3rd IE would be the latest element with 3 electrons in its outer shell, which is aluminium.
Original post by C0balt
Sodium because alkali metals always have lowest first IE in their period because biggest radius in the period, smallest nuclear charge and shielding is the same across the period
Of the same group as you go down the group first ie decreases because bigger radius and more shielding
So yeah sodium

its Aluminium mate.
If I am struggling to realise that an molecular shape has lone pairs.. If I draw a dot and cross diagram that could help me work out if there is some right?
Original post by samwillettsxxx
If I am struggling to realise that an molecular shape has lone pairs.. If I draw a dot and cross diagram that could help me work out if there is some right?

Yes it would but there's easier ways to find out if you have lone pairs

Posted from TSR Mobile
okay serious help needed, does anyone by any chance have a list of all the key definitions and phrases etc. and their explanations. you would save my chemistry as, hopefully
Original post by samwillettsxxx

Yeah, if you're unsure as to how many bonded pairs or lone pairs there are, just draw a diagram. It might take a bit more time, but at least you can ensure marks.
Original post by C0balt
So yeah sodium

Go to sleep you're not reading the question properly lol. Which one has the lowest THIRD ionisation energy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest