The Student Room Group

Industrial Economics

Industrial Economics, was wondering whether this is a good degree for investment banking front office? It's just I was worried it looks a lot like business studies, and I heard business studies is a terrible degree for FO IB

Course overview: The management of the modern business. It entails a wide-ranging economic analysis of the firm, its international structure, markets and competitors as well as external economic environment. The economic approach to business is complemented with a choice of management studies modules covering the latest thinking in a range of subjects such as strategy and marketing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Nottingham's a semi-target, it's fine.
Original post by 11harry11
Industrial Economics, was wondering whether this is a good degree for investment banking front office? It's just I was worried it looks a lot like business studies, and I heard business studies is a terrible degree for FO IB

Course overview: The management of the modern business. It entails a wide-ranging economic analysis of the firm, its international structure, markets and competitors as well as external economic environment. The economic approach to business is complemented with a choice of management studies modules covering the latest thinking in a range of subjects such as strategy and marketing.

where did you hear this?
Reply 3
Original post by gr8wizard10
where did you hear this?

A mate of mine told me not to pick business studies if I want to go into IBD. I just took their word for it
Reply 4
Original post by James E Walker
Nottingham's a semi-target, it's fine.

I also have an offer for maths from nottingham, not too sure which to go for. Then economics at other unis , prefer Nottingham tho from the open days
A mate of mine told me not to pick business studies if I want to go into IBD. I just took their word for it

what does this mate of urs do?
Reply 6
Original post by gr8wizard10
what does this mate of urs do?

He's still a student, doing econ at Southampton
Reply 7
He's still a student, doing econ at Southampton

You'd be better off doing business studies at a target/'semi-target' than doing anything at Southampton pretty much.
Reply 8
Original post by Noble.
You'd be better off doing business studies at a target/'semi-target' than doing anything at Southampton pretty much.

Oh I see, so uni ranking matters more than course choice. I originally applied for econ at Nottingham but was rejected and instead offered a place for industrial economics. Didn't know much about it but when I read about it, it looked pretty similar to business studies.
Reply 9
Oh I see, so uni ranking matters more than course choice. I originally applied for econ at Nottingham but was rejected and instead offered a place for industrial economics. Didn't know much about it but when I read about it, it looked pretty similar to business studies.

Yes. Generally (and perhaps more-so for IBD than other front-office roles) where you did your degree matters more than what you did.
Reply 10
Original post by Noble.
Yes. Generally (and perhaps more-so for IBD than other front-office roles) where you did your degree matters more than what you did.

Thank you for the advice, I also have an offer for maths at Nottingham but would prefer to do something related to finance, so I believe I will firm industrial econ there instead, after I do my research on it and if I am still interested in it.
Reply 11
Also does anyone know much about Nottingham or studied there; about commuting from a campus, I want to apply for accommodation in uni park campus, but industrial econ is in jubilee, is there like a free bus journey between campus's ?
Reply 12
Thank you for the advice, I also have an offer for maths at Nottingham but would prefer to do something related to finance, so I believe I will firm industrial econ there instead, after I do my research on it and if I am still interested in it.

Yes, do what you think you'd enjoy. If you don't think you'd enjoy maths at university at this stage, I'd categorically recommend that you do not do it :lol:
Reply 13
Also does anyone know much about Nottingham or studied there; about commuting from a campus, I want to apply for accommodation in uni park campus, but industrial econ is in jubilee, is there like a free bus journey between campus's ?

You'd be better off posting this in the Nottingham University part of the forum. :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Noble.
"""

Thanks mate, appreciate the advice!
Original post by Noble.

as noble said, uni matters more than course for the most part. if you think you'd enjoy industrial econ, go for it

I'll be doing Computer Science (also jubilee) at Notts in Sept and I'll be staying on UP.

There's a free hopper bus connecting the campuses - it runs every 15 mins. When I went for an applicant day the buses into town and back were only £1 for each way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't do IE @ Notts myself but I know people who do. It seems to be quite a nice, niche area of economics. It's a shame that it's viewed by some as a lesser substitute for pure economics because the degree has a more practical element to it, albeit it is not as rigorous as pure in maths content. Career prospects are what you make of your time there.
does anyone know if industrial economics at nottingham requires a good knowledge of maths? I have an offer but have seen on other posts that you may struggle without A level maths?
Original post by pa521100
does anyone know if industrial economics at nottingham requires a good knowledge of maths? I have an offer but have seen on other posts that you may struggle without A level maths?

"strength and growth comes only through continuous effort and struggle" - napolean hill

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending