The Student Room Group

International Baccalaureate from another country

hey,
I don't really know about much about this qualification as I did a levels myself, however my girl, who's from a different country, wants to study medicine when she comes to England and I was thinking what are the chances of her getting into medicine with International Baccalaureate studied outside the UK. Does she have to do GCSEs or do english language test as she's from a non-english speaking country(although her english is pretty much like anyone here, plus she's fluent in french). I don't really know how the grading works, but she's said that she got 17 and that maximum you can get is 20.
She's going to apply as home student since the type of visa she has allows her to study or work like anyone else in the country, if that's gonna help:smile:
thanks in advance
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by alan-93
hey,
I don't really know about much about this qualification as I did a levels myself, however my girl, who's from a different country, wants to study medicine when she comes to England and I was thinking what are the chances of her getting into medicine with International Baccalaureate studied outside the UK. Does she have to do GCSEs or do english language test as she's from a non-english speaking country(although her english is pretty much like anyone here, plus she's fluent in french). I don't really know how the grading works, but she's said that she got 17 and that maximum you can get is 20.
She's going to apply as home student since the type of visa she has allows her to study or work like anyone else in the country, if that's gonna help:smile:
thanks in advance

Hi :smile: IB is the same no matter which of the 146 countries that has it you´ve studied in. England, Zambia or wherever - makes no difference.

Most important thing is that she has the IB diploma and good enough grades. You can get 17 points, but that´s failing (max is 45 points). She also needs sufficient English i.e. typically English A and not B. If she doensn´t have that, she will need to take an extra tests. The specifics will be available on individual uni´s websites.
Are you certain it's the IB? What you describe with it being out of 20 (plus her being fluent in French) sounds a LOT more like the Baccalauréat or the Option Internationale du Baccalauréat which are completely different qualifications to the IB.
Uhm yeah I'm gonna have to agree with Green_Pink cuz the maximum for IB is definitely not 20.
Reply 4
Original post by alan-93
hey,
thanks in advance

International students are extremely unlikely to get a place on any medical course in the UK. This is because there is funding from the National Health Service and they insist on having a maximum of UK residents. This is the case for medicine, nursing, audiology, speech therapy etc. I advise her to email a couple of admissions tutors to check but as far as I know something like 5 international students a year get places to study medicine in the UK.
Original post by PJDK
International students are extremely unlikely to get a place on any medical course in the UK. This is because there is funding from the National Health Service and they insist on having a maximum of UK residents. This is the case for medicine, nursing, audiology, speech therapy etc. I advise her to email a couple of admissions tutors to check but as far as I know something like 5 international students a year get places to study medicine in the UK.

That's only the case if she's not an EU citizen and even then may not be relevant depending on exactly what this visa is.
Reply 6
thanks so much guys.
i emailed a few unis and sent her a scan copy of her qualifications to them and they said she's welcome to apply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending