The Student Room Group

I'm hoping to start an access course in September, can you help me?

Hi all!

I've appplied and am waiting on confirmation to start the Access to HE in Humanities and Social Studies. I have a few questions about the course if anyone can help me?

So these are the course modules I'm allowed to pick and I can chooose up to 3 subjects on my own:

Black History
English
Economics
Sociology
History
Contemporary Social Issues
Psychology

I want to go down the route of social work/ counselling at University, do you have an ideal subject pathway that I would be best to pick out of these?

I personally thought that studying English, Sociology and Psychology would give me a good all round base and show that I am capable of studying subjects not typically considered easy such as English. I'm also tempted by Economics as it would be useful to understand this more as a life skill in general.

Does anybody know what sort of things are likely to be covered in these three subjects, when I went in for the information day, they were very brief about the course content.

I'm really excited about going for this, but really scared as well so I want to be as prepared as I can be for what I'm undertaking. Any help I can get from my fellow mature students is greatly appreciated so thak you in advance!

Julian :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi,

I have taught on these type of courses -sociology and psychology. If you want to pursue a career in counselling social work I'd recommend sociology, Psychology and contemporary social issues.

Be aware that the assessment criteria is below A level and you will have to complete non social science modules such as study skills.

You will complete a portfolio, have essays and exams.

Also, be aware that no counselling psychology is likely to be taught on your course...well perhaps a tiny bit of psycho analysis mostly the more 'scientific' stuff like cognitive and behavioral psychology with a bit of biological psychology.
I'd assume that contemporary social issues is very likely a lot better than English for someone interested in social work. I'd definitely stick with sociology and psychology for the two other subjects.

Afaik what units get studied varies a lot depending on the college and the teacher. However, I've had to do stuff like social stratification, sociology and the family, social influence, biological psychology, abnormal psychology and so on.

You'll be assessed through essays, research reports, presentations, etc.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes seems like Kathy has done a mixture of as/a2 for sociology and the as aqa syllabus for psychology.

Best wishes with it!
Reply 4
Original post by risteard
Hi,

I have taught on these type of courses -sociology and psychology. If you want to pursue a career in counselling social work I'd recommend sociology, Psychology and contemporary social issues.

Be aware that the assessment criteria is below A level and you will have to complete non social science modules such as study skills.

You will complete a portfolio, have essays and exams.

Also, be aware that no counselling psychology is likely to be taught on your course...well perhaps a tiny bit of psycho analysis mostly the more 'scientific' stuff like cognitive and behavioral psychology with a bit of biological psychology.

Hey thanks for the replies, I just thought that Sociology and CSI together would be a waste? I would be able to cover a more diverse set of subjects and keep my options more open if I decide that I have a change of heart in as to what to study at degree level.
Original post by JPO92
Hey thanks for the replies, I just thought that Sociology and CSI together would be a waste? I would be able to cover a more diverse set of subjects and keep my options more open if I decide that I have a change of heart in as to what to study at degree level.

Economics is very interesting, relates to sociology a lot.

I wonder if the sociology teacher is teaching CSI to fill up their timetable/contracted hours lol. Not their fault, management of colleges these days, all paid time must be accounted for
Reply 6
Does anybody know when I'm likely to hear from the course with confirmation that I'm allowed to start the course?

I went to the information day and was asked to do a written exercise about why I wanted to study the course. I hope that hasn't affected my chances of getting in.

I just want to know what is going on so I can get things moving.
Reply 7
Original post by JPO92
Hi all!

I've appplied and am waiting on confirmation to start the Access to HE in Humanities and Social Studies. I have a few questions about the course if anyone can help me?

So these are the course modules I'm allowed to pick and I can chooose up to 3 subjects on my own:

Black History
English
Economics
Sociology
History
Contemporary Social Issues
Psychology

I want to go down the route of social work/ counselling at University, do you have an ideal subject pathway that I would be best to pick out of these?

I personally thought that studying English, Sociology and Psychology would give me a good all round base and show that I am capable of studying subjects not typically considered easy such as English. I'm also tempted by Economics as it would be useful to understand this more as a life skill in general.

Does anybody know what sort of things are likely to be covered in these three subjects, when I went in for the information day, they were very brief about the course content.

I'm really excited about going for this, but really scared as well so I want to be as prepared as I can be for what I'm undertaking. Any help I can get from my fellow mature students is greatly appreciated so thak you in advance!

Julian :smile:

Good afternoon,

You are right in th fact that it is important to keep options open. As part of being on the Access programme it can open up new worlds to you. English is one such example and a good option. Personally I feel It would be a good option to email the universities you are considering for social work and ask for advise on which modules they feel would suit. I would also advise you to see what else is out there other courses and interests and email those relating universities too with which modules they would require. It is best to do this now at this stage before it all feels abit too much and overwhelming at UCAS application stage. It is just as important to discount other potential opportunities as it is to research your current desired course. Take care. I can elaborate further if you wish.
Reply 8
Original post by Seiza
Good afternoon,

You are right in th fact that it is important to keep options open. As part of being on the Access programme it can open up new worlds to you. English is one such example and a good option. Personally I feel It would be a good option to email the universities you are considering for social work and ask for advise on which modules they feel would suit. I would also advise you to see what else is out there other courses and interests and email those relating universities too with which modules they would require. It is best to do this now at this stage before it all feels abit too much and overwhelming at UCAS application stage. It is just as important to discount other potential opportunities as it is to research your current desired course. Take care. I can elaborate further if you wish.

It's overwhelming now! So many factors to take into account choosing unis and courses, not to mention my background. I have 3 A Levels in Biology, Chemistry and Physics that I completely flunked (I got D,E,E). The Universities that I want to aim for would probably turn me down in a heartbeat considering my past.

I've worked and grown alot since then and my hope is that I would be able to tackle this with a more mature outlook. I really want to push myself this time and see just how well I can do. Plus I want to catch up to my little sister whos just started Uni at leeds and got 3 A's at A-Level, I can't let her have all the glory can I?! :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by JPO92
It's overwhelming now! So many factors to take into account choosing unis and courses, not to mention my background. I have 3 A Levels in Biology, Chemistry and Physics that I completely flunked (I got D,E,E). The Universities that I want to aim for would probably turn me down in a heartbeat considering my past.

I've worked and grown alot since then and my hope is that I would be able to tackle this with a more mature outlook. I really want to push myself this time and see just how well I can do. Plus I want to catch up to my little sister whos just started Uni at leeds and got 3 A's at A-Level, I can't let her have all the glory can I?! :biggrin:

Hello once again,

Ha, Very charming hearing about keeping up with your sister.

Yes you are right it is overwhelming at any stage. Try keep a clear mind though and explore what really interest and inspires you. I met many along my access course who just picked a university course because they felt almost pigeon holed into it or felt that the things they really dreams about where totally out of reach. Sorry to hear about your a level results. I never took those personally but got shockingly similar results at GCSE. Your past should not define you or your future aspirations. For me personally I was always so niave about university did not even know loans existed for it. So of course it was always out of reach until last year I found something I was passionate about and delved into this new world or a thing called UCAS and ACCESS courses. I have put a lot into my my access course this year and recieved offers from all of my universities I applied for. All of them russel group. So you can move forward and change your life even with poor academic background. So I urge you to keep dreaming and being inspired.
Is it Sheffield College by any chance? That sounds exactly like the course I am applying for and stage I am at. Went to the info day and wrote a small essay. Still waiting to hear back.
Reply 11
Original post by JimJimJim
Is it Sheffield College by any chance? That sounds exactly like the course I am applying for and stage I am at. Went to the info day and wrote a small essay. Still waiting to hear back.

Yes! It's Hillsborough College! I might have been in the information day with you.

I hope we find out soon, which date did you go in for the info and what time?
Yep Hillsborough.

Mine was 2 Mondays ago at 10.45. (I think, memory is hazy).

Glad I stumbled into this thread. Was worried other people may have heard something haha. I also didn't apply for any other colleges which was perhaps a bit stupid so I'm just anxious to hear back now.
Reply 13
Yep Hillsborough.

Mine was 2 Mondays ago at 10.45. (I think, memory is hazy).

Glad I stumbled into this thread. Was worried other people may have heard something haha. I also didn't apply for any other colleges which was perhaps a bit stupid so I'm just anxious to hear back now.

Mine was on Thursday 14th May at the same time. I wonder how many classes they are planning on taking on and had the info days for?

Makes me more anxious about hearing back now if there were alot of info days, I hope I've got a chance of doing the course.
Reply 14

Congratulations both of you. Sheffield looks like a great place to study.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest