The Student Room Group

WJEC English Literature GCSE 18th and 22nd May.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by maya_jadee
Last year it was 50/68 for an A in the exam

What was it for an A*?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TarotOfMagic
After leaving the exam, my friend and I analysed the poem on his phone and we kinda thought about how the lilacs were probably a portrayal of female prostitution. Think about it, the cracked, isolated alleyways. The men on the phones and also the flesh and cash? Which probably links to human trafficking and how female 'flesh' is bought with cash. In addition, it mentioned that love is not a distinction for the lilacs. I just wish I wrote this in my exam. My exam went so terrible. :frown:

What was the title of the poem?
It was 'City Lilacs' by Helen Dunmore
Original post by Phutile
Thought the exam was super lucky for me; I find the mood and atmosphere questions extremely easy! So I had a M&A for OMAM and AIC calls - the grin I had on my face when I noticed them!
For AIC I picked the essay on Mrs Birling, as it was easy to list her background and the events in the book.

I then did Heroes, the extract again was quite straightfoward; having to explain Larry's change in persona from Hero to Villian and danger throughout the extract; then finally, I chose how does Cormier give sympathy to Francis; this was extremely simple in comparison to the other question on the themes, which I thought was absurd because the only theme I could think of was Larry abusing his power of the kids and Francis. For the sympathy quesiton you simply had to list anything bad that happened in Francis's life, then explain why it was bad, what it linked to and how it gives sympathy. Happy ;D

Woohoo! Someone like me😂
I think your the onlt other person who went for the same two as me
Original post by TarotOfMagic
After leaving the exam, my friend and I analysed the poem on his phone and we kinda thought about how the lilacs were probably a portrayal of female prostitution. Think about it, the cracked, isolated alleyways. The men on the phones and also the flesh and cash? Which probably links to human trafficking and how female 'flesh' is bought with cash. In addition, it mentioned that love is not a distinction for the lilacs. I just wish I wrote this in my exam. My exam went so terrible. :frown:

Oh yeah, I was talking about this to my English teacher.
WJEC actually cut out part of the exam, and wrote at the "hint sentence"
Both of these poems are about nature taking over the man-made world
"City Lilacs" as it is, isn't about that.
She thinks WJEC changed up the poem a bit, and wanted you to write about nature, rather than prostitution, and those who wrote about that will lose marks on A03
A03 is comparison, how do you show those two poems are similar without relating to nature?
I do the history boys and a Christmas carol and of mice and men. What would my OVERALL grade be including all of the things below?

I think I got around 38/50 for the unit 1 (35% of grade)
I think I got around 53/68 for unit 2 (40 % of final grade
I also got 36/40 in my literature course work (25% of final grade)
Original post by Dexoseman
I do the history boys and a Christmas carol and of mice and men. What would my OVERALL grade be including all of the things below?

I think I got around 38/50 for the unit 1 (35% of grade)
I think I got around 53/68 for unit 2 (40 % of final grade
I also got 36/40 in my literature course work (25% of final grade)

Is there not two controlled assessments for literature? Extended literary study and Shakespeare/poetry?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Billy0709
Is there not two controlled assessments for literature? Extended literary study and Shakespeare/poetry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. I have only completed the Shakespeare and poetry controlled assessment
No. I have only completed the Shakespeare and poetry controlled assessment

Did you not do one based on one of the books you did in the exam? I did

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did you not do one based on one of the books you did in the exam? I did

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's for the language coursework.
That's for the language coursework.

Really!? That seems odd seeing as though novels are based around literature and the title of the assessment is 'extended literary study'.
(edited 8 years ago)
Really!? That seems odd seeing as though novels are based around literature and the title of the assessment is 'extended literary study'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm basing this off a poster in the English department at my school. I've attached a picture.
image.jpgHere it is
I'm basing this off a poster in the English department at my school. I've attached a picture.

Wow, yes I just checked, you are correct. Still doesn't seem right though. I only got 31 on Shakespeare and that was somehow the second best in my class. Other schools seem to do so much better for coursework, or we just have harsh teachers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 974
Extract questions were alright actually. They are worth 20 marks on that paper and as a whole 30 marks, which shows how significant extract questions are.
I was expecting the essay question to be based on Roger for 'Lord Of The Flies'. And I was right :smile: This year WJEC didn't let me down and my predictions were correct…. I knew they would concentrate on Candy and Roger this year… So I am happy for not being shocked whilst looking at the essay questions for Literature :smile:

I hope I did well and hoping to see an 'A' under English Literature on Results Day… Fingers crossed!
Wow, yes I just checked, you are correct. Still doesn't seem right though. I only got 31 on Shakespeare and that was somehow the second best in my class. Other schools seem to do so much better for coursework, or we just have harsh teachers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It will all be sorted with moderation so you'll be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ladyrailly
Teacher asked me what I did for AVFTB. Said I did the Marco question. She freaked out bc she's never taught it us. She asks me how I did it. I told her and I apparently got it right! yaaaaas

Literally everyone else doing LOTF chose the savagery question... I chose Roger bc I knew he was going to come up so I revised him loads. In the last 5 minutes tho I realised I hadn't put any SCH in (like the question asked!) so I scribbled in something about Himmler which made me very happy :smile: The extracts for both texts were kinda difficult though...

How did you set out your Marco question? We'd been told before once that it was just a character analysis question in a different form. I did it like a letter to an actor, what did you do? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jakobus2012
It will all be sorted with moderation so you'll be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually yeah I think a few of my CA's were slightly brought up through the moderation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How is everyone feeling about language on June 2nd? I always struggle with time and so does everyone in my school to be honest. Don't see the point in a time limit really, if you can do it, surely it doesn't matter how long it takes you to do it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How is everyone feeling about language on June 2nd? I always struggle with time and so does everyone in my school to be honest. Don't see the point in a time limit really, if you can do it, surely it doesn't matter how long it takes you to do it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can give you some help with this. I find Language super easy (especially the reading)

Reading:
1 hour. 4 questions. 15 minutes each max.

Q1: Information retrieval
Read the question, then mark out the section of the text. Read through the text and highlight a minimum of 10 different points in answer to the question. You don't need to then write these out as a plan.
Introduction sentence (E.g "In the article...":wink:
Write out your 10-12 points, using quotations (some examiners are picky) using connectives and accurate SPaG.
Conclusion sentence ("Overall":wink:
Remember you don't need any analysis!

Q2 and Q3: Writers viewpoint/attitude/impression
Read the question then highlight a minimum of 8 different points/quotations to use in answer to the question
There's two ways to do this one.

i) Categorise.
Put your points into three different topics/categories.
Write your answer based on these points (PEA-PEA-PEA-O)
Make sure you have at least 5 analysis sentences (this doesn't need to be too detailed or "zoomed in":wink:
Move from the specific to the overall ways in which the writer creates their viewpoint/attitude/impression

ii) Don't categorise
Just plan your points into a logical (maybe chronological) order.
Write your answer based on these points (PEEA-EAEA-EA-EA-PEEEA-EA-O)
Again, make sure you have at least 5 analysis sentences, and move from the specific to the overall.

Q4: Compare and Contrast
Make sure you have a wide range of points, and that they are clearly organised (if the question gives you subtitles, use them!)
Planning, use the subheadings, and find points for each writer
Example plan:

Spoiler

Use phrases that show compare/contrast (like the poetry in Lit)
You don't need any analysis!
Remember a concluding paragraph to show you're moving from specific to the overall.
Here's an example of an answer that got 10/10 (with the above plan), that I did for my Y11 mocks:

Spoiler

Writing:
1 hour, 2 questions, about 25-30 minutes each (checking time)

For the writing, there a different types:
Reports
Speeches
Articles
Review
Formal/Informal letters
Leaflets

For each one, make sure you write down PALL (Purpose, Audience, Language, Layout) as part of your plan.
If you're stuck on a certain type, ask your English teacher, or try and read some of them.
Overall tips to remember.
PAPA V has flair (Punctuation and sentence structure, Audience and purpose, Paragraphing and structure, A FOREST, Vocabulary, Flair)
A FOREST (Alliteration, Fact, Opinion, Rhetorical Questions, Emotive Language, Statistics, Triplets)

Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending