The Student Room Group

Human Biology As Unit 1 - Unofficial Mark Scheme

AQA
Can we start an unofficial mark scheme going?
All the things i spent ages revising didn't come up!
Who else thought the first questions were hard?

1) What is a vitamin?
An organic molecule that is needed for enzyme function

What is the function of vitamins?
Needed for enzyme function?

How can the body get vitamin k?
From beneficial gut bacteria

Scientists say a diet should be high in fruit and veg. Give two reasons why.
High in fibre so reduces risk of colon cancer and constipation
Contains vitamins and minerals for enzyme function
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jess.91097
AQA

1) What is a vitamin?

Apparently it's an organic molecule. I wrote a molecule that aids metabolic processes 😐🔫

How did you find the rest of it? I had no clue with the calculation 😤
Original post by adamdcurrie
Apparently it's an organic molecule. I wrote a molecule that aids metabolic processes 😐🔫

Also vitamin K is produced by gut bacteria...
Reply 3
Yes i think that's what i put, i found it alright but was just annoyed it seemed that they missed out loads of the syllabus and tested us on the small bit i didn't know as well :/ what about you?
Agreed. Some weird questions in there, the cells that line the gut for absorption of amino acids is no where in the revision guide. The picture of the cell where you had to say what P and Q were I think the first one was nucleus but there wasn't a clear circle drawn like in all the books, and why mitochondria where different shapes? Confusing. How a B-cell uses them was another question too?
Reply 5

I thought the calculation was really straightforward? I think you just had to look at the artery oxygen level and then the vein level for 140, and work out the percentage difference. They'd already done the one for 70 - so you just had to minus one from the other.

For me it was 5.6. My friend got 6, because he'd rounded-up further.

Did everyone else get that?
Reply 6
AQA

1) What is a vitamin?
An organic molecule that is needed for enzyme function

Needed for enzyme function?

From beneficial gut bacteria

Scientists say a diet should be high in fruit and veg. Give two reasons why.
High in fibre so reduces risk of colon cancer and constipation

I put essential micronutrient for vitamins, so I hope it's okay.

I've had to Google about enzymes and vitamins; it's not on our syllabus is it? So I assume we didn't have to be so precise in our answer. - Just read textbook, I was wrong - "many of them interact with important enzymes". Hoping just some examples of what vitamins do in the body, will suffice for what vitamins do. *fingers crossed*

I think two reasons, were more than just fibre - I think you had to put two reasons (ie - fibre, low in calories, source of vitamins and minerals) and then add on why that reason was correct.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Agreed. Some weird questions in there, the cells that line the gut for absorption of amino acids is no where in the revision guide. The picture of the cell where you had to say what P and Q were I think the first one was nucleus but there wasn't a clear circle drawn like in all the books, and why mitochondria where different shapes? Confusing. How a B-cell uses them was another question too?

See I wasn't sure if it was the smooth ER or the nucleus they were referring to. It sort of encompassed the whole thing. I put the former (and then stated it surrounded the nucleus).

Mitochondria are different shapes because it was a cross-section of the cell, so mitochondria were "sliced" at different angles. I remembered this after the exam, having had a question on this prior. *face palm*.
Reply 8
I thought it was the nuclear envelope :/
Reply 9
For me it was 5.6. My friend got 6, because he'd rounded-up further.

Yes i did, just did difference over original x100 i think
Reply 10
I thought it was the nuclear envelope :/

Now, that seems likely too. :s-smilie:
Original post by Kefte
See I wasn't sure if it was the smooth ER or the nucleus they were referring to. It sort of encompassed the whole thing. I put the former (and then stated it surrounded the nucleus).

Mitochondria are different shapes because it was a cross-section of the cell, so mitochondria were "sliced" at different angles. I remembered this after the exam, having had a question on this prior. *face palm*.

Awful question. I said that some mitochondria were smaller/larger dependant on function within the cell. Wrong then - greeeeeat.
Reply 12
How a B-cell uses them was another question too?

BTW - was the B-cells about how they need Rough ER and golgi body? As far as I'm aware, that's because antibodies are proteins - so for synthesis and packaging/transport?

Hated the Isotonic drink question too. The 4-mark question on nutritional values of the sports drink, struggled to think of 4 things to say on that. Then the experiment for the sport's drink, this is the last question I did (went back to it at the end) and rushed through it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kefte
BTW - was the B-cells about how they need Rough ER and golgi body? As far as I'm aware, that's because antibodies are proteins - so for synthesis and packaging/transport?

Hated the Isotonic drink question too. The 4-mark question on nutritional values of the sports drink, struggled to think of 4 things to say on that. Then the experiment for the sport's drink, this is the last question I did (went back to it at the end) and rushed through it.

Yeah I said to synthesise, process and package proteins requires in protein synthesis.

Wasn't a fan of the sports drink one either. Rambled on about glucose being used as an energy source to produce ATP, water being used in cell processes, and increasing blood volume to increase blood supply to muscles etc.

The experiment I said to randomly split his team into 2 groups, give one the sports drinks and the other a placebo so they were blind to it. Have them both drink the drink over a certain amount of time (1 week) and then get them to run a certain distance (100m) at the start and end of the week. Compare the mean results from each group. Complete guess.
Reply 14
See, I said split into two groups, then crossed it out - as then I realised that would change the variables (because the two groups might have different athletic abilities). So I said one group asking to run the same race twice, using water first and then sports drink second, drinking at the same point during the race. I remember there was a similar experiment in a past paper - so I used that as a guideline. Then went on about controlling variables.

What did everyone put about the SIV question at the end - when it said some scientists didn't think it was a good idea to find a treatment for HIV using monkeys (or was it chimps?) and SIV?

I just put because it's SIV (not HIV) it might give different results. And then went into the ethics.
Original post by Kefte
See, I said split into two groups, then crossed it out - as then I realised that would change the variables (because the two groups might have different athletic abilities). So I said one group asking to run the same race twice, using water first and then sports drink second, drinking at the same point during the race. I remember there was a similar experiment in a past paper - so I used that as a guideline. Then went on about controlling variables.

What did everyone put about the SIV question at the end - when it said some scientists didn't think it was a good idea to find a treatment for HIV using monkeys (or was it chimps?) and SIV?

I just put because it's SIV (not HIV) it might give different results. And then went into the ethics.

Was rushing towards the end of the exam so wrote about ethics, but imagine it's because monkeys are not humans and SIV isn't HIV?

Quick Reply

Latest