The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics MPC4 Core 4 - 9th June 2015 [Discussion & unofficial markscheme]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by student0042
Yes, that's the one I thought it was. Anyway with the correct points, the line AD would be parallel with B (line 2 of µ = 1)(E).
The line BC and CE would be the same length, and are on the same line hence there are 2 values of µ. You want the shorter one as it's a trapezium.

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would anyone be able to explain in the very last question on the january 2013 core 4 paper why you have to differentiate again to get the maximum rate of growth
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-MPC4-QP-JAN13.PDF
Reply 542
Yes, that's the one I thought it was. Anyway with the correct points, the line AD would be parallel with B (line 2 of µ = 1)(E).
The line BC and CE would be the same length, and are on the same line hence there are 2 values of µ. You want the shorter one as it's a trapezium.

So a shorter line is used for trapezia and longer for parallelograms?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

The trapezium and parallelogram have same lengths. The value of µ is different. The smaller value of µ will correspond to the trapezium the larger value, the parallelogram.
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does it not depend on which line and the orientation of the trapezium? But least I know how to decide now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 545
The trapezium and parallelogram have same lengths. The value of µ is different. The smaller value of µ will correspond to the trapezium the larger value, the parallelogram.

Thank you - is this always the case?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Thank you - is this always the case?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think so. There aren't many vector questions involving trapeziums, but it should be the case for all of them.
Reply 547
I think so. There aren't many vector questions involving trapeziums, but it should be the case for all of them.

I appreciate that - thank you :smile:

How are you finding revision?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
I appreciate that - thank you :smile:

How are you finding revision?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't started it yet, but having a good memory (which I have) really helps when trying to recall what to do. I want to focus on Physics Unit 2, C3 and FP1 first with a bit of C4 in there. I feel ready for the exam but they might throw something nasty in there. What about you?
Reply 549
I haven't started it yet, but having a good memory (which I have) really helps when trying to recall what to do. I want to focus on Physics Unit 2, C3 and FP1 first with a bit of C4 in there. I feel ready for the exam but they might throw something nasty in there. What about you?

I agree with you there. Suspecting the unexpected (if that's even possible). What grade are you hoping for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
I agree with you there. Suspecting the unexpected (if that's even possible). What grade are you hoping for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing a full A level in my first year at college, so hopefully an A*.
Reply 551
I'm doing a full A level in my first year at college, so hopefully an A*.

That's impressive. Don't C3 and FP1 clash?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
That's impressive. Don't C3 and FP1 clash?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. It's a displaced exam. My college just offered it as an extra module this year, so I thought I do it as I enjoy maths.
Reply 553
Yes. It's a displaced exam. My college just offered it as an extra module this year, so I thought I do it as I enjoy maths.

Oh I see so you don't do further maths? What subjects do you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Oh I see so you don't do further maths? What subjects do you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will be studying further maths A level next year.

At the moment I study Maths leading into further maths for the second year (counts as 2 subjects), french, spanish and physics. What about you?
Reply 555
I will be studying further maths A level next year.

At the moment I study Maths leading into further maths for the second year (counts as 2 subjects), french, spanish and physics. What about you?

Woah. 5 A levels will be a tough ask but I'm sure you're capable :smile: what do you wanna do after?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Woah. 5 A levels will be a tough ask but I'm sure you're capable :smile: what do you wanna do after?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I want to do maths at A level. Hopefully at Oxford, but I'm also applying to Warwick. At UCL and Manchester I'm applying for maths + languages.
Reply 557
I want to do maths at A level. Hopefully at Oxford, but I'm also applying to Warwick. At UCL and Manchester I'm applying for maths + languages.

That sounds great - best of luck. I had an interview for Computer Science at Oxford but got rejected after that - one piece of advice would be to prepare for the MAT well in advance over summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by leeehenryy
Would anyone be able to explain in the very last question on the january 2013 core 4 paper why you have to differentiate again to get the maximum rate of growth
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-MPC4-QP-JAN13.PDF

This question is a bloody nightmare. My teacher tried explaining it to me but I still do not fully understand. It's all to do with the wording of the question. You have to 'differentiate again' because the rate of growth equation they give you should be treated as an equation and not as the first derivative of the n= 500/(1-9e^t/8)
Therefore by differentiating the rate of growth equation, your actually finding the first derivative. Which you then make equal zero to find the stationary point etc etc.

But i still dont even understand because to get the answer to b) i you had to differentiate the equation given in the stem of the question so surely it is the first derivative???? So confusing
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by CD223
That sounds great - best of luck. I had an interview for Computer Science at Oxford but got rejected after that - one piece of advice would be to prepare for the MAT well in advance over summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm starting to prepare now, but will do more over the summer.

Original post by tomixox
This question is a bloody nightmare. My teacher tried explaining it to me but I still do not fully understand. It's all to do with the wording of the question. You have to 'differentiate again' because the rate of growth equation they give you should be treated as an equation and not as the first derivative of the n= 500/(1-9e^t/8)
Therefore by differentiating the rate of growth equation, your actually finding the first derivative. Which you then make equal zero to find the stationary point etc etc.

But i still dont even understand because to get the answer to b) i you had to differentiate the equation given in the stem of the question so surely it is the first derivative???? So confusing

I just said max when N = 250, which in the mark scheme gives 2 marks instead of differentiating it. I understand it better that way.

Quick Reply

Latest