The Student Room Group

How long should i revise for?

so its exam week in a few weeks time and I have started to revise. I was wondering how long I should spend on a subject a day before moving onto the next one?
I'm doing about 7 hours a day, an hour per subject. Try to take short breaks between sessions. Good luck with your exams!
Hmm realistically for gcses you're looking at about 5 minutes of hard core revision per fortnight

A-levels it's about 5 minutes per 1 minute of hardcore revision from your existence as an embryo

Yours truly,
a mentally-fatigued-a-level-student
Reply 3
Original post by horsewithnoname
I'm doing about 7 hours a day, an hour per subject. Try to take short breaks between sessions. Good luck with your exams!

This is solid advice. It's better to take breaks after about 25 minutes for five minutes (to both reflect and have some peace), than to continue that whole hour.
Original post by Magistl
This is solid advice. It's better to take breaks after about 25 minutes for five minutes (to both reflect and have some peace), than to continue that whole hour.

the thing is, my breaks turn into 30 mins instead of 5 mins :cry:

so i revise for 10 mins then take a 30 mins break, looool..
You've got gcses that haven't started yet?
Reply 6
Original post by ajaxkiller
the thing is, my breaks turn into 30 mins instead of 5 mins :cry:

so i revise for 10 mins then take a 30 mins break, looool..

At least by eighty minutes you've done twenty minutes revision :u: Optimism aside: have you considered using a timer? :P
Original post by Magistl
At least by eighty minutes you've done twenty minutes revision :u: Optimism aside: have you considered using a timer? :P

Hmm, i might consider using one!!
Realistically, how many minutes should i study and then how many minutes
should i take a break?
Reply 8
Original post by ajaxkiller
Hmm, i might consider using one!!
Realistically, how many minutes should i study and then how many minutes
should i take a break?

How many exams/subjects do you have left?
It all depends on yourself and how you learn the best.
You should really aim to be doing an hour at a time, but I have a long concentration span so I do 2 hours at a time.
For every hour you do you should take a half hour break! so if you do two hours you get an hour break!

I would also make sure you spread it out over the day. I do roughly 8 hours a day as follows...
8am - wake up and eat!!
9am - 11am - 2 hours of revision
11am - 12pm - 1 hour break with a snack (hopefully healthy)
12pm - 2pm - 2 hours of revision
2pm - 3pm - 1 hour break with a late lunch
3pm -5pm - 2 hours of revision
5pm - 6pm - 1 hour break with dinner (my house eat early lol)
6pm - 8pm - 2 hours of revision
8pm - 9pm - finished

some night I do some consolidation of what i have learnt in the day from 9-10!!

Its always going to be up to you, but this revision plan has never failed me!!
as for how long to spend on each subject, I do 3 subjects and I spend 2 hours a day on each, and on 1 of my subjects I spend 4 hours!!
Original post by Magistl
How many exams/subjects do you have left?

3; (s1 - maths, physics and two exams for computer science)
Original post by TheTruthTeller
You've got gcses that haven't started yet?

Maybe I should've made this clear, I have started a couple of gcses, but I'm not doing my GCSE exams, I'm not in year eleven but I am still doing end of year exams which will determine for my GCSE things.
Reply 12
I'd say 3 hours a day would be reasonable.

At most I've only started revision two nights before for real GCSEs (done 11 out of 20 so far) and they've gone pretty well, but leave yourself more time than that.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest