The Student Room Group

Geog2 AQA Geographical Skills 15th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Comeback
If you used GIS for analysis (not presentation) then it should be ok.

e.g. did you relate what GIS showed you to your hypothesis or aim or the underlying theory or conclusions?

Yes I did I mentioned how it showed that the rivers characteristics matched the theory of the Bradshaw model, as well how I could manipulate the data to see the overall trend, pick out anomalies and remove human influence in the analysis
Original post by j-alevels
Yes I did I mentioned how it showed that the rivers characteristics matched the theory of the Bradshaw model, as well how I could manipulate the data to see the overall trend, pick out anomalies and remove human influence in the analysis

Apparently there was a 2 mark line graoh question? Can you remember what it was, as I don't remember doing it?
Original post by crcrcrcrcr
Apparently there was a 2 mark line graoh question? Can you remember what it was, as I don't remember doing it?

It was on the desire line map of Shrewsbury. We had to add two desire lines.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by j-alevels

Well although we can only speculate your answer sounds good.
Original post by kingdoo
It would have been valid if you stated that you could work out the interquartile range or do standard deviation to see the spread of the data and then stating the implications for how this could help you accept your null or alternative hypothesis because the spread of data is significant.

I did Spearman's rank by the way because it is very easy to explain why it was data analysis e.g. saying it shows you the direction of the relationship which was negative in our case and that it also shows whether this is significant and not down to chance which other techniques like a scatter graph cannot do. Making it very easy for us to reject the null hypothesis.

i did make it clear that you could work out the ranges and quartiles etc, however i didn't link it to standard deviation :s-smilie: should have just gone with my first thought and used Spearman's, oh welllllll at least I got the standard deviation calculation right hahaha
does anyone know specifically what qualitative and quantitative data are? I bull****ted and said quantitative is collecting data based on numerical values or quantities for example bedload size in centimetres, and qualitative is based on qualities like bedload angularity e.g. rounded, smooth or angular :s-smilie: not sure if that was specific enough haha
Original post by ni4mhhh
does anyone know specifically what qualitative and quantitative data are? I bull****ted and said quantitative is collecting data based on numerical values or quantities for example bedload size in centimetres, and qualitative is based on qualities like bedload angularity e.g. rounded, smooth or angular :s-smilie: not sure if that was specific enough haha

4/4 :biggrin:
4/4 :biggrin:

yaaaay i hope so :biggrin:
Original post by ni4mhhh
yaaaay i hope so :biggrin:

I think you'd get one mark for Quantitative being 'numerical/similar', one mark for Qualitative being 'non-numerical/descriptive/similar' and then one for each for an example.

I did the same thing as you.
I think you'd get one mark for Quantitative being 'numerical/similar', one mark for Qualitative being 'non-numerical/descriptive/similar' and then one for each for an example.

I did the same thing as you.

Hello,

I couldn't think of an example for qualitative data so I just said I conversation analysis when collecting and analyzing my results.... I saw it on the markscheme but have no idea what it is xD

Would i get the mark?
Original post by SubwayLover1
Hello,

I couldn't think of an example for qualitative data so I just said I conversation analysis when collecting and analyzing my results.... I saw it on the markscheme but have no idea what it is xD

Would i get the mark?

lol I have no idea either. If it is associated with qualitative data and fieldwork then I assume they will count it!
(edited 8 years ago)
lol I have no idea either. If it is associated with qualitative data and fieldwork then I assume they will count it!

I remember reading it on the mark scheme for that question and for my fieldwork there was no qualitative so I just put that XD
Hello for the primary data collection q I spoke about rocks and stuff but I forgot to say that we measured them how much would this loose me?
Quantitative=Numerical data
Qualitative=Non-numerical data

I have to say, being forced to do stats GCSE by my school has helped me a lot in this paper!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
guys i messed up the qualitative/quantitative one - i said quantitave data was a measure of the magnitude or frequency of an event (e.g. depth at site 4 was 33cm) and qualitative was a measure of the type of event ("categorisation":wink: (e.g. types of human activity at different sites - none at site 3, a wall at site 4, straightening at site 6). how many marks do you think i'll be able to steal? :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 575
For the Stanadard deviation question
I only rounded the final answer to 2 decimal places
in terms of filling the missing sets of data i didnt round those answers to 2 decimal places

How many marks do you think i will lose pretty worried
Reply 576
Original post by mcsagan
For the Stanadard deviation question
I only rounded the final answer to 2 decimal places
in terms of filling the missing sets of data i didnt round those answers to 2 decimal places

How many marks do you think i will lose pretty worried������������

It Wanted the final answer to 2 decimal places so you'll be fine there,
not too sure about the ones in the table though...
Original post by Ugoegugorock
guys i messed up the qualitative/quantitative one - i said quantitave data was a measure of the magnitude or frequency of an event (e.g. depth at site 4 was 33cm) and qualitative was a measure of the type of event ("categorisation":wink: (e.g. types of human activity at different sites - none at site 3, a wall at site 4, straightening at site 6). how many marks do you think i'll be able to steal? :frown:

Well to be fair, those are examples of qualitative and quantities, so you'd probably get at least half marks for identifying examples. It was only a four mark question so don't fret too much :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys,that is the only geography discussion i can find,
Is anyone doing A-level geography Cambridge? How do you feel about it and is it possible to predict some questions? Thankss x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lilohrisl
Hey guys,that is the only geography discussion i can find,
Is anyone doing A-level geography Cambridge? How do you feel about it and is it possible to predict some questions? Thankss x

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's more A2 students in other threads : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3151385
This thread is mainly for the AS course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending