The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9120
Figured I'd relay my thoughts on the second season of Sidonia no Kishi seeing as I hadn't watched it the last time I posted.

So, I'm currently up to date and I'd say it's definitely living up to my expectations. The overall production remains more than solid. I can't get over the sound effects during the battle sequences. I typically have the volume on the louder side of things to make use of the system I have and Sidonia no Kishi certainly delivers in this regard. Similarly, the CG animation is not only continuing to prove that it can hold its own against the more conventional 2D approach, but in this case, it actually enhances the viewing experience. It adds a certain charm and distinguishes Sidonia no Kishi as a result.

The story has taken an unexpected and almost endearing turn with the introduction of our Chimera friend, Tsumugi. She's a fun addition to our cast, even though there's always an element of uneasiness about how things will transpire from this point onwards. I can't help but compare this season with another anime, Heroic Age, in that both anime share a near identical premise of humans fighting for their survival as the underdogs against a more advanced alien race, of whom bear a similarity. What's more, Tsumugi's power balancing abilities are not unlike those of Age in Heroic Age.
Original post by Aiko
Figured I'd relay my thoughts on the second season of Sidonia no Kishi seeing as I hadn't watched it the last time I posted.

So, I'm currently up to date and I'd say it's definitely living up to my expectations. The overall production remains more than solid. I can't get over the sound effects during the battle sequences. I typically have the volume on the louder side of things to make use of the system I have and Sidonia no Kishi certainly delivers in this regard. Similarly, the CG animation is not only continuing to prove that it can hold its own against the more conventional 2D approach, but in this case, it actually enhances the viewing experience. It adds a certain charm and distinguishes Sidonia no Kishi as a result.

The story has taken an unexpected and almost endearing turn with the introduction of our Chimera friend, Tsumugi. She's a fun addition to our cast, even though there's always an element of uneasiness about how things will transpire from this point onwards. I can't help but compare this season with another anime, Heroic Age, in that both anime share a near identical premise of humans fighting for their survival as the underdogs against a more advanced alien race, of whom bear a similarity. What's more, Tsumugi's power balancing abilities are not unlike those of Age in Heroic Age.

Glad to hear you're liking it, it's definitely my favourite thing airing this season, and Tsumugi has to be one of my favourite characters too. :biggrin:
Reply 9122
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Glad to hear you're liking it, it's definitely my favourite thing airing this season, and Tsumugi has to be one of my favourite characters too. :biggrin:

Probably mine too, even though Shokugeki no Souma, Sound! Euphonium and Ore Monogatari!! are close behind. :yes:
Original post by Aiko
Probably mine too, even though Shokugeki no Souma, Sound! Euphonium and Ore Monogatari!! are close behind. :yes:

Arslan Senki and Kekkai Sensen are the main competition it's been facing in my blog rankings (all three are in with a chance of making my Top 50), though JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is really good at the moment as well. I'm finding it to be a really good season. :biggrin:
Reply 9124
Arslan Senki and Kekkai Sensen are the main competition it's been facing in my blog rankings (all three are in with a chance of making my Top 50), though JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is really good at the moment as well. I'm finding it to be a really good season. :biggrin:

Arslan Senki is clearly a good series and one I will definitely see through to the end, but I'm not anticipating the next episode in the same way as those I've mentioned in my previous post. The same applies to Kekkai Sensen, but even more so. I've only seen the first two episodes, so I need to play catch up on that one.

I also forgot to mention FSN UBW and the second season of Baby Steps, which I'm enjoying a lot. Hell, I'm also liking Plastic Memories too and Oregairu 2... Yamada-kun to 7-min no Majo is also surprisingly fun to watch, even though it's far from the best thing I'm watching this season. Frankly, the more i think about it, I'm enjoying a lot of the stuff I'm watching at the moment in equal measure. Even Highschool DXD is fun to watch (for very different reasons). :tongue:

I guess the biggest disappointment is Seraph of the End. It's far from bad, but I had higher than average expectations for this one, which it's not currently matching. Similarly, the second season of Nisekoi is failing to keep me interested like the first one did. It doesn't help that I've read the manga goes downhill too. Another one that started off somewhat promising is Mikugara School Suite, but it's kind of becoming a bit meh at the moment. :sadnod:
Oooh at midnight, I supposedly save Ouran High School Host Club for summer but it is popping up everywhere on the internet thus I subconsciously manipulated by it! D: Plsss give me mercy, I have exams but oh well stay up till 4am just to watch 12 episodes...Today I will try to finish it so 14 episodes left to gooo ^_~

Pretty much most people seen it right, very popularrrr >_<
Original post by Aiko
Arslan Senki is clearly a good series and one I will definitely see through to the end, but I'm not anticipating the next episode in the same way as those I've mentioned in my previous post. The same applies to Kekkai Sensen, but even more so. I've only seen the first two episodes, so I need to play catch up on that one.

I also forgot to mention FSN UBW and the second season of Baby Steps, which I'm enjoying a lot. Hell, I'm also liking Plastic Memories too and Oregairu 2... Yamada-kun to 7-min no Majo is also surprisingly fun to watch, even though it's far from the best thing I'm watching this season. Frankly, the more i think about it, I'm enjoying a lot of the stuff I'm watching at the moment in equal measure. Even Highschool DXD is fun to watch (for very different reasons). :tongue:

I guess the biggest disappointment is Seraph of the End. It's far from bad, but I had higher than average expectations for this one, which it's not currently matching. Similarly, the second season of Nisekoi is failing to keep me interested like the first one did. It doesn't help that I've read the manga goes downhill too. Another one that started off somewhat promising is Mikugara School Suite, but it's kind of becoming a bit meh at the moment. :sadnod:

Kekkai Sensen just seems to get better and better for me, episodes 5 and 6 were amazing! Definitely worth catching up on, in my opinion. :biggrin: Arslan, on the other hand, seems to be slowing down a bit, but the characters and dialogue make up for it.

I'm sharing your disappointment with Owari no Seraph - I've just not warmed to the characters in the same way as I have for everything else this season. Plot is also more generic than I expected after the strong first episode, and the pacing is very slow as well. At least it looks pretty, and has a brilliant opening theme. :p:
UBW gets me hyped and feels like it sets up for an amazing episode then it gets to Saturday and they chat about ideals for 20 mins and clash swords about 5 times. I am enjoying the 2nd season overall though.
Original post by Red Fox
UBW gets me hyped and feels like it sets up for an amazing episode then it gets to Saturday and they chat about ideals for 20 mins and clash swords about 5 times. I am enjoying the 2nd season overall though.

Yeah UBW is good but nothing special. Really, really pretty though. Imo not on the same level of greatness as fate/zero.

I absolutely adored fate zero for the fantastic characters and the themes of naivety, ignorance and how believing strongly in your own ideals does not guarantee success, emphasising the inevitability of failure in the goals the character's possessed. Perhaps this is permeated through the nihilistic and pessimistic writing of Gen Urobuchi.

In short: UBW doesn't give me quite the same vibe that F/Z did, due partly to the conveyance of themes and portrayal of the characters.
Original post by Red Fox

Cheers for the advanced warning, I do love those long chats about ideals. :yawn:
Original post by Omar717
Yeah UBW is good but nothing special. Really, really pretty though. Imo not on the same level of greatness as fate/zero.

I absolutely adored fate zero for the fantastic characters and the themes of naivety, ignorance and how believing strongly in your own ideals does not guarantee success, emphasising the inevitability of failure in the goals the character's possessed. Perhaps this is permeated through the nihilistic and pessimistic writing of Gen Urobuchi.

In short: UBW doesn't give me quite the same vibe that F/Z did, due partly to the conveyance of themes and portrayal of the characters.

Yeah definitely, Fate/Zero is better than UBW. Having adult characters was a lot more believable than some high schoolers dicking around with heroic spirits.

Cheers for the advanced warning, I do love those long chats about ideals. :yawn:

It's not as bad as last weeks chat to be fair.
Reply 9131
Just been having a clear out/ adding in recent series and general review of my want to watch list on AP. So this knights of sidonia series... the opening is the muse song isnt it?:biggrin: Otherwise thats one missed opportunity.:sad:
Original post by vin
Just been having a clear out/ adding in recent series and general review of my want to watch list on AP. So this knights of sidonia series... the opening is the muse song isnt it?:biggrin: Otherwise thats one missed opportunity.:sad:

That would have been cool, but nope, we got angela belting out two great military-sounding songs instead. Which is fine with me! :biggrin:

Only good anime this season are Yahari season 2 and JoJo. JoJo is still weaker than the first two arcs. The rest are a mix of meh and terrible. Ore Monogatari was pretty funny the first couple of episodes but it's a Shoujo anime so obviously it's already repetitive and cringe-worthy.
Reply 9134
I watched gundam the origin. Whilst it was a pretty good origin story I was hoping for more unicorn-esque animation :sadnod:

RE: Fate Stay UBW

Spoiler

Not sure why that's in spoiler tags, as nothing new was established in the last episode. Well, with the exception of

Spoiler

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it, but Saber's role in this arc seems pretty redundant beyond 'facilitating' the aforementioned spoiler. A bit odd, considering I was in Akihabara for the first half of UBW, and Saber's face was plastered on all the promotional material. She is pretty much the face of the series though (and quite rightly so /fangirl)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by El Nombre
RE: Fate Stay UBW

Spoiler

Not sure why that's in spoiler tags, as nothing new was established in the last episode. Well, with the exception of

Spoiler

I'll hold off on opening those and replying properly until I've seen the episode, all the same. :yes:

Decided to stock up on old OVAs again, as I'm all out - Dream Dimension Hunter Fandora has that brilliant 80s fantasy look that you just don't get these days (that hair, and those helmets :giggle: ), while I got Andromeda Stories (actually a TV special, pre-dating the first anime OVAs) because I've been meaning to read the manga for a while, and only just found out there was an anime adaptation. :beard:

...thought I'd let everyone know, in case they ever show up in a future 'Identify the Anime' thread. :evil:
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm now up to date with F/SN UBW - a bit more eventful and enjoyable than last week's ep, but they are really dragging things out.

I'm not keeping up with new shows, but I have often found anime + philosophy and/or long chats lead to :yawn:

I recall enjoying both GiTS SAC series, but caring little for the movies I watched.

Started watching Princess Ressurection last night after getting the box set- I got one half of the series from the US years ago, only watched a few episodes back then. Pretty run of the mill, but Liza :teeth:
This is painful to read! I've been really enjoying UBW lately and I thought episode 20 was one of the best so far. I enjoy the chats about ideals a lot; the clash of personalities and outlooks is what I like so much about the Fate series. I know Fate Zero had a much better cast - though I think UBW's cast is great but we've just been stuck with Shirou and Rin - but the chats about ideals were endless. I'm surprised you guys rate it highly if you don't like that.

Latest