The Student Room Group

Economics Unit 2 Edexcel - Managing the UK economy Tuesday 19th May 2015 (PM)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lilieeeeeee
what are the grade boundaries usually like?

60-63 marks for an A

53-55 for a B
Original post by Mr.Samba
60-63 marks for an A

53-55 for a B

Ahh okay thanks, thatts not too bad
Original post by member1753327
Never heard animal spirits, but yes low profits can be a cause but would have expanded more, I put increases in NMW as it is factual and also high corp tax, some people argue that you had to take the recession into the account

The animal spirits (feelings about the economy's future) could be debatable. It does affect investment but mainly external investment. Probably true as the recession made everyone worried.

Low profits was a good one I think as I referenced to the recession that destroyed profits of firms, so they could not reinvest as much. I went into depth for this.
The animal spirits (feelings about the economy's future) could be debatable. It does affect investment but mainly external investment. Probably true as the recession made everyone worried.

Low profits was a good one I think as I referenced to the recession that destroyed profits of firms, so they could not reinvest as much. I went into depth for this.

That sounds decent, why did some people put investment increased, im pretty sure that its incorrect?
Original post by member1753327
That sounds decent, why did some people put investment increased, im pretty sure that its incorrect?

Maybe in nominal terms, but there was no information to show this. It clearly decreased from 33 billion to 29 billion if I recall correctly.

They would be more likely to ask a question on falling investment rather than improving investment as the only factors that would cause investment to rise are mainly optimism and high profits, whereas there are far more reasons for falling investment.

In my opinion they should have made it clear whether it fell or not as some people will have lost marks due to this.
Maybe in nominal terms, but there was no information to show this. It clearly decreased from 33 billion to 29 billion if I recall correctly.

They would be more likely to ask a question on falling investment rather than improving investment as the only factors that would cause investment to rise are mainly optimism and high profits, whereas there are far more reasons for falling investment.

In my opinion they should have made it clear whether it fell or not as some people will have lost marks due to this.

In those dates provided? because investment also risen in some period
It fell overall which is what I think and hope the question was focused on. It wouldn't ask two reasons for a fluctuating graph.
for the two possible reasons why investment changed from 2008-2013 I said:

1st reason: interest rates - if interest rates increased, investment would fall

2nd reason: overall business/economic confidence and future outlook - of course for firms to invest they have to be confident and invest at the right time, if confidence and outlook is low, investment will decrease

these are two valid reasons, right?
It fell overall which is what I think and hope the question was focused on. It wouldn't ask two reasons for a fluctuating graph.

yes overall the trend was a decrease in investment, I remember in 2008, there was a point (early 2008) where investment was very high, and in 2013 it had decreased considerably compared to that point
Original post by AJC1997
for the two possible reasons why investment changed from 2008-2013 I said:

1st reason: interest rates - if interest rates increased, investment would fall

2nd reason: overall business/economic confidence and future outlook - of course for firms to invest they have to be confident and invest at the right time, if confidence and outlook is low, investment will decrease

these are two valid reasons, right?

Yes, both valid :smile: I used the second one. And for the first reason they would likely use it, but not if they were harsh as interest rates haven't changed for a long time so it is incorrect. My economics teacher told me things like this will be incorrect in unit 3 and 4.

But an overall trend is not about if it goes upwards or downwards mainly. It's about the first value and the last value, that's all that counts. It decreased overall.
Yes, both valid :smile: I used the second one. And for the first reason they would likely use it, but not if they were harsh as interest rates haven't changed for a long time so it is incorrect. My economics teacher told me things like this will be incorrect in unit 3 and 4.

But an overall trend is not about if it goes upwards or downwards mainly. It's about the first value and the last value, that's all that counts. It decreased overall.

yeah, the way the question was asked felt like it was just testing pure theory on investment which is why I went straight for interest rates and confidence as I see these as being primary factors for investment
Original post by AJC1997
yeah, the way the question was asked felt like it was just testing pure theory on investment which is why I went straight for interest rates and confidence as I see these as being primary factors for investment

Both will be right. If you included data reference and go in depth enough you can easily get 8 marks.
Reply 972
I have a burning question, for the 30 marker i stated why they may not conflict then i put the fact in of britain being in deflation while we are in economic growth, will i get any evaluation marks for that or will i have to rely on my generic magnitude and elasticity evaluation points ?

Also for one of the 8 markers about the benefits of having low and stable inflation i wrote about the disadvantages of deflation

And can someone confirm the question about the data the mpc uses when setting interest rates, did the question include why they kept it at 0.5% or was it general ? Thank you
Original post by AJC1997

Was that the 8 marker
I said due to recession and corporation tax increase
If I forgot to tick the box on which question I did will it matter?
Original post by 11bowen-ashwinw
If I forgot to tick the box on which question I did will it matter?

No don't worry about it, I did the same for Unit 1 as did many others, it won't change anything :smile:
Original post by AJC1997
No don't worry about it, I did the same for Unit 1 as did many others, it won't change anything :smile:

Thanks! Literally just realised and was so worried! How did you find the two exams?
Original post by 11bowen-ashwinw
Thanks! Literally just realised and was so worried! How did you find the two exams?

I thought they both went quite well, not perfect as I know some places where I lost a few marks, but overall pretty good.

how did you find them?
Original post by AJC1997
I thought they both went quite well, not perfect as I know some places where I lost a few marks, but overall pretty good.

how did you find them?

Not bad, same here really. 30 marker on supply side policies was a godsend. But 12 markers were difficult and perhaps missed a few marks there
Original post by Jemy
Has anyone been able so far to 100% verify the 30 marker for question 1 and I mean verify word for word with their own eyes or through a teacher...? The British Council over here is being a bitch and not handing out the spare paper to my school...

for you and anyone else wondering, the EXACT wording of the 30 marker for question 1 (I have the paper) is:

'To what extent do demand-side policies lead to conflicts between macroeconomic objectives?'
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending