The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics MM2B Mechanics 2 - Monday 22nd June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by morgan8002
No. Mostly in pure and mechanics I do it in my head for the practice(STEP). Stats I do use the calculator a lot though.

Ah that's fair enough! Gonna try and teach myself basic stats and Further Pure for uni over summer. Very casually though - not to exam standard lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Ah that's fair enough! Gonna try and teach myself basic stats and Further Pure for uni over summer. Very casually though - not to exam standard lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, similar. I've pretty much done all of the further pure stuff for all the boards(just partial derivatives left now I think), but I want to start studying analysis and learn more complicated methods for solving differential equations and more linear algebra over the summer.
There's also lots of numerical methods I don't know(CIE has at least a whole module on them) so will study them too.
I know most of the mechanics content too but am by no means exam ready on a lot of it so I'll work on it a bit to get it solid.
Stats has always been my weakest and I've only done two modules and have done no further reading on the subject so stats will be the biggest thing to learn and will probably take the most time.
My final goal for the summer is to know(and be exam ready in) everything covered in every A-level maths/statistics/further maths syllabus, plus learn some other stuff just for fun.
And then there's plenty of physics to learn too. Maths is just one half.
Reply 182
Original post by morgan8002
Yeah, similar. I've pretty much done all of the further pure stuff for all the boards(just partial derivatives left now I think), but I want to start studying analysis and learn more complicated methods for solving differential equations and more linear algebra over the summer.
There's also lots of numerical methods I don't know(CIE has at least a whole module on them) so will study them too.
I know most of the mechanics content too but am by no means exam ready on a lot of it so I'll work on it a bit to get it solid.
Stats has always been my weakest and I've only done two modules and have done no further reading on the subject so stats will be the biggest thing to learn and will probably take the most time.
My final goal for the summer is to know(and be exam ready in) everything covered in every A-level maths/statistics/further maths syllabus, plus learn some other stuff just for fun.
And then there's plenty of physics to learn too. Maths is just one half.

Woah that's some goal!
I just wanna make sure I'm aware of basic maths required for Comp Sci.

Posted from TSR Mobile
image.jpgCan anyone help me with 4c) please? Thanks.
Reply 184
Original post by Tibooster

Which paper is this please? I remember that question so I should have workings for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Which paper is this please? I remember that question so I should have workings for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Jan 2009
Reply 186
Original post by Tibooster

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432464455.658777.jpg

Here are my workings. When freely suspended, an object will hang at an orientation such that the centre of mass will lie directly below the point of suspension. In this case, this is P.

In order to work this question out, draw a direct line from P to the centre of mass of the lamina that you have just worked out. (11,5)

You can then work out through alternate angles and other symmetry that θ\theta in the diagram is the angle between AD and the vertical. Working this out gives:

[br]θ=tan1(15)=11.3o[br][br]\theta = \tan^{-1} \left(\dfrac{1}{5}\right) = 11.3^{o}[br]

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 187
Anyone know a way to remember which forces act and in which conditions a full circle is possible for vertical circles?

Things like:
particle on a string
mass in a cylinder
bead threaded on a circle

?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 188
Also, can I please have some help with the last part of this hideous question?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432835321.364625.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
IMG_2479.JPG.jpeg
Reply 190
Original post by andywells
IMG_2479.JPG.jpeg

Thanks so much! How's your prep for this exam going?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just done my first paper for this, went a lot better than I thought it would, a lot easier than the questions in the book. Although seeing that question above makes me think it must have just been an easy paper I did 😐
Reply 192
Original post by JackNorman
Just done my first paper for this, went a lot better than I thought it would, a lot easier than the questions in the book. Although seeing that question above makes me think it must have just been an easy paper I did 😐

Which paper did you do? Some can be easy and some can be hard. That question above was from Jan 13 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Which paper did you do? Some can be easy and some can be hard. That question above was from Jan 13 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was Jan 12 I did
Reply 194
It was Jan 12 I did

That question was a bit of a one off up there ^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
That question was a bit of a one off up there ^

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hope so 😁
Reply 196
Hope so 😁

How are you prioritising this exam? I might stop revising for it now, and focus on my exams up to the 11th June

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
How are you prioritising this exam? I might stop revising for it now, and focus on my exams up to the 11th June

Posted from TSR Mobile

That paper says the first I've done and I hadn't looked at M2 in about a month, got 71 so I think I'll be alright to leave it until the 16th when I have a 6 day break from exams and just hammer it then
Reply 198
That paper says the first I've done and I hadn't looked at M2 in about a month, got 71 so I think I'll be alright to leave it until the 16th when I have a 6 day break from exams and just hammer it then

Sounds sensible man :smile: are you taking it as part of A2 Maths or Further?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Sounds sensible man :smile: are you taking it as part of A2 Maths or Further?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm just doing it as an additional unit, which is why I'm having to self teach it 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending