The Student Room Group

Mechanical engineering subjects A'levels?

I'm planning on taking mechanical engineering for my uni but I don't know which subjects I should take in my A levels, I'll be giving my As exams this October but I don't know if the subjects I choose were the right ones. I'm studying Maths, Chem and Physics but are these enough? I've also been told that I need to take 4 Subjects At-least!!!
I also want to try and get A*'s on these subjects, since my grades at O'levels weren't what I would call 'SATISFYING' (Almost all B's)
My Dad was happy but I want to make him proud. I'm taking the exams this October and really need advice here. If you guys know anything helpful please tell be. Be it any info on the subjects or just a little friendly advice,I'll take it!!!. These exams are REALLY important for me, They're kind of my last shot at getting an A*

Scroll to see replies

Maths and Physics are required and further maths is recommended for some universities. The fourth A-Level is up to you.
Reply 2
Someone I know who is going to imperial to do mech engi takes Maths, Further maths, Chem, Physics. You could also take STEP in the second as a bonus but not necessarily required.
Reply 3
Maths & Physics are recommended. Chem is not required.

Maybe add a FM AS-level next year concentrating on Mechanics modules.
Reply 4
Original post by 8472
Someone I know who is going to imperial to do mech engi takes Maths, Further maths, Chem, Physics. You could also take STEP in the second as a bonus but not necessarily required.

Thanks, BTw can I ask, in Maths, are Core 1 and Pure 1 The same?
Reply 5
Original post by Rome<3
Thanks, BTw can I ask, in Maths, are Core 1 and Pure 1 The same?

2 different 'Pures'. Pure core 1 and Further Pure Core 1.

As you'd guess further pure is harder but you usually only do it if you do further maths where as pure core 1 is standard for maths. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by jneill
Maths & Physics are recommended. Chem is not required.

Maybe add a FM AS-level next year concentrating on Mechanics modules.

Hmm so Chem is not required? Great Turns out that was the subjects I enjoyed the most :facepalm:
Reply 7
Original post by 8472
2 different 'Pures'. Pure core 1 and Further Pure Core 1.

As you'd guess further pure is harder but you usually only do it if you do further maths where as pure core 1 is standard for maths. :smile:

So they are the smae. Thats a relief I thought I'd have to start all over again
Thank you so much for the help!!! :hug:
Reply 8
Original post by hoping4Astars
Maths and Physics are required and further maths is recommended for some universities. The fourth A-Level is up to you.

I don't know about Further Mathematics but In Maths I'm giving two part Mechanics 1 and Pure 1
Mechanics is kind of a mix of Maths and Physics but I don't know if it counts as a fourth subject or a part of Maths itself
Chemistry is still somewhat helpful for understanding certain aspects of materials (a big part of mech eng), but Maths and Physics are the most important subjects. Any others you choose will be of less importance.
Reply 10
Original post by Rome<3
Hmm so Chem is not required? Great Turns out that was the subjects I enjoyed the most :facepalm:

That's good - so don't drop it :smile:

As other's have said it is useful, just not required.
Reply 11
Original post by jneill
That's good - so don't drop it :smile:

As other's have said it is useful, just not required.

Really? Hmm. I think you're right it would be a waste to drop it since I've already come this far. Thanks for the help
Reply 12
Original post by + polarity -
Chemistry is still somewhat helpful for understanding certain aspects of materials (a big part of mech eng), but Maths and Physics are the most important subjects. Any others you choose will be of less importance.

So, Its better to concentrate on Maths and Physics since they're the main subjects.
I guess you're right. I'll have to first study these too before I decide on taking Chem as well.
Thank :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by hoping4Astars

Do I need to take 4 subjects? or is it just an option?
Reply 14
Original post by Rome<3
Do I need to take 4 subjects? or is it just an option?

Most uni applications are based only on 3 A-Levels.
Reply 15
Original post by JT4NG56
Most uni applications are based only on 3 A-Levels.

Hmm and is mechanics 1 a part of maths or a separate subject? (I keep asking everyone this cause I've already started studying it TvT)
Reply 16
Original post by Rome<3
Hmm and is mechanics 1 a part of maths or a separate subject? (I keep asking everyone this cause I've already started studying it TvT)

A-Level Maths is a combination of C1, C2, C3, C4 and two other units (either Mechanics, Statistics or Decision). So your maths A-Level can be C1, C2, C3, C4, M1 and M2.
Reply 17
Original post by JT4NG56
A-Level Maths is a combination of C1, C2, C3, C4 and two other units (either Mechanics, Statistics or Decision). So your maths A-Level can be C1, C2, C3, C4, M1 and M2.

Sorry for asking this but how many of them do I need to prepare for As levels?
I think P1 and M1
Reply 18
Original post by Rome<3
Sorry for asking this but how many of them do I need to prepare for As levels?
I think P1 and M1

I'm assuming you mean Pure 1 for P1, it's also referred to as PC1 or C1 usually. For AS Level, you need 3 modules in total, C1, C2 and another unit (Decision, Mechanics or Stats). You are probably be best doing C1, C2 and M1 since you have already started studying M1.
Reply 19
Original post by JT4NG56
I'm assuming you mean Pure 1 for P1, it's also referred to as PC1 or C1 usually. For AS Level, you need 3 modules in total, C1, C2 and another unit (Decision, Mechanics or Stats). You are probably be best doing C1, C2 and M1 since you have already started studying M1.

Thanks, Thats really helpful, have you taken Maths in A levels?

Quick Reply

Latest