The Student Room Group

AQA AS Human Biology HBIO1 - 21/05/15

I haven't seen a thread for AS Human Biology for a while, so here we go.

How are you feeling about it?

And any predictions on what might turn up for tomorrow's HBIO1 exam?

Thanks in advance!
Only a few people do it on TSR it seems. How did you find it???
Reply 2
Original post by beyknowles
Only a few people do it on TSR it seems. How did you find it???

Unfortunately, I didn't know what a vitamin was, but neither did the other 3 people who sat the paper with me. Other than that it was alright; doing past papers definitely helped!

What about you?
Original post by loinducoeur
Unfortunately, I didn't know what a vitamin was, but neither did the other 3 people who sat the paper with me. Other than that it was alright; doing past papers definitely helped!

What about you?

me neither!! i put 'a nutrient' and my friend put 'a micronutrient'. the percentage question threw me totally.

i only started proper revision yesterday so I can't moan if I don't do well. Gonna revise all week for unit 2 bc its my last exam so I can devote all my time to it, it's on my birthday haha maybe that's a good sign?

then I start A2 on the monday after :0 same as you I suppose?
Reply 4
me neither!! i put 'a nutrient' and my friend put 'a micronutrient'. the percentage question threw me totally.

i only started proper revision yesterday so I can't moan if I don't do well. Gonna revise all week for unit 2 bc its my last exam so I can devote all my time to it, it's on my birthday haha maybe that's a good sign?

then I start A2 on the monday after :0 same as you I suppose?

Yeah, I kind of revised last minute too. Unit 2 isn't my last exam, but I'll still revise, of course. Happy birthday for the day! That's like extra luck for your exam, haha.

I start A2 on Wednesday (that's when my lesson is). Are you going to carry on in Year 13?
How did you find it? Thought the first questions were nasty, and everything i spent ages revising - heart, lungs etc, none of it came up! :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by jess.91097
How did you find it? Thought the first questions were nasty, and everything i spent ages revising - heart, lungs etc, none of it came up! :frown:

Most of it was okay. And yeah, considering they're first questions, I didn't really get them. I think those group of cells were villi though?
I spent a while revising the heart too, and it's a shame it wasn't the 20 marker. I didn't mind the HIV questions; I'd revised that a lot.
Yeah, I kind of revised last minute too. Unit 2 isn't my last exam, but I'll still revise, of course. Happy birthday for the day! That's like extra luck for your exam, haha.

I start A2 on Wednesday (that's when my lesson is). Are you going to carry on in Year 13?

I only do 3 because I dropped Literature at the end of September, it was CHIANTE, so I have no choice hahaha

By the way do you speak French (going on your usename)?
Reply 8
I only do 3 because I dropped Literature at the end of September, it was CHIANTE, so I have no choice hahaha

By the way do you speak French (going on your usename)?

Would you have wanted to drop H.Bio?
Literature and French were in the same column at my school so I couldn't have done Lit. haha.
At least you have less hassle in dropping a subject for Year 13 (unless you want to drop another one).

Nope, but I take French A-Level, as I'm sure you know. My username name came from the French proverb(?), "loins des yeux, loin du coeur" which I really liked so yeah.
Would you have wanted to drop H.Bio?
Literature and French were in the same column at my school so I couldn't have done Lit. haha.
At least you have less hassle in dropping a subject for Year 13 (unless you want to drop another one).

Nope, but I take French A-Level, as I'm sure you know. My username name came from the French proverb(?), "loins des yeux, loin du coeur" which I really liked so yeah.

I would LOVE to have dropped French en fait

ah c cool sa
Reply 10
Why were the mitochondria different sizes?
Reply 11
What did people get for the calculation??
Original post by Paddye
Why were the mitochondria different sizes?

I think it was because it was a cross section, so when the person cut the cell, the mitochondria were also cut.

Original post by mibster
What did people get for the calculation??

I got 7.something% but I don't think I did it right, since at one point I got 92.something%
Reply 13
I think it was because it was a cross section, so when the person cut the cell, the mitochondria were also cut.

I got 7.something% but I don't think I did it right, since at one point I got 92.something%

Yeah I got like 80 something %!! what about the next question about the heart rate doubling and the amount of oxygen being four times more?
Original post by mibster
Yeah I got like 80 something %!! what about the next question about the heart rate doubling and the amount of oxygen being four times more?

I said it was because there are many coronary arteries branching from the aorta; but that isn't right. I answered all the questions, but I answered them wrong, hahaha.
Reply 15
The slice which was cut from the cell would have had the mitochondria at different angles, so they were cut at different angles, so the insides were different shapes. (If that makes any sense at all!)
Reply 16
Original post by mibster

I put something about inspiration increases. And more blood being pumped around the body (cardiac output increasing). Can't remember exactly, but it was something like this. Can't believe I forgot about the mitochondria cross-section; it's something I knew, but completely forgot.And the vitamin question - I was fuming at that as a first question, vitamins is something I'd dismissed going into much, because they'd barely come-up before in much detail. Only just struggled to scribble down an answer for one of the questions in the last 2-minutes, so just managed to answer all the questions.And stupidly answered an "explain" a graph (alpha 1 antitrypsin one) question as a "describe", which I fortunately noticed and had to re-write after much evaluating of the darn graph. If I hadn't done that, I would have been okay for time.

I think I did okay; but felt it's not my best performance, and just have to hope.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Oh, and I put "Elastin" instead of Elastase for the questions about CF!

Going to revise like mad for the next unit, no stone unturned this time - to make sure I still come-out with the best possible grade. Because I concentrated on questions that came-up on the exam regularly, and barely focused on things that had never come-up. Won't make that mistake this time!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending