The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Depleted
Depends on school, my headteacher was on £140k ish and thats outside of London cos the school was ****. Even deputy is on £60-70k.

Also lold at subtle shots

what shots
Original post by Lúcio
yeah i'll get a 2.1, but i'm not aiming to be a teacher.

looking to do a masters at Leeds University in Organizational Psychology; it's technically a Business degree.
but yeah, if i ever did end up teacher, i'd certainly be aiming for at least head of department.

the ideal scenario is that i end up actually being happy getting up in the morning and going to work, but something that also pays decent.
it's nice to enjoy your job, but everybody needs to have a good amount of money to use in their spare time.

You and FK can meet up then
Original post by Lúcio

looking to do a masters at Leeds University in Organizational Psychology; it's technically a Business degree.
but yeah, if i ever did end up teacher, i'd certainly be aiming for at least head of department.

the ideal scenario is that i end up actually being happy getting up in the morning and going to work, but something that also pays decent.
it's nice to enjoy your job, but everybody needs to have a good amount of money to use in their spare time.

Original post by difeo
what shots

See above

LOL at Mr. Bakery however. Newcastle I refuse to consider RG btw.
Depends on school, my headteacher was on £140k ish and thats outside of London cos the school was ****. Even deputy is on £60-70k.

Also lold at subtle shots

The shots were unintentional, genuinely thought he was becoming a teacher.

Original post by Lúcio

Learning business acumen is quite pivotal to success I feel, at the very worst learning about business will help you get some income on the side via stocks and shares, bonds etc.

What do you want to become with that degree? I find having a structured plan always helps, then always having a couple backups in the case that things go wrong, just taking whatever comes your way is what many people do in desperation for a job/career then they end up not liking it and being in a worse position than they were before hand.
Original post by fallen_acorns
really depends on the dynamic of your home/parents I guess.

+ mm, but with wanting a house soon, then kids after that, etc. it all needs regular money, and chances are I wont be in a possition to do a masters or further study until I am a lot older.. or willing to do it part time alongside my main job.

it really pisses me off that i have to go back home.
don't get my wrong, i won't be in the house all the time, and it's lovely to go back to where i grew up, but my parents are pretty strict and i don't want to feel like a kid again.

you never know man; there's always time :smile:
if you ever found yourself with a bit of spare money in the future and you wanted to do something new, you could even do a part time masters over 2 years for instance like you said
my sister is a banker, working 9-5, 5 days a week but they funded a degree on the side ofr her and she did it :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jam277

Says it all though doesn't it...
Original post by Lúcio

my sister is a banker, working 9-5, 5 days a week but they funded a degree on the side ofr her and she did it :smile:

Yeah i'm gonna go meet her, she can be my sugar mommy
lol @ people who want to become teachers.. serriously it can be an utterly horrible career.

Ofcourse it can also be amazing and highly rewarding, but having gone in and worked at a number of different schools and colleges through my job over the past year, I would safely say that a high number hate their work.

The holidays and hours are not what they seem, and there is a reason why there is a 40% drop out rate to PGCE's

These days there is so much paper-work, ticking boxes, listening to incompetatnt managers who treat it like a buisness.. budget cuts, redundancies, short term contracts etc. It is no longer the safe job that it used to be for people who have a degree to fall back on.

Yet despite this you still see flocks of arts/humanities students swearing that 'Oh my god, I have always wanted to teach.. It just seems so rewarding!'

Bull****. You want to teach because it is one of the very few respectable jobs that pays above minimum wage that you can get with your un-applicable degree from your un-remarkable university. You want to become a teacher because you know that with 1 extra year of studying, you are pretty much guarenteed a job that pays 23k a year.

Some people may do it for the passion of teaching but they are in the minority.. most are in it because its the best career option they have, due to their poor choices before that.. and it should in now way be painted as anything nobel.

I mean I have sat in staff rooms with full tiem teachers and just listend to them lay into their jobs.. they hate the students, hate their bosses, hate the school, hate the goverement and its education policies.. and all of that lovely holiday? well most of that will be spent working anyway.. so.. great.

That said if you are good enoguh to get a job in a private school then your sorted. I have a few reilitives who work in private schools, one has done all his working life, and is now head of faculty. Those type of schools tend to take care of their staff well.. longer holidays, better pay, lots of foriegn trips, more flexibity + freedom to teach.. etc.

/rant.

Just get pissed when I hear people dressing up teaching as a nobel decision that they are so good for making, and that society should thank them for.. when really they are doing it because its the only likely alternative to working in a cafe and pinning thier arts degree on the wall.
thats what someone else said, but I dont get a drop-down box, I can type the name as slow as I like, a box never comes..

Ah well, does not matter really

You managed it in this post
despite changing the world we live in. I wouldn't label Steve Jobs a genius, in the same breadth as a Mozart or a Tesla.

A world class salesman. But not a genius.

thoughts @Depleted
Original post by Lúcio
don't get my wrong, i won't be in the house all the time, and it's lovely to go back to where i grew up, but my parents are pretty strict and i don't want to feel like a kid again.

if you ever found yourself with a bit of spare money in the future and you wanted to do something new, you could even do a part time masters over 2 years for instance like you said

Just looked at the degree and you can do it part time, over 2 years rather than full time for 1. Since you might only have a part time job on your year off you could do that alongside the job? Means you don't have to live at home.
Original post by Lúcio

Very true - One of my childhood dreams was to gain a PHD, so who knows maybe one day.. but yeah, it would take special circumstances such as my job offering it, or being rich enough to do it as a hobby etc.

+ yeah being treated like a kid sucks, but its so hard for parents to avoid.. I mean, I am graduated, married, had my own flat across the country, own job, money, etc. - fully indipendant in every way.. yet when I go home for holidays, in their eyes I am still a teenager :tongue: its kind of funny for a few days, but very annoying for longer
Original post by swirly
despite changing the world we live in. I wouldn't label Steve Jobs a genius, in the same breadth as a Mozart or a Tesla.

A world class salesman. But not a genius.

thoughts @Depleted

Disagree entirely
Original post by jam277

Learning business acumen is quite pivotal to success I feel, at the very worst learning about business will help you get some income on the side via stocks and shares, bonds etc.

What do you want to become with that degree? I find having a structured plan always helps, then always having a couple backups in the case that things go wrong, just taking whatever comes your way is what many people do in desperation for a job/career then they end up not liking it and being in a worse position than they were before hand.

in fairness, it wasn't that long ago that i was considering doing a PCGE, so that's fair enough.

yeah i agree - without being showy about it, i feel like i know the psychology; i just need to business knowledge and the relevant application which is something that the masters degree would help me develop.

basically, organisational psychology is all about improving business success by making the whole place more efficient from a psychological perspective.
so we're talking about improving things like recruitment, training, management and employee attitude at the very least.
this is the kinda thing where you'd either work as a consultant and be brought in to various business, or you'd be tied to a company to help keep things running smoothly.

as you said, you need to have fallback options, and if it doesnt work out, at the very least i'll have a masters degree in a psychology-related area in addition to a decent-ish amount of business knowledge.
so even if i don't like it and decide to do something else, i feel like i'd have ample qualifications to give me the opportunity to find something else
Original post by TornadoGR4
You managed it in this post

did that look like an @ to you?

I thought that came up differently as a 'tagged' underneat the post?

ah, as long as it functions the same, then that will do
Disagree entirely

elaborate pls.

you know he never did the technical side of things, that was Steve Wozniak.

Jobs was just the visionary and salesman.

in a head to head with Gates, if you HAD to give the genius label to one of them, it would be Gates.
(edited 8 years ago)
when really they are doing it because its the only likely alternative to working in a cafe and pinning thier arts degree on the wall.

Lol, spot on mate, it's a graveyard for the unlucky and unambitious.
Original post by Lúcio
in fairness, it wasn't that long ago that i was considering doing a PCGE, so that's fair enough.

yeah i agree - without being showy about it, i feel like i know the psychology; i just need to business knowledge and the relevant application which is something that the masters degree would help me develop.

basically, organisational psychology is all about improving business success by making the whole place more efficient from a psychological perspective.
so we're talking about improving things like recruitment, training, management and employee attitude at the very least.
this is the kinda thing where you'd either work as a consultant and be brought in to various business, or you'd be tied to a company to help keep things running smoothly.

as you said, you need to have fallback options, and if it doesnt work out, at the very least i'll have a masters degree in a psychology-related area in addition to a decent-ish amount of business knowledge.
so even if i don't like it and decide to do something else, i feel like i'd have ample qualifications to give me the opportunity to find something else

Agree. Also consultancy is the way to go. Most consultants will be on good money, mainly because the communication skills required is so important as well as the business acumen and working under pressure. Most consultant roles pay starting 20k-30k and you're likely to get up to 100k roles by the time you're in your 30s.
Original post by difeo
Just looked at the degree and you can do it part time, over 2 years rather than full time for 1. Since you might only have a part time job on your year off you could do that alongside the job? Means you don't have to live at home.

i considered that man, and i would be able to afford to do that in this coming year.
but then i considered the cost.

i'd have to pay 2 years worth of transport and/or rent (if i lived in leeds instead of at home) for the part time degree, not to mention that i don't really like the idea of doing it part time.
i'd be worried that i'd lose interest and not want to go through the full 2 years if you get me?
at least if it was only 1 year and i didn't like it, i'd make sure i'd finish the entire thing so i actually had the qualification.

as you said, 2 year part-time is an option, but it's one that i'm not overly fussed about.

Very true - One of my childhood dreams was to gain a PHD, so who knows maybe one day.. but yeah, it would take special circumstances such as my job offering it, or being rich enough to do it as a hobby etc.

+ yeah being treated like a kid sucks, but its so hard for parents to avoid.. I mean, I am graduated, married, had my own flat across the country, own job, money, etc. - fully indipendant in every way.. yet when I go home for holidays, in their eyes I am still a teenager :tongue: its kind of funny for a few days, but very annoying for longer

yeah exactly - i've always known that i wanted to get a masters, so at least if i have one i'll just feel like i've accomplished something huge in my life.

oh i agree - even though i'm 21, my parents will still see me as a kid if i'm back at home, and i understand it's more of a habitual response than anything else.
exactly, it can be okay for a week or so, coming home to a nicely furnished, well stocked house, but after too long you just feel a little suffocated.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lúcio
i considered that man, and i would be able to afford to do that in this coming year.
but then i considered the cost.

i'd have to pay 2 years worth of transport and/or rent (if i lived in leeds instead of at home) for the part time degree, not to mention that i don't really like the idea of doing it part time.
i'd be worried that i'd lose interest and not want to go through the full 2 years if you get me?
at least if it was only 1 year and i didn't like it, i'd make sure i'd finish the entire thing so i actually had the qualification.

as you said, 2 year part-time is an option, but it's one that i'm not overly fussed about.

Yeah makes sense. The year out from education will be a nice break so the way you're doing it should work well.
Original post by jam277
Agree. Also consultancy is the way to go. Most consultants will be on good money, mainly because the communication skills required is so important as well as the business acumen and working under pressure. Most consultant roles pay starting 20k-30k and you're likely to get up to 100k roles by the time you're in your 30s.

consultancy would be my preferred option (if i ever got one)
i feel like i have the skills to deal with a variety of different people in different levels of job intensity, not to mention the financial aspect that you so rightly pointed out.

i love going around different workplaces and see how they differ, how they're set up differently and all the different tiny things that other people may think are trivial.
to some people, i understand that this kind of thing is super boring, but i find it interesting so it's all i care about.

my brother's girlfriend's dad (bit of a mouthful) runs a similar business with consultants like that, and she said she could try and get me a little work experience
so that's something i'm definitely gonna try to do on my year off since it would only help and give me a clearer picture of things.

Original post by difeo
Yeah makes sense. The year out from education will be a nice break so the way you're doing it should work well.

exactly; i've been in education without a break since i was 4, so this will be interesting.
i'll still be doing a fair amount of work, but it's also relaxing to know that you free time is completely free.
no assignments or revision that you could be doing; you can literally just do whatever you want with nothing in the back of your mind.

Latest