Buying a smaller property/house is better?

Watch
kka25
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'd always wanted a landed-house with a decent size lawn, but recently I came to realise that maintenance of a medium size house can be tedious and expansive. If I had a smaller property, perhaps it'd be easier to maintain and cheaper as well.

I'm unsure though; anyone has the same view?
r-t
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It depends on where you're buying. A 2 bedroom flat in London is more expensive than a 4 bedroom house in say South Yorkshire for example. I'd always said I'd rather buy a big house in a not so decent area than a small house for the same price in a decent area but now I'd rather buy a small house in a decent area than a bigger one in a less decent area. But yes it is easier to maintain but the price depends on where you are buying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
kka25
Rep:
?
(Original post by r-t)
It depends on where you're buying. A 2 bedroom flat in London is more expensive than a 4 bedroom house in say South Yorkshire for example. I'd always said I'd rather buy a big house in a not so decent area than a small house for the same price in a decent area but now I'd rather buy a small house in a decent area than a bigger one in a less decent area. But yes it is easier to maintain but the price depends on where you are buying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well, it doesn't matter for this case I think since the maintenance, cost and effort to the maintain the house would still need to be considered. At the moment I find maintaining a small room is hard enough, what's more a house with a small backyard!
whorace
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not really sure why people need so much room, a kitchen with a table, a living room with a rug, bookcase and fireplace, and a bedroom will do me all good.
r-t
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by kka25)
Well, it doesn't matter for this case I think since the maintenance, cost and effort to the maintain the house would still need to be considered. At the moment I find maintaining a small room is hard enough, what's more a house with a small backyard!
Yeh I agree. Atm I live in a 3 bedroom house and I find it difficult to maintain. A one bedroom flat would be so much easier to clean and cheaper aswell but I suppose having more space does have its own advantages.

Posted from TSR Mobile
kka25
Rep:
?
(Original post by r-t)
Yeh I agree. Atm I live in a 3 bedroom house and I find it difficult to maintain. A one bedroom flat would be so much easier to clean and cheaper aswell but I suppose having more space does have its own advantages.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I used to think the larger the space the better; now I'm not even sure why I did.

(Original post by whorace)
Not really sure why people need so much room, a kitchen with a table, a living room with a rug, bookcase and fireplace, and a bedroom will do me all good.
A kitchen with a table, a small living room (for visitors perhaps) with a fireplace or a heater and a bedroom with a bathroom would be just nice I think as well.
r-t
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by kka25)
I used to think the larger the space the better; now I'm not even sure why I did.
Yeh to me the area is more important than the space though. Also it depends if you're thinking of living by yourself or having a family.

Posted from TSR Mobile
kka25
Rep:
?
(Original post by r-t)
Yeh to me the area is more important than the space though. Also it depends if you're thinking of living by yourself or having a family.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Even with a family, I'd think I'd prefer a smaller place really : /

I may change my mind if I had one one day!
r-t
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by kka25)
Even with a family, I'd think I'd prefer a smaller place really : /

I may change my mind if I had one one day!
Yeh you might do haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
PinkMobilePhone
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Depends on who you're living with I guess. If I were on my own I'd be fine with a small house. However I have a large family, and even our 3 bedroomed semi is too small. I have to cram my three boys into one room :

(yes I know the bottom bunk needs a mattress, the toddler is still in his cot in our room for now. He'll be moving in with his 2 older brothers in July).

Could definitely use more space.
kka25
Rep:
?
(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
Depends on who you're living with I guess. If I were on my own I'd be fine with a small house. However I have a large family, and even our 3 bedroomed semi is too small. I have to cram my three boys into one room :

(yes I know the bottom bunk needs a mattress, the toddler is still in his cot in our room for now. He'll be moving in with his 2 older brothers in July).

Is it hard to maintain the house, Pink? I mean, I'm sure you have days where you'd say, "pah! I can't do this cleaning/maintaining nonsense any more!"
PinkMobilePhone
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by kka25)
Is it hard to maintain the house, Pink? I mean, I'm sure you have days where you'd say, "pah! I can't do this cleaning/maintaining nonsense any more!"
It's the bane of my existence to be honest, but that's because everyone else makes the mess and I spend my life tidying up other peoples' messes.

If I were living alone it would be MUCH easier. (But then again I wouldn't have my family, so I guess it's worth it).
Alfissti
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by kka25)
I'd always wanted a landed-house with a decent size lawn, but recently I came to realise that maintenance of a medium size house can be tedious and expansive. If I had a smaller property, perhaps it'd be easier to maintain and cheaper as well.

I'm unsure though; anyone has the same view?
I've always seen the home should always be based upon location. Not too keen on long commutes or being too far away from anything and I certainly am not one to take part in a long school run.

Good locations in UK will always carry a premium but since in UK just about anything and everything tends to be a postcode lottery it might just be a good idea to live somewhere with a good location. Surprisingly it affects quite a lot, community services, healthcare services, quality of food you can buy and most certainly schools. Also the postcode you live in will determine the price of your car insurance as well. Therefore it might just pay to live somewhere better even if it is in a smaller house.

Smaller homes do tend to cost less to run though if it is in a posh location do expect that if any maintenance work needs to be done that the price will be more. If you are buying a home in a fairly posh area often the fixtures would have been off a higher quality too so while it won't breakdown do expect that if it does that it will cost more to fix.
kka25
Rep:
?
(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)

Pink, are those plastic containers expansive? I bought some plastic containers as well and they are expansive! I bought them to replace the cardboard boxes that I normally used to store things.

I think that's when I started to think of having a small house is probably the better option lol.
kka25
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alfissti)
I've always seen the home should always be based upon location. Not too keen on long commutes or being too far away from anything and I certainly am not one to take part in a long school run.

Good locations in UK will always carry a premium but since in UK just about anything and everything tends to be a postcode lottery it might just be a good idea to live somewhere with a good location. Surprisingly it affects quite a lot, community services, healthcare services, quality of food you can buy and most certainly schools. Also the postcode you live in will determine the price of your car insurance as well. Therefore it might just pay to live somewhere better even if it is in a smaller house.

Smaller homes do tend to cost less to run though if it is in a posh location do expect that if any maintenance work needs to be done that the price will be more. If you are buying a home in a fairly posh area often the fixtures would have been off a higher quality too so while it won't breakdown do expect that if it does that it will cost more to fix.
Location is very important; I'd rather stay in a place where I don't have to have a long commute really.
Bill_Gates
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am swaying towards smaller property at the moment, nightmare looking after a big property. We live in an 7 bed at the moment and something always needs to be done!!

In the future will be a smaller house in a nicer location but will still need spare bedrooms
Imperion
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
For yourself yeah. Got a family, you're better off being 'comfortable' than 'affordable'. Both a subjective so it depends
turn-to-page394
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by whorace)
And a bathroom

And OP: If you're living alone, then yeah, i agree. some people just like the space i guess for all their stuff and don't mind cleaning it
kka25
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bill_Gates)
I am swaying towards smaller property at the moment, nightmare looking after a big property. We live in an 7 bed at the moment and something always needs to be done!!

In the future will be a smaller house in a nicer location but will still need spare bedrooms
This is what I'm trying to avoid really; it's just too costly IMO.

(Original post by Imperion)
For yourself yeah. Got a family, you're better off being 'comfortable' than 'affordable'. Both a subjective so it depends
Perhaps I may change my mind once I have one :moon:
whorace
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by turn-to-page394)
And a bathroom

And OP: If you're living alone, then yeah, i agree. some people just like the space i guess for all their stuff and don't mind cleaning it
I **** in the woods in a bear costume, its part of my culture dont judge
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (50)
28.41%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
7.95%
No I am happy with my choice (98)
55.68%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (14)
7.95%

Watched Threads