The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 560
Original post by Renewhj
You don't need exact ums for Oxford, do you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They never see your UMS, no :smile:
Original post by dancarter
Be sure to check out Trinity, it's a beautiful college right in the middle of Oxford - more importantly for Classics, Gail Trimble is a super friendly tutor and really puts you at ease in your interview with her (I believe she always interviews the Literature one, the other interview being Philosophy and Ancient History)!

Good to know.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lau14
They never see your UMS, no :smile:

Safe:smile: cuz I think I failed to get full marks in core 2 and physics:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Swifty139
Unfortunatley I was stupid enough in Year 9 to stop doing Latin which I wholly regret so I don't have a GCSE in it. Then one of the Latin teachers left so a course couldn't be put on for A Level so I missed out again.

I realised this is a huge problem so I'm going to a Classics summer school to learn some Latin and read some classical literature and if I am chosen, i'll be doing a Classics related EPQ. Furthermore i'm considering learning Latin over the course of the next year before I start the course as long as the universities i'm applying for say it's a good enough idea or they would just prefer me to start from scratch.

As for languages, I find I prefer translations and grammar above actual verbal communication which is where I struggle most with French, so hopefully it will stand me in good stead to start learning a language such as Latin. I hated French before the end of year 11 and didn't really know how to string a sentence together. I revised really hard for the GCSE exam and ended up 1 mark off an A* and now i'm looking towards getting an A at AS Level, so I feel i've made a huge improvement in my proficiency through sheer dedication.

Hopefully I can get accepted onto a Classics course somewhere because i've put everything on the line for this decision when my family wanted me to do maths or physics. I wouldn't want to fail now.

You know if you tell that story I think it would go down really well. Generally if you could have studied Latin or Greek, but chose not to, it's a pretty bad sign about your commitment to the subject, but clearly you regret the decision, so it could work in your favour.

Which summer school are you thinking of? If you are near London the UCL/KCL course is superb, and they cater for all levels, I've been three times and am going again this year.

This year it is at UCL: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/classics/schools-and-colleges/summerschool

Then of course there is Bryanston, and I understand that there some in the North too.... But you better get your skates on they fill up and if you don't get on one there will be more commitment issues.

But, overall I think you should go for it if you really want it, it will be hard work - but at Oxford, everything is hard work.

Do as much prep as you can!

Good luck.
G D'G
GCSE grades: 1A, 10A*, 1A^
AS-Levels: Predicted AAAA for French, Geography, Maths, English Lit. Going to drop Geography for A2.
Course: French
College: Je ne sais pas :smile:
Original post by politicalmind
Who on here is from private/ public school - I am, just curious, as one is.

I'm private but only since starting Year 12 on an academic scholarship. Hopefully my GCSE grades will stand out from my peers at my last school!
Original post by Swifty139
Unfortunatley I was stupid enough in Year 9 to stop doing Latin which I wholly regret so I don't have a GCSE in it. Then one of the Latin teachers left so a course couldn't be put on for A Level so I missed out again.

I realised this is a huge problem so I'm going to a Classics summer school to learn some Latin and read some classical literature and if I am chosen, i'll be doing a Classics related EPQ. Furthermore i'm considering learning Latin over the course of the next year before I start the course as long as the universities i'm applying for say it's a good enough idea or they would just prefer me to start from scratch.

As for languages, I find I prefer translations and grammar above actual verbal communication which is where I struggle most with French, so hopefully it will stand me in good stead to start learning a language such as Latin. I hated French before the end of year 11 and didn't really know how to string a sentence together. I revised really hard for the GCSE exam and ended up 1 mark off an A* and now i'm looking towards getting an A at AS Level, so I feel i've made a huge improvement in my proficiency through sheer dedication.

Hopefully I can get accepted onto a Classics course somewhere because i've put everything on the line for this decision when my family wanted me to do maths or physics. I wouldn't want to fail now.

Am sure you already know that you don't need any prior knowledge of Latin to be accepted on the classics II courses. Of course demonstrating an interest and ability to learn the language will be important but no more so than showing a wider passion for the subject, especially as your French A-level should demonstrate the aptitude for learning languages.

However if you do get an offer then you'll be expected to gain a basic level of Latin before you start the course.

The courses run by JACT are what the university suggests to offer holders if they do this via a summer school. Alternatively you can self-study and the recommended book is “Latin. An Intensive Course” by Moreland/ Fleischer, University of California Press.

Good luck!
Original post by Gerald DGrilla
Wow, I think I would be really nervous even meeting GT, let alone being interviewed by her. Thanks for the heads up - at least I will now be prepared - imagine just walking into the room and seeing her there, a boy could fall apart in such moments....

I totally understand that, but I found it strangely comforting that I actually sort of knew her already from university challenge / other videos I found - I got much more nervous going into the second interview where I hadn't met the tutors before. I can assure you she's lovely though so don't be worried at all about meeting her!
Original post by somegirlcalledea
Thats crazy! 6 A-levels?? What do you take?

Anyway hopefully I'll see you there...

I took Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Computer Science, Further Maths and Information Communication Technology. Taking them easier when you like the courses.

Are you applying for Balliol too? What do you plan to do at Uni?
Original post by Rjkooljay
I took Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Computer Science, Further Maths and Information Communication Technology. Taking them easier when you like the courses.

Are you applying for Balliol too? What do you plan to do at Uni?

Wow man that's crazy O.O I can get the computer science/ICT as our school teaches both course together but 6?? you have dedication...

I want to do Computer science, not sure about the college at Oxford though haha
Original post by Gerald DGrilla
You know if you tell that story I think it would go down really well. Generally if you could have studied Latin or Greek, but chose not to, it's a pretty bad sign about your commitment to the subject, but clearly you regret the decision, so it could work in your favour.

Which summer school are you thinking of? If you are near London the UCL/KCL course is superb, and they cater for all levels, I've been three times and am going again this year.

This year it is at UCL: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/classics/schools-and-colleges/summerschool

Then of course there is Bryanston, and I understand that there some in the North too.... But you better get your skates on they fill up and if you don't get on one there will be more commitment issues.

But, overall I think you should go for it if you really want it, it will be hard work - but at Oxford, everything is hard work.

Do as much prep as you can!

Good luck.
G D'G

I've applied and been accepted onto the JACT Classical Civilisations and Ancient History summer school because to be honest I couldn't afford the language ones, this one is expensive enough. That said i'm hoping it still shows i'm interested and there will be some Latin learning on the course.

The real reason for me wanted to go to Oxford apart from the evident prestige is the 1 year intensive Latin course, i'd actually love to do that and it makes me feel if I went elsewhere I wouldn't be as well versed in the language.
Original post by politicalmind
Who on here is from private/ public school - I am, just curious, as one is.

I go to boarding school. Want to do Law at Brasenose or Christchurch. How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dancarter
I totally understand that, but I found it strangely comforting that I actually sort of knew her already from university challenge / other videos I found - I got much more nervous going into the second interview where I hadn't met the tutors before. I can assure you she's lovely though so don't be worried at all about meeting her!

How exciting!
Are there any prospective Chemists on here?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 5rosie-brown
GCSE grades: 1A, 10A*, 1A^
AS-Levels: Predicted AAAA for French, Geography, Maths, English Lit. Going to drop Geography for A2.
Course: French
College: Je ne sais pas :smile:

Fellow linguist!!
Bonjour!
Original post by LamantChenille
Fellow linguist!!
Bonjour!

Linguists ftw bonjour to you all
Original post by trad1998
I go to boarding school. Want to do Law at Brasenose or Christchurch. How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome - I also want to do Law, looking to go to Christchurch, University college or Exeter College - what are your grades and what are you studying?
GCSEs: 13 A*s, 1 A
A-Levels: Maths, Economics, Spanish, Politics
Course: Undecided between PPE and Economics + Management
College: Christ Church
Any Classicists here going up to the 2/7 open day?
GCSE grades: 4 A* and 6 A
A-Levels: Biology, chemistry, maths and physics
Course: Biomedical science
College: Undecided but leaning towards Magdalen

Latest

Trending

Trending