The Student Room Group

What makes someone British?

So my question is what makes someone British? is it when you have british citizenship,when you are born in Britain,When your parents are born in Britain,When you are raised in Britain but not born in Britain

Many people call themselves British but their parents are not born in Britain and people who are born abroad but have British parents and are raised in england but where not born in England call themselves British.Do you grandparents also need to be born in Britain what is the answer?

What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

I'd say you'd have to be White and European. Anything else and you just can't qualify.
When you drink tea and eat crumpets every day.
Reply 3
When you put your milk in first for your tea.

(I guess it depends. Technically I am half British but I consider myself fully Irish.)
Passport
Reply 5
Original post by WillNegForReps
I'd say you'd have to be White and European. Anything else and you just can't qualify.

I'm European, but I'm not white and I'm most certainly British.
1. Vile teeth
2. Policy of wiping their ass with tissues only and walking around with feces stain on their ass cheeks while holding prejudice of asians being unhygienic (in their minds)
3. Complains about the weather
Original post by JD1lla
I'm European, but I'm not white and I'm most certainly British.

Yeah, no you're not.
It might say on your passport you're British, but if you're not white, you are from a different part of the world.
British = lots of Europeans jammed together. I don't know any Europeans that aren't white.
Stiff upper lip
Reply 9
Original post by grassntai

2. Policy of wiping their ass with tissues only and walking around with feces stain on their ass cheeks while holding prejudice of asians being unhygienic (in their minds)

:lolwut:
chips
Drinking insane amounts of tea, incessant complainig but not doing anything about the problem, "carrying on" when things are bad, excessively polite or a chav??
Reply 12
Yeah, no you're not.
It might say on your passport you're British, but if you're not white, you are from a different part of the world.
British = lots of Europeans jammed together. I don't know any Europeans that aren't white.

I was born in England. How am I not British?

What about people from Macedonia? Or Kazakhstan ? They're not really 'white'. And are both European. And if my passport says I'm British, then I'm British. Why am I not British just because you say I'm not?
(edited 8 years ago)
Passport. However, I'm Swedish and I have a British Citizenship and this is my home... Others may disagree but I would say I am British.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
In all seriousness, someone merely has to have citizenship to be technically British. Since British isn't an ethnic term it is in that sense at worst meaningless and at best fluid, so either only those who can prove Brythonic or Goidelic ancestry are British, or anyone who identifies with our established values and customs is. It's clear that the latter is the more sensible option.
Original post by JD1lla

What about people from Macedonia? Or Kazakhstan ? They're not really 'white'. And are both European. And if my passport says I'm British, then I'm British. Why am I not British just because you say I'm not?

Where are you actually from?
Original post by JD1lla

Kazakhstan is in Europe? Are you ****ing joking me? Now everybody wants to be in Europe. It's disgusting. Europe is for Europeans only.
Reply 17
Kazakhstan is in Europe? Are you ****ing joking me? Now everybody wants to be in Europe. It's disgusting. Europe is for Europeans only.

Yeah, it's a member of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (not that thats directly indicitive of a European nation...but still) Large amount of population speak Russian. Technically it's Eurasian, but so would Russia, you consider Russia European right?

And I told you, I'm from England. I'm British. Logic would dictate that maybe one/both of my parents are not from England. Hence why I'm not 'white'. If you saw me in person, you'd assume I was white. But I am not. I am mixed race. I do not understand why that would render me not British?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JD1lla
Yeah, it's a member of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe. Large amount of population speak Russian. Technically it's Eurasian, but so would Russia, you consider Russia European right?

And I told you, I'm from England. I'm British. Logic would dictate that maybe one/both of my parents are not from England. Hence why I'm not 'white'. If you saw me in person, you'd assume I was white. But I am not. I am mixed race. I do not understand why that would render me not British?

No I don't as a matter of fact. The only reason some countries like Russia and Kazakhstan may be seen by some as part of Europe, is because those countries so desperately want to join the group.
Reply 19
No I don't as a matter of fact. The only reason some countries like Russia and Kazakhstan may be seen by some as part of Europe, is because those countries so desperately want to join the group.

The group? What group? Europe is just a term used to describe a geographic location? It's just land mass?

You haven't answered my questions. Why am I not British in your eyes?

Latest